+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Homelessness In Morecambe and Blackpool

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    One that doesn't spend money unsustainably! Obviously it's a question of degrees, but whether you're talking about your personal finances or the country's finances, the more you save for a rainy day, the more insulated you are. Put it this way, if you've managed to stockpile lots of gold, don't sell it off when the price is low.
    I was rather hoping for the name of a specific political party, but seeing as I didn't get one I'll match your gold reserves sell-off error with the waste of North Sea oil reserves. The real point however was that unless we go for a Tom and Barbara 'The Good Life' scenario where we become a self-sufficient nation and ignore nasty things like imports and exports, how do we avoid global economic fortunes?

Quote Originally Posted by calmpie View Post
    How about buying a Greggs gift card and loading it up with cash?

Give that to a homeless person and know that they can choose when they need to eat and drink for themselves. That way it stops them wasting actual money on other items that Greggs do not sell that are harmful to them.
    Greggs sell a fair few items that can be harmful to you, just over a longer time period!

When I buy a Big Issue I always check to see it's a registered vendor, which gives me some reassurance, although I confess I don't know how far they go to ensure these are always in the "right" hands or what criteria are applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    That is true 61.

A mate of mine was telling me of a woman who used to beg outside Hucknall Post Office a couple of years back.
    Coins popped in her tin everyday for months, until she was seen being picked up in a BMW behind Wilko's.
    Hasn't been back since. Strange that.
    Homeless people own BMWs cos your mate says so, immigrants are benefit scroungers and/or want to take our jobs cos you saw it on YouTube video, and the EU Overlords want to invade us with their forthcoming army cos you read it in the Sun/Express/Mail.

Internet usage at its very best.

That is true 61.

A mate of mine was telling me of a woman who used to beg outside Hucknall Post Office a couple of years back.
    Coins popped in her tin everyday for months, until she was seen being picked up in a BMW behind Wilko's.
    Hasn't been back since. Strange that.
    Obviously there's no defence to that Tricky, in fact I'm surprised you didn't put your usual faux intellectual "QED" at the end. If a mate of yours told you this a couple of years ago then surely it must prove beyond doubt that most homeless people are fakes.

To give you some credit, at least this time it's based on a fictitious mate rather than a link from The Sun!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Homeless people own BMWs cos your mate says so, immigrants are benefit scroungers and/or want to take our jobs cos you saw it on YouTube video, and the EU Overlords want to invade us with their forthcoming army cos you read it in the Sun/Express/Mail.

Internet usage at its very best.
    typical of you.
    BFP says it's all made up. That's it then. I wish the world would listen to you oh wise one.

typical of you.
    BFP says it's all made up. That's it then. I wish the world would listen to you oh wise one.
    Maybe a bit wiser than someone who starts a post laughing at Hull's 3,000 odd crowd!

You were only 10,000 out, so more accurate than your usual drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I was rather hoping for the name of a specific political party, but seeing as I didn't get one I'll match your gold reserves sell-off error with the waste of North Sea oil reserves. The real point however was that unless we go for a Tom and Barbara 'The Good Life' scenario where we become a self-sufficient nation and ignore nasty things like imports and exports, how do we avoid global economic fortunes?
    Like I said, you can't "avoid" global economic fortunes, but the degree to which you're hostage to them is obviously affected by the robustness of your economy and the amount of spare resource you can call upon to carry you through. In the early years under Blair, the Labour Government didn't really act like a Labour Government, but later on they had a splurge, at precisely the wrong time as it turned out. Ironically, perhaps the early Blair years struck the right balance for managing the economy, a split between the approaches typically favoured by the big two parties!

I'm all for the 'The Good life' scenario meself! Leave the domestic and global rat-race behind!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Obviously there's no defence to that Tricky, in fact I'm surprised you didn't put your usual faux intellectual "QED" at the end. If a mate of yours told you this a couple of years ago then surely it must prove beyond doubt that most homeless people are fakes.

To give you some credit, at least this time it's based on a fictitious mate rather than a link from The Sun!
    Hold on a moment, Elite. I know a guy on a football forum who has a mate who also saw the same thing. So that's pretty much that. Why give your pennies to the homeless if they're just going to drive off in their Lamborghinis?

With a £3m wage bill, we might all have to help Alan Hardy out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Stop having a hissy fit. My remarks are not astonishing at all. I have seen the "career" beggars at work in Chester. I have seen several of them parking around the local council estate and recognised them as regulars in town. I personally know ex-squaddies who cannot adjust and have chosen to move around the country living hand to mouth. Get off your shocked high horse and read what I said. Take in the implication of the word "may" then temper that against "many, many". I am aware that the vast majority of rough sleepers/homeless are there for a reason not of their own making but if you are not aware of the other reasons for using the homeless label you are very naive.
    Hissy fit

If me saying 'astonishing' was a hissy fit, that post above is a proper door banging strop!

I asked you what percentage you thought fitted into the category of homelessness as a nice little earner and a lifestyle choice, I'm genuinely interested.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast