+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crawley and beyond

Just one quick correction, thnhouse, it’s not the Chairman bleeding the club but the majority shareholder. Only fair to give the ‘credit’ where it’s due lol.

Can we try to understand the difference between 'accept' and 'except', please?

I think I mentioned above that the players must accept some of the blame. Clearly, the first half went to plan except for what sounded like exceptional goalkeeping and poor finishing/ decision making.
    As for the manager, the quality of football has got better as time has gone on and the finishing isn't up to the same standard. Here is where I must make a complaint- when scoring is the problem, why is the 'best finisher at the club's on loan at Halesowen (who incidentally got thrashed 8-2 at the weekend!)??????

I am afraid the stats suggest the first team has not improved, we are languishing in the lower reaches of an extremely poor standard of football and as I keep on banging on about this club cannot afford the academy, anything that leaves the club £500000 a year in debt cannot be afforded or am I missing something ? If the club was £500000 a year in credit then that would be a different story. I would have thought the success of the first team and the academy go hand in hand if the first team was succesful and playing at a better standard the value of the academy players would go up, however we are a poor side who for the last 4 years have been awful so therefore our academy players are bargain basement buys at best and bearing in mind we have to sell a player for £500000 a year to break even that is never going to happen so therefore the academy model is dead in the water. If the clubs leaders continue with this plan they are going to send this club out of business.DA is not to blame for the poor business decisions made by the board but he is responsible for what goes on on the pitch and that is unacceptable this squad of players should be a safe mid table side and the fact that they are not is down to him. I can’t believe that in November we face a 6 pointer at home to Cambridge that is embarrassing even by our standards, we probably need 3 or 4 players in January but we will be lucky to get 2 and that will replace 2 going out, so not really strengthening the side.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I think I mentioned above that the players must accept some of the blame. Clearly, the first half went to plan except for what sounded like exceptional goalkeeping and poor finishing/ decision making.
    As for the manager, the quality of football has got better as time has gone on and the finishing isn't up to the same standard. Here is where I must make a complaint- when scoring is the problem, why is the 'best finisher at the club's on loan at Halesowen (who incidentally got thrashed 8-2 at the weekend!)??????
    I reckon that the lad on loan is probably there to enhance his development and this is obviously having a beneficial effect on him, as he is now scoring goals at this new level. However, that does not say that he is ready for first team football, Yes, we need someone desperately who can burst the back of the net, but introduce this lad too soon and with the way things are going right now, it could well hinder the progress he has made and demotivate him too. I am sure, despite what people say about the management, they are right not to recall him right now. They will, no doubt utilise Reilly when the time is right for both the player and the club. Having said all of that, watch us hit six tomorrow night. Wishful thinking.

As long as Hassall owns the club I can see the club continuing on its current course. The club has been put up for sale and over valued so that no one will buy it as I suspect he is playing the long game and hoping HS2 will want the land the club stands on. When this project is completed we will see the club sold at a realistic price. That is many years ahead and no investor will put money into the club with Hassall as the owner as they can see were there money will go.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdad View Post
    As long as Hassall owns the club I can see the club continuing on its current course. The club has been put up for sale and over valued so that no one will buy it as I suspect he is playing the long game and hoping HS2 will want the land the club stands on. When this project is completed we will see the club sold at a realistic price. That is many years ahead and no investor will put money into the club with Hassall as the owner as they can see were there money will go.
    In my considered opinion, Howard, HS2 will never get beyond Birmingham, if it even reaches that far. They are well over budget and delaying proceedings by 12 months already. They will never be able to afford such an elaborate white elephant. There lies another discussion point for others to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I am afraid the stats suggest the first team has not improved, we are languishing in the lower reaches of an extremely poor standard of football and as I keep on banging on about this club cannot afford the academy, anything that leaves the club £500000 a year in debt cannot be afforded or am I missing something ? If the club was £500000 a year in credit then that would be a different story. I would have thought the success of the first team and the academy go hand in hand if the first team was succesful and playing at a better standard the value of the academy players would go up, however we are a poor side who for the last 4 years have been awful so therefore our academy players are bargain basement buys at best and bearing in mind we have to sell a player for £500000 a year to break even that is never going to happen so therefore the academy model is dead in the water. If the clubs leaders continue with this plan they are going to send this club out of business.DA is not to blame for the poor business decisions made by the board but he is responsible for what goes on on the pitch and that is unacceptable this squad of players should be a safe mid table side and the fact that they are not is down to him. I can’t believe that in November we face a 6 pointer at home to Cambridge that is embarrassing even by our standards, we probably need 3 or 4 players in January but we will be lucky to get 2 and that will replace 2 going out, so not really strengthening the side.
    A vvery simplistic view of the finances. If you scrap the academy you still need training facilities for the first team. How much would that cost. Factor in the extra revenue provided by the academy in coaching courses for further education for people who want to become coaches etc. Yes there would still be a minus probably but this is more than likely to be overcome by the sale of a player and of course you have youth products who play for far lees initially than seasoned pros

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    A vvery simplistic view of the finances. If you scrap the academy you still need training facilities for the first team. How much would that cost. Factor in the extra revenue provided by the academy in coaching courses for further education for people who want to become coaches etc. Yes there would still be a minus probably but this is more than likely to be overcome by the sale of a player and of course you have youth products who play for far lees initially than seasoned pros
    I know I'm showing my age again but in the old days the players and the reserve team when we had one both trained on the GR pitch and in many ways makes sense that it takes place on the same pitch as they play matches on and not some billiard ball pitch at RH. That was in the days when there were real heavy pitches too. Then all they need is to all go the a local fitness gym in the winter which again saves having to pay for them. I mean we play like amateurs so why not? Some even have 5 aside facilities too. Why pay half a million at RH when there are other ways to get fit.. They are still available at the old place at Shavington too. The Board cannot move on and so should go..Just to add that when we had a reserve team GR was played on each week and even now once a fortnight should be fine to allow the players to train on it nowadays.

It seems perverse that we have better and more expensive facilities and coaching than when we were in the Championship!

I agree with Mick that HS2 won't get beyond Birmingham and may be cancelled all together. One billion pounds has been spent already and not one yard of track laid. Clubs are ditching their academies as the FA dictate the number of coaches and facilities and a are higher than us in L1 and L2 and so we are not moving with the times.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 27-11-2018 at 05:11 PM.

It’s not just about where people train it’s about facilities to attract players both young and old. As for training on the pitch I think we’ve all seen the state it’s got into in recent years , that would be madness.

Hassall won’t mind funding the Youth Team as it potentially is a source of income he can leach off in player sales. If you think that any money we didn’t spend on the Youth team would get reinvested in the first team you’re sorely mistaken.

Mike I’ve been trying out your solutions at work though. My boss is confused that I use my type writer to respond to her emails and annoyed that I insist on posting the replies but luckily I just keep reminding her that it worked in the fifties so it must still apply today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123