+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Homelessness In Morecambe and Blackpool

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I know we see it every day in Nottingham but I was genuinely shocked at the amount of homeless I saw. I gave a young lad a couple of quid and we spoke briefly. I could not believe how articulate he was. I really hope for that young man.
    It's so difficult to guess whether the "homeless" are the genuinely homeless or just scroungers or something in between. We have only our experience of life to give us a guide. Sometimes, if they do look cold and hungry, I'll give then a pound or two but I'll tell you this - if they have a dog they won't get a penny or a second glance. That old cry for sympathy by having some poor shivering mongrel on a piece of string lost it's appeal years ago when homeless charities found themselves feeding the dog too. After public complaints they cottoned on and banned dogs in their homes.

I have seen people coming out of fast food places and offering burghers and pizza to these "homeless" only for the food to be refused as they would sooner have the cash. As the food is nearly always taken, only a cynic would say the others would prefer to spend that money on drugs - wouldn't they? - as the old advert used to say, "PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY, MY DEALER NEEDS A NEW CAR"

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It's so difficult to guess whether the "homeless" are the genuinely homeless or just scroungers or something in between. We have only our experience of life to give us a guide. Sometimes, if they do look cold and hungry, I'll give then a pound or two but I'll tell you this - if they have a dog they won't get a penny or a second glance. That old cry for sympathy by having some poor shivering mongrel on a piece of string lost it's appeal years ago when homeless charities found themselves feeding the dog too. After public complaints they cottoned on and banned dogs in their homes.

I have seen people coming out of fast food places and offering burghers and pizza to these "homeless" only for the food to be refused as they would sooner have the cash. As the food is nearly always taken, only a cynic would say the others would prefer to spend that money on drugs - wouldn't they? - as the old advert used to say, "PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY, MY DEALER NEEDS A NEW CAR"
    You could argue that there's a lack of support and awareness when it comes to addiction and mental health issues - two of the leading reasons why people end up on the streets. There's sometimes an attitude of 'they got themselves into that mess, so **** 'em', like it's some kind of selfish never-ending party.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Here's an eye opening video about the subject of always being offered food when you're homeless - https://youtu.be/TRRbCzZH_HY?t=329

Interviewer used to be homeless himself and now runs that channel, every now and again one of his interviews goes viral but most of them are very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    You could argue that there's a lack of support and awareness when it comes to addiction and mental health issues - two of the leading reasons why people end up on the streets. There's sometimes an attitude of 'they got themselves into that mess, so **** 'em', like it's some kind of selfish never-ending party.
    The Portuguese and Swiss approaches to substance addiction are interesting, treating it as an illness and putting them through the health system rather than the criminal justice system. It seems to work.

The podcast I recommended talks about the reasons why in the theoretically most advanced societies people tend to develop these problems more often.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Take out those that consider it a nice little earner and those that make a lifestyle choice and the numbers may well reduce. No doubt many many that are in need of help and have been let down by the system though.
    Astonishing. What percentage of the homeless people in England do you think your first sentence applies to? I'd be really interested to know.

So many of them have led chaotic lives since childhood that becoming that person sitting in a doorway who people walk past, step over, pee on and even attack is almost inevitable.

Have a read of this https://www.crisis.org.uk/media/2367...lls_es2012.pdf for the stark reality...

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Here's an eye opening video about the subject of always being offered food when you're homeless - https://youtu.be/TRRbCzZH_HY?t=329

Interviewer used to be homeless himself and now runs that channel, every now and again one of his interviews goes viral but most of them are very interesting.
    I see the lad's point, but who's going to give him a toothbrush or a face flannel? There are homeless charities who'll give him those. He's a lucky chap who can throw food in the bin because of the overgenerosity of the public and I've never seen one homeless person refuse food.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I know we see it every day in Nottingham but I was genuinely shocked at the amount of homeless I saw. I gave a young lad a couple of quid and we spoke briefly. I could not believe how articulate he was. I really hope for that young man.

Well done Navy. Top bloke.

****ing hell there are some heartless *******s in our group of fans especially Laxton. I'll tell you what mate if I was sleeping rough in winter in doorways then you best believe I'm spending some of the money I get on drink or drugs, for one you're not going to want to be present in your reality are you, you live on the streets. Two a drink will keep you warm and three help you to grab a few hours sleep if they can as well. It makes me laugh when people say they only spend it on drink and drugs then get into their range rover to go home and guess what have a drink ha ha, talk about hypocritical. The lack of empathy for people worse off on here sometimes startles me, I really hope one day your life ****s up just so you can stop being so judgemental. ****ing gammons ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    The Portuguese and Swiss approaches to substance addiction are interesting, treating it as an illness and putting them through the health system rather than the criminal justice system. It seems to work.

The podcast I recommended talks about the reasons why in the theoretically most advanced societies people tend to develop these problems more often.
    Definitely. It seems crazy that when confronted with a person clearly having a serious physical, mental and spiritual crisis, most governments are happy to label them as criminals rather than actually provide them with the help and support they need to get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    ****ing hell there are some heartless *******s in our group of fans especially Laxton. I'll tell you what mate if I was sleeping rough in winter in doorways then you best believe I'm spending some of the money I get on drink or drugs, for one you're not going to want to be present in your reality are you, you live on the streets. Two a drink will keep you warm and three help you to grab a few hours sleep if they can as well. It makes me laugh when people say they only spend it on drink and drugs then get into their range rover to go home and guess what have a drink ha ha, talk about hypocritical. The lack of empathy for people worse off on here sometimes startles me, I really hope one day your life ****s up just so you can stop being so judgemental. ****ing gammons ha ha.
    Well **** you too, crazy, I’m not giving to just anyone who’s dossing in a doorway and you can shove your aggressive and superior rant up your hypocritical arse.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast