+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dons Autobiographies/Biographies and General Dons books

I picked up a copy of a book of a guy who used to play for Aberdeen in the 60s, called Davy Johnston, who I don't think I have heard of, called 'The Silent Assasin'. Never heard of the guy, but I usually read anything about ex Aberdeen footballers so see how it goes.

Scored 37 goals in 99 games, not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    I picked up a copy of a book of a guy who used to play for Aberdeen in the 60s, called Davy Johnston, who I don't think I have heard of, called 'The Silent Assasin'. Never heard of the guy, but I usually read anything about ex Aberdeen footballers so see how it goes.

Scored 37 goals in 99 games, not too shabby.
    Hinna heard of him????

Out of the mooths of babes and sucklings....

Written by Nern journo Donald Wilson and published by Desert Island Books. A good read, and an honest appraisal of a player who could have been a huge star. 66-67’s team was special. A pity that the Lesbo Lie-Ins were specialer.

https://aberdeenvoice.com/2010/10/pi...davy-johnston/

My old man's all time favourite player was George Hamilton. Last game for the Dandies was in 1955.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    My old man's all time favourite player was George Hamilton. Last game for the Dandies was in 1955.
    Like many Dons of the time, the war robbed him of many of what would have been his best years. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Hinna heard of him????

Out of the mooths of babes and sucklings....

Written by Nern journo Donald Wilson and published by Desert Island Books. A good read, and an honest appraisal of a player who could have been a huge star. 66-67’s team was special. A pity that the Lesbo Lie-Ins were specialer.

https://aberdeenvoice.com/2010/10/pi...davy-johnston/
    I honestly don't think I have heard of him, my Dons knowledge pre 1970 is fairly limited, but looking forward to reading about him. ANy guy who gives up Pittodrie to work in a laundry must have a half decent story to tell.

His goal scoring exploits for Nairn County are very impressive though and his overall career goals tally is non too shabby and that includes a good return for the dons too.

Being of a certain erm...vintage, I can reel off:
    Clark, Whyte, Shewan, Munro, McMillan, Petersen, Storrie, Smith, Johnston, Melrose, Wilson like they’re my kids’ names.

Donald (get well soon, my friend) writes it from the heart, and it’s an important, informative addition to the Reds’ lebry.

Enjoy.

Donald (get well soon, my friend) .
    I can confirm that Donald now presents in rude health and is long since back at work following his trevails.

The radge is maist hooorin' corned beef mind.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I can confirm that Donald now presents in rude health and is long since back at work following his trevails.

The radge is maist hooorin' corned beef mind.
    Good to hear.

I spent 90 minutes in his Nairn County fanatical company at Dudgeon Park in Brora. An affa fine mannie

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    The Psephologist & Junta’s Highland Business Editor telt me a few weeks back that Donald was well on the recovery path. Glad to have it confirmed.

Being of a certain erm...vintage, I can reel off:
    Clark, Whyte, Shewan, Munro, McMillan, Petersen, Storrie, Smith, Johnston, Melrose, Wilson like they’re my kids’ names.

Donald (get well soon, my friend) writes it from the heart, and it’s an important, informative addition to the Reds’ lebry.

Enjoy.
    I did enjoy it, not a bad read at all especially the parts about the big Highland League games from the 60s that Johnston took part in with Nairn, the author did a good job of selling the Highland League, so much so I am going to drag my arse up to Nairn at some point this season to watch them play.

Well worth a read.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast