+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Vote?

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post

I can't help thinking if we had Thatcher in power how different it would have been. ( before you jump on that wasn't really a fan ,just know she wouldn't have allowed them free reign ).

I'm disappointed in you Army, of course you're right, Mrs T would have had this sorted, done and dusted, and us out of the EU with a trade deal and a withdrawal agreement on March 29th and no mistake. And you don't have to apologise for pointing that out. Don't worry about the lefties on here or anywhere, they love to rewrite history, the saintly Margaret was the best PM we've ever had, she must be turning in her grave looking at the second raters running the country now.

From the Guido Fawkes website today.

"New DeltaPoll research has found that if a second referendum were held, the public would back ‘No Deal’ over ‘Remain’ by 52-48%. And that’s achieved in the absence of a leave campaign, with the public being subjected to a constant torrent of un-combatted Remain campaigning over the last two years. The poll even shows that the public prefer May’s deal to Remain. Be careful what you wish for Remainers…"

Morning Sinkov.

If, in 2016, the choice had been Theresa's deal or Remain, how would you have voted? Because that is what a Peoples Vote is all about.

And I agree with you that our negotiators would have to confirm that, in a second referendum, voting Remain would mean the status quo.

And, as I said above, I agree that a second vote would result in leaving without a deal - and this is the only way this result could happen. Parliament would NEVER agree to that.

La belle Paris.....Live !

Still needs ratifying, but the UK can decide to revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU, as currently, until 29th March 2019.

This will be rubber stamped soon by the ECJ.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-46428579

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Still needs ratifying, but the UK can decide to revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU, as currently, until 29th March 2019.

I would love there to be a second vote, a change of heart and then the EU to say well, you can't make up your mind so, it will cost you £n billion to revoke Article 50 and we will also draw up a further list of conditions to revoke Article 50 because we just can't trust anything that the British people decide because their politicians will always be at odds with any decision and don't carry out the will of the people, therefore we don't trust them.

If we are a laughing stock now, heaven knows what we would become after another vote! The whole thing has been a complete shambles from beginning to end and I don't see it getting any better in the near future.

I may be a left winger (and a tricky one too!) but I am not a daft one either. Our Old Iron Lady would have had Garnier and his cronies with their knackers hanging in their marble bags.

Which bit of democracy and a vote to LEAVE do people not understand?

Bit of revisionism here.

Thatcher was a firm Pro-European.

She was very instrumental in setting up the Single Market and the Euro.

Read her speech here...

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107219

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

I can't be bothered to search for it 59, but didn't I say a few months back that a way for us to remain in the EU was being worked on as I wrote. There wasn't a way for it to happen then, but I said you could rely on the EU to find a way, and lo and behold, so they have. An arbitrary decision by a Spanish judge and bob's your uncle, that's all it took. You traitors have still got to get the Withdrawal Act repealed, a Remainer Government in power or win a referendum before you're really in business and time is short, but it's on, it's more likely now than it was two days ago.

I post below, what Justin Welby, a staunch Remainer, has to say on the subject of a second referendum. I'm not a big fan of Welby, or the Anglican clergy in general, but for once he's talking sense.

"A second referendum on Theresa May's final Brexit deal would be "unwise" and "not democratic", the Archbishop of Canterbury has warned. The Most Rev Justin Welby said the referendum result has exposed deep divisions in society and called for "a level of national reconciliation". But speaking during a debate on an amendment to the Government's Article 50 Bill, he said a second referendum would only "deepen the bitterness" dividing the country.

The head of the Church of England, who voted to remain in the EU, told peers in the House of Lords: "The referendum campaign and its aftermath revealed deep divisions in our societies. So how we conduct this process is as important as the outcome itself. I believe it would be both dangerous and unwise and wrong to reduce the substance of the terms on which we exit the European Union to the result of a binary yes-no choice taken last summer."
    "And the Government should avoid any inclination to oversimplify the outcome of the most complex peacetime negotiations, probably ever.
    "But neither is the complexity of a further referendum a good way of dealing with the process at the end of negotiation.
    "It will add to our divisions, it will deepen the bitterness. It is not democratic. It is unwise.
    "Even if circumstances change ... even if they change drastically, a dangerous and overcomplicated process is the result of a referendum."

Mr Welby added: "Division of our country is not a mere fact to be navigated around like a rock in a stream, but something to be healed, to be challenged and to be changed."
    "On this amendment, I fear I believe we risk making the process too complex and the substance too simple."
    Peers in the House of Lords voted 336 to 131 against the Liberal Democrat amendment calling for a second referendum.
    Mr Welby also cautioned the Government against any temptation to "oversimplify" the Brexit process.
    He told peers it would be "dangerous and unwise and wrong" to reduce the terms of divorce from Brussels "to the result of a binary yes-no choice taken last summer".
    Last year he said he would vote to stay in the EU to avert economic damage that could harm the poorest."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)