+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ki

Ki

Ok, ok...so maybe I'm jumping the gun here based on 2 and a half performances...

...but...

does anyone else think he's a better fit for us than Shelvey as an automatic starter? There's no doubt that when Shelvey's on top of his game, there are few better passers of the ball than him in terms of splitting a defence, whether diagonally from wide/deep or straight through the middle from a more central position.

However, quite often his passes don't come off and we lose possession. Also, when he sets Perez, Kenedy or Ritchie off, we don't get players up to support them quickly enough so they're isolated and, more often than not, we lose possession. Consistency, too, is an issue (although in comparing the two, maybe this bit is unfair given that Ki hasn't had enough games to work out whether consistency is a strength or a weakness for him).
    Conversely, Ki plays shorter passes and is more effective in possession and the way he brings the ball forward allows other players to become involved-he doesn't reduce the options by smacking it long. His set pieces are also a lot more effective than Shelvey's who, for someone who can strike a ball so well when passing the ball, is surprisingly shit at shooting and free kicks.

Don't get me wrong, Shelvey is still an important player for us but, if i was choosing a starter out of the two for Saturday-and going forward-I'd choose Ki.

Thoughts?

I agree, Shelvey for me is too inconsistent and some of his passes are wasted on the quality we have up front. He also drifts out of the game sometimes if things aren't going for him.
    I am not a fan of Diame but with his ability to break up play and Ki's passing and short game, i feel this has contributed to our improvement.

Certainly at the minute, based on our current form he is the starter ahead of Shelvey.

I agree he shouldn’t be left out the squad for Shelvey
    And it’s up to Jonjo to force his way back in the team
    We are just not used to having a healthy squad with competition for places

Could we try Shelvey at no 10 perhaps and have ki Diamé and Shelvey on at the same time or maybe
    4/3/3 with Shelvey ki and Diamé in DM?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post

Conversely, Ki plays shorter passes and is more effective in possession and the way he brings the ball forward allows other players to become involved-he doesn't reduce the options by smacking it long. His set pieces are also a lot more effective than Shelvey's who, for someone who can strike a ball so well when passing the ball, is surprisingly shit at shooting and free kicks.
    This is bang on. Everything we did went through Ki on Monday and I would add to that the better speed of Ki´s passing. Ki is capable of a great long ball too as he showed with the pass to Kenedy in Rondon´s second goal against Bournemouth.

We have great competition for places at CB and the Ki/Shelvey duel for a place is now very real. We just need the same down the sides of the pitch and up front now. Shelvey needs to find his form to dislodge Ki.

It's the middle of the pitch between the halfway line to the oppositions penalty box where we don't compete. In Ritchie and Kenedy we have players capable of crossing into that area but we just don't have anyone in the middle as i feel Perez is too lightweight and we have no quality strikers.
    I still believe in the old thinking: create the spine of a team with a top class keeper, centre half and a quality finisher and fill in the rest around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek57 View Post
    It's the middle of the pitch between the halfway line to the oppositions penalty box where we don't compete. In Ritchie and Kenedy we have players capable of crossing into that area but we just don't have anyone in the middle as i feel Perez is too lightweight and we have no quality strikers.
    I still believe in the old thinking: create the spine of a team with a top class keeper, centre half and a quality finisher and fill in the rest around them.
    Yes what we need there is another Rob Lee/Gary Speed type of player.

Those lads were real game changers.

Quote Originally Posted by tooslomofo View Post
    We are just not used to having a healthy squad with competition for places
    This very much so.

It's got to be good for Shelvey though having to up his game to get back in the side rather than knowing he'll come straight back in.

Let's not get carried away here .He is a very ordinary player and that's it ,he's had a couple of good games in an inform team .

Shelvey has been inconsistent but I still think we are better with him than without, he can be a game changer. As has been said, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the number 10 role as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)