+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Vote?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Super, I worded that very badly - I realise that you and selfishness are strangers.

But, like I say, it is not people like you and I that will be affected - it is the younger end - and they voted strongly to remain. I am very mindful that they will not be allowed the same advantages as us.

I have yet to see one positive advantage of leaving the EU - apart from ending freedom of movement, which I wholly support and this country has benefited from.
    The problem remains ---nobody can say EXACTLY what is going to happen ---it is all still all conjecture which, if I was the worrying kind, I would find worrying!

''If only she'd just keep on running Alto, don't turn round, don't stop, just keep on running ''

I think Forest Gump did that but blast if i can remember the ending? Isn't he the one that said ''the EU is like a box of chocolates you never know what your getting??''

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Matelot View Post
    The problem is that the whole thing has become a political football. As soon as we the public voted leave the politics should have been taken out of it with all parties working together to come up with an exit strategy and plans for world wide trade deals. I heard someone on TV a few days ago saying "Of course labour reject it... it is their job to challenge and go against the sitting government".
    I am sure that the refurrendum was based on peoples own Brexit views irrespective of what political party they belong to.
    You're right Matelot, Labour has the right, the duty even, to oppose government, but Brexit is not the policy of the government. Parliament asked the people to make a decision in a referendum, and promised they would enact that decision. The Tories campaigned for Remain but the vote was lost, they are doing what they are now obliged to do by taking us out of the EU. If Labour try to prevent that they are taking on the people of this country, not the Tory government.

"But do you have children or grand children? We have had the opportunity to go back packing in Europe as easily as back packing in England. We have had the opportunity to study, work or live in Europe just as easily as in England.
    When we leave the EU these opportunities will be severely curtailed. Our younger people realised all the benefits and voted strongly to remain."

You really should try not to fret so much 59, your fears really are misplaced. This idea that we won't be able to travel throughout Europe after we leave the EU is nonsense. In the 60s, long before free movement of people, I worked for British Rail, one of the perks was one free European Rail Pass every year. I travelled the length and breadth of Europe every summer for nowt. There were borders, customs officers, passport checks, but it was all part of the experience, I was never once delayed or obstructed in my travels, it really wasn't a problem. After we leave we will still be able to travel throughout Europe, get yourself over to Paris, as I do at least once a year, one thing you immediately notice is that Paris, like every other European City, is thronged with tourists, Americans, Japanese, Aussies, Chinese, Russian, Brazilians, etc, none of these people are EU citizens, but the EU is awash with them. If they can travel throughout Europe without let or hindrance, why on earth do you think we won't be able to ?

I have to correct you on your assertion that the young voted strongly to Remain. They didn't, according to Ipsos Mori figures, 75% of 18-24yos voted Remain, the turnout figure for this age group is disputed, it seems to vary between 35% and 53%, so I'll use the most generous figure of 53%, which means that, even using the most generous figure, just 40% of 18-24yos voted to Remain, the overwhelming majority, 60% of them, either voted to Leave or couldn't be arsed to get off their backsides and go to vote.

Yes, we will be able to go on short term holidays to Europe, but with a lot more buggering about.

Those wishing to work, study or live in Europe will find things will change radically.

And, using your figures and methodology, only around 13% of 18-24 year olds actually voted to leave!

Nearly 14 million people never even bothered to vote,if they had got off their @rses and voted no doubt we would still be in The EC ..These people obviously Thought it was a forgone conclusion that we would remain.. HOW WRONG THEY WERE.. Lol

So it's them that's to blame for all your doom and gloom 59/60.. Not the people who voted to leave..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Nearly 14 million people never even bothered to vote,if they had got off their @rses and voted no doubt we would still be in The EC ..These people obviously Thought it was a forgone conclusion that we would remain.. HOW WRONG THEY WERE.. Lol

So it's them that's to blame for all your doom and gloom 59/60.. Not the people who voted to leave..
    Aye, alf, however, they will join the multitude of politicians claming that it had nothing to do with them because they didn't vote!

Next thing which we can bring in when we are ruling ourselves and have our own sovereignty is that it will be compulsory for everyone of voting age to cast their vote whenever it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Yes, we will be able to go on short term holidays to Europe, but with a lot more buggering about.

Those wishing to work, study or live in Europe will find things will change radically.

And, using your figures and methodology, only around 13% of 18-24 year olds actually voted to leave!
    All that buggering about doesn't seem to stop millions of Brits from holidaying in the USA every year, nor does it seem to stop thousands of our young people backpacking all over the world, nor does it stop millions from non EU countries traipsing all over Europe all year round. Last year I was renting a house in Florida, it was owned by a German couple, the wife ran the rental business, her husband ran a maintenance service. EU nationals living and working outside the EU, just like people from outside the EU live and work in Europe. Don't worry 59, they'll still want our tourist's money in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal etc, their economies depend on it, France will still need to export their wine and cheese to us, Germany will still want to export their cars to us. After the short term disruption and the politicians have done their worst, the ordinary people of Europe will put it all back together again, and things will carry on much as before. In five years time everyone will wonder what on earth the fuss was about, and we'll still all be going on our jollies, just like we do now.

They're not my figures 59, I got them from Ipsos Mori, if you have a problem with them, nothing I can do about it. They do show though that the young, despite what you Remainians might want to believe, weren't that fussed about it at all, they either stayed in bed or went to the pub in very large numbers. Not that many seemed to have an opinion, one way or t'other.

We shall see soon enough.

Tell you what though, when it's all sorted out one way or another I will miss my daily fix of the latest news on Brexit.
    I never understood the attraction of Eastenders, Hollyoaks etc. but this exercise is exactly like a soap opera - and I am hooked.
    (BREAKING*** The Economist has just come out in support for a Peoples Vote)

Brexit has everything. Intrigue, betrayal, pantomime villains,situations that are constantly changing, power struggles, sub plots, races against time, warring factions...and we still don't know how it will end.
    This would make a brilliant series of books , but the author would be told, "this could never happen in real life"
    I expect the last three years of Brexit will be the subject of a blockbuster film.

I will miss it dearly once it is all over.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post

Very Democratic for our leaders to give its citizens the vote, Shame the leaders (Cameron in particular) guessed the public wrong (As usual) and we voted to leave, It is not the publics fault that the Politicians are not capable of serving the publics wishes because of serving their own wants and are fighting tooth and nail to remain in the EU for their own benefit.

Another Vote is NOT Democratic

Half in half out is NOT What the voters voted for.

Leave, when I was at School meant depart, part, exit, disappear, uncouple, etc, etc, regardless of anything else, and leave is the only Democratic thing to do.

The only problem(s), are the in house arguing of lying, ignorant, self serving MP's who should be shot, burned and urinated on as most are common criminals hiding behind a title which they have devalued forevermore.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)