+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    I'm more concerned with where Shinnie might end up than the fact he'll be off.
    Suggestions elsewhere is that their both being lined up on pre-contracts with Sunderland.
    Makes sense if Sunderland are promoted and they get more wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    If he doesn’t end up at LB for Aberdeen, I’m not that fussed.

Both are replaceable
    One of the very few times I will agree with you. Where we will miss Shinnie is as a captain. As a midfielder, well I'm not so sure, bit headless at times, runs around a lot and puts in a great shift but in reality how effective is he? The occasional glimpse of brilliance is all Shinnie ever shows in midfield.

As a captain I think he does a great job and I think we'd find it harder to replace "the captain" than "the player" if that makes sense!

It does make sense and I agree with you. I think the other time we would miss him is away from home if we are defending a lead late in the game, he is the ideal combative midfielder you would want (although I think Ferguson can fill that role). Playing at home, he is unfortunately part of the reason we are not as creative as we would want to be, not his fault, just the type of player he is or is not

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Suggestions elsewhere is that their both being lined up on pre-contracts with Sunderland.
    Makes sense if Sunderland are promoted and they get more wages.
    Wonder if there's any chance of a loan-back deal , like we had with Norwich for McLean , being done?

Even if there was , I doubt if we'd get anywhere near the £500K we got for McLean. But any funds we receive in January would be handy for strengthening the squad, and especially addressing the main priority , which , in my view , is the lack of creativity

Quote Originally Posted by 87kilos View Post
    One of the very few times I will agree with you. Where we will miss Shinnie is as a captain. As a midfielder, well I'm not so sure, bit headless at times, runs around a lot and puts in a great shift but in reality how effective is he? The occasional glimpse of brilliance is all Shinnie ever shows in midfield.

As a captain I think he does a great job and I think we'd find it harder to replace "the captain" than "the player" if that makes sense!
    Agree with most of that.
    His attitude is spot on and can't be questioned - if he goes, he goes with my best wishes (unless of course it's to the scum, then he can f**k off).

My take on him in midfield is that his work-rate is excellent and he "rats" about and breaks up the opposition attacks well.
    However, the down side is that his passing isn't great, and conversely folk say he's great at winning the ball back....forgetting that he's given the ball away half the time in the first place.
    Also, he tends to "empty" the midfield too often in his eagerness to get the ball and affect the play, similar to the way Willo Flood used to.
    He sometimes lacks the discipline to hold his position so we have cover for the defence.

That said, I'd rather he re-signed, but I'm pretty certain he'll be off in the summer.

The ability isn't irreplaceable, but the attitude and spirit may be?

My understanding is Shinnie is not on the Sevco radar. I believe the person who told me this plus I believe that they already have better midfield players than Shinnie in their squad. I believe Tavernier is for sale. (Not suggesting we can or should go for him, just passing on what I have been informed.)

Also this person knows of no interest from Sunderland.

I want both Shinnie and GMS to sign new contracts with us as both are very decent players. The worrying bit about it all is that it doesn’t seem like they are up for staying though which is a big kick in the teeth for our esteemed manager.

I would also like both to sign on again but as you say it doesnt look like either will,from shinnie's comments earlier in the week id say he isn't signing a new deal,been quieter from GMS but maclennan has stepped up and shown he is a capable replacement,as for shinnie for me he just doesnt cut it in midfield,plenty enthusiasm and effort but he's been poor last few games,will we miss shinnie? I dont know,its a similar situation to the rat jack,we dont think we will miss him until he leaves and then we realise what a decent job he did for us

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I want both Shinnie and GMS to sign new contracts with us as both are very decent players. The worrying bit about it all is that it doesn’t seem like they are up for staying though which is a big kick in the teeth for our esteemed manager.
    Can't really blame them looking elsewhere at this stage of their careers where the next contract they get will be the biggest of their careers and any subsequent one will likely see their earning power declining. Even if we made them our 2 highest paid players on £6-7k/week a bog standard English Championship could easily pay them £10k/week.......over a 3 year contract that's heading for a £500k total difference.

We've been told that Derby will be recalling Max Lowe in January.

Will DM source a new left back ,or will we be subjected to feckin Considine plodding up and down the left wing for 5 months?

If/when Reynolds & Hoban get fit, they can be cover at centre half, so maybe DM will think we're ok defensively?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast