+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Homelessness In Morecambe and Blackpool

The number of rough sleepers is estimated to have increased by 169% since 2010.

People can speculate on why that might be, but if you vote for a party that espouses austerity, austere policies are generally what you get. These policies generally affect vulnerable people the most.

Likewise if you vote for a party that spends money unsustainably and leaves the country completely exposed to global economic fortunes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Likewise if you vote for a party that spends money unsustainably and leaves the country completely exposed to global economic fortunes.
    Could you please tell me a party I could vote for that wouldn't leave the country completely exposed to global economic fortunes?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Ha ha well you're entitled to your views but I aint no hypocrite, every time I go to town for drinks, a meal, gig etc we always give all our spare money to the homeless. Trouble is there's so many that we run out before we can get through them all. When I got my first full time wage at 18 I gave a tenner to the homeless, I'm really no hypocrite. I was aggressive though so apologies about that seriously but your type of selfish pontification about how homeless people should be living is quite frankly nonsense. This **** them attitude will be the death of this country. Don't you think you should help anyone out you can? I believe it's everyone's responsibility to look after those less fortunate if they have the means. How do you know it won't happen to you, would you like everyone to have your attitude towards you?

Also as KTD stated alot of the people have serious mental illnesses and yeah a lot of them are ex forces or people just like you and me who have had a few bad things happen to them. You shouldn't really judge them until you take the time to understand the issues they have faced but saying "No they all go home to nice houses" or " No they spend it on drink and drugs" lets you off the hook in your mind.

I don't believe I'm superior to you either Laxton, I just would like people to care about others than themselves or immediate family. Each to their own though but like I say I hope it never happens to you as it's no "lifestyle choice"
    My type of selfish pontification?? Type?? Yours is a blatant strawman argument and you have put me up as the uncaring, sod 'em all, couldn't care less "Type". I haven't judged ANYONE, what I have said is I will not give money just for the sake of it, but you, you like to brag about giving "all your spare money" to the homeless - and there lies my point - how do you know they are homeless?

Your second paragraph is laughable and obviously self-congratulatory, you like to tell us all how we should all be angels and count our blessings - like you, of course. I am well aware SOME of these unfortunates have mental problems so don't point your sanctamonious finger at me, I never said or even hinted what you are quoting - "No they all go home to nice houses" or " No they spend it on drink and drugs".

Get down off your pulpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Could you please tell me a party I could vote for that wouldn't leave the country completely exposed to global economic fortunes?
    One that doesn't spend money unsustainably! Obviously it's a question of degrees, but whether you're talking about your personal finances or the country's finances, the more you save for a rainy day, the more insulated you are. Put it this way, if you've managed to stockpile lots of gold, don't sell it off when the price is low.

(I haven't got lots of gold personally, by the way, in case any burglars are reading. )

A non-sequitur. Every country in the developed world was affected by the financial crash of 2008 regardless of the affiliation of their government. This thread is about homelessness. Homelessness has increased by the amount I stated since 2010. You obviously think more people sleeping on the streets is a price worth paying for tighter public finances. (Whether austerity has actually led to tighter public finances is an entirely different debate).

One that doesn't spend money unsustainably! Obviously it's a question of degrees, but whether you're talking about your personal finances or the country's finances, the more you save for a rainy day, the more insulated you are. Put it this way, if you've managed to stockpile lots of gold, don't sell it off when the price is low.

(I haven't got lots of gold personally, by the way, in case any burglars are reading. )
    Ahah yeah good old Gordon Brown. He even tried to take the Times to court to stop them reporting it if memory serves.

Problem is most advanced economies have debt, it then depends on other things, like who holds the debt, or which school of economics you subscribe to, as to whether that's a good thing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    A non-sequitur. Every country in the developed world was affected by the financial crash of 2008 regardless of the affiliation of their government. This thread is about homelessness. Homelessness has increased by the amount I stated since 2010. You obviously think more people sleeping on the streets is a price worth paying for tighter public finances. (Whether austerity has actually led to tighter public finances is an entirely different debate).
    A circular argument actually. If you don't manage public finances correctly, then eventually you run out of money and end up with even more people sleeping on the streets. And as I said to Elite above, whilst no country can entirely avoid the consequences of a global crash, the more resource you've got in hand, the more insulated you are against the worst effects.

To be fair, it might be true to say that neither of the two main governing parties of the last 20 years have got it right, lurching from one extreme to the other.

How about buying a Greggs gift card and loading it up with cash?

Give that to a homeless person and know that they can choose when they need to eat and drink for themselves. That way it stops them wasting actual money on other items that Greggs do not sell that are harmful to them.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    How can you tell the real homeless people from the professional scrounger?
    The authorities now say don't give them money but offer them a hot drink or sandwich.
    A couple of years ago I was in Rome and this old ''disabled'' guy was begging, I was just about to put a couple of Euros in his tin when a police car pulled up and he dropped his plate and ran like the clappers. The coppers caught him chucked him in the back of the car and started knocking 7 bells out of him.
    That is true 61.

A mate of mine was telling me of a woman who used to beg outside Hucknall Post Office a couple of years back.
    Coins popped in her tin everyday for months, until she was seen being picked up in a BMW behind Wilko's.
    Hasn't been back since. Strange that.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast