+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like Ardley

Quote Originally Posted by Scanlon's Hatrick View Post
    Also he must know he probably wasn't first choice.
    Do we know who was first choice? As far as we know Ardley has been in the top three from the start.

Probably AH had to go for the cheap option with paying for 2 others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    My mate over here is a Wimbledon fan and he is quite gutted to see Ardley leave because of his history with the club, he goes over 15/20 times a year for games so he has seen first hand the way they play, from what he has told me Ardley is a good organizer and plays a rigid enough 4-4-2 formation... he has had no money to spend and has had to sell most of his best players over the past 4 seasons but still got them promotion and has kept them in league 1 against the odds.... I for one would be happy with his appointment unless AH could prize Coleman from Stanley which would prob be impossible.
    Quite a fan, to fly 15/20 times a season from Ireland to watch his team. sid lives 70 miles away and can't manage one.

A decent summary of Ardley's application, though. If he can get the players into his attitude and no-frills style of play, we should see a turnaround.

I wonder who at Notts he thinks is worth keeping and who he could import if he had the money. Sometimes a manager will spend money he's not used to having on players who are costly, but not fitted to his old tried and tested, but successful, ways. I'm not knocking Alan Hardy here, but I hope his love of Liverpool F.C. has no influence on who Ardley (if he is The Chosen One) brings to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Do we know who was first choice? As far as we know Ardley has been in the top three from the start.
    My guess is that Hurst was first choice, hence being at the match and AH's comments about us being just about to appoint a great new manager etc, but then he got greedy and, on that basis, Ardley was second choice. On the other hand, he wasn't plan Z. He was linked with us when Kewell got the job and actually had to deny the interest. He might have been one of the two AH had to choose between back then, he said a couple stood out.

It's a pity he didn't join then before the bad run (at Wimbledon), but Ardley is better than many of the horrific names we've been linked with.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 22-11-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Quite a fan, to fly 15/20 times a season from Ireland to watch his team. sid lives 70 miles away and can't manage one.
    A very cheap shot, and I suspect also very uninformed. Since when was the Scarborough area 70 miles from Meadow Lane? Health issues aside, Google maps makes it 117 miles on the fastest route. Also, how do you know sid doesn't manage a single game? I realise he is sometimes his own worst enemy by occasionally pretending to be a Hull fan, but it's really not that difficult to read between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Probably AH had to go for the cheap option with paying for 2 others as well.
    One thing you can't accuse AH of is running the Club on the cheap, quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    My guess is that Hurst was first choice, hence being at the match and AH's comments about us being just about to appoint a great new manager etc, but then he got greedy and, on that basis, Ardley was second choice.
    I think that's a pretty good guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Scanlon's Hatrick View Post
    ...Also he must know he probably wasn't first choice.
    How would he know he "probably" wasn't first choice? He would know he was in the last three and would probably know who the other two finalists were. He also would know many others had entered the ring too, but if he gets the nod then he's the last man standing, he's beaten the two other finalists, and that should be good enough, if it isn't good enough and he feels a bit miffed, he (or anyone else with the same attitude) can go and boil his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A very cheap shot, and I suspect also very uninformed. Since when was the Scarborough area 70 miles from Meadow Lane? Health issues aside, Google maps makes it 117 miles on the fastest route. Also, how do you know sid doesn't manage a single game? I realise he is sometimes his own worst enemy by occasionally pretending to be a Hull fan, but it's really not that difficult to read between the lines.
    Sid has trouble travelling by road so a round trip of 234 miles in one afternoon may be beyond him. I presume Irish's mate flies and Google says flying fron Hull to Nottingham is 70 miles, surely an author of his note can afford a flight.

It was a cheap shot though and not seriously meant.

I wouldn’t think Hurst ‘got greedy’ more like we’re unable to pay him what he required to become our manager, as someone said previously even at lowly Ipswich I suspect he would have been earning a five figure sum each week.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast