+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Vote?

Second Vote?

How many would support a second vote if Theresa's plan gets rejected in Parliament?

If there were three choices on the ballot how would you vote?

1/. Accept May's plan.
    2/. No deal.
    3/. Remain

remain for me.

Actually, the hard Leavers are beginning to warm to a second vote. They see it as the only way that Britain will leave without a deal...and there is some merit in their thinking.

If there were another campaign then Boris and Farage would front up the No Deal campaign, and they swayed the original vote by their charisma which tempted millions who do not normally vote to support Brexit.
    I reckon the same would happen again.

Last time Boris and Farage engaged with the public much more than Cameron, Clegg and Blair. And I fear the same would happen again.

Who would front the three options next time?

May's Deal - May, Hammond, Rudd.

No Deal - Farage, Boris, Rees-Mogg, Davis

Remain - Cable, Soubry, Blair

I fear that the No Dealers would win the day simply because of the force of their personalities.

I still reckon the Peoples Vote is the only way forward though.

I am against a second ballot. As for putting three questions on the ballot paper that would merely split the leave vote. Let me make this clear I am not anti-immigration (it does need to be controlled) and certainly not anti-European. I do not share Macron’s vision of a European state with a European budget and a European army. I want out and it may very well be that we will lose financially in the short term. But self governance priceless.

59/60 you are obsessed with having a second vote ,you need to get out on the Munros and clear that head of yours...It ain't ever going to happen unless she is overthrown.Hmmm it might happen .lol

I'm up for a second vote, if I can be guaranteed a third if I don't like the result. Best of three seems fair to me. How about that 59 ?

....it's a no deal on the deal so far - which doesn't mean an end to the deal - because we'd be prepared to work on another deal - and if it was that E.U weren't willing to compromise - then what more proof would anyone need, of them being absolute tyrants - leading a dictatorial ultranationalist autocratic superstate - so should do all we can to stop it's despotic advance....so actually - to hell with them anyway !

Evening All!

Outwood, if the vote was done using the Alternative Vote system (AV) then this would sort this issue out.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12892836

Alf, Wainwrights are enough for me...although we are planning to go to Everest Base Camp and have a do at Ben Nevis next year.
    This is the most important decision that this country has made for yonks, and it looks like Parliament are unable to sort it out. If Parliament can't do it then how can we move forward? Giving it back to the people is the only option that will work...unless you can suggest another way?

Sinkov, pointless going over old ground, but this would be the first referendum in which we can actually see what the implications are.
    When you voted out, was Theresa's deal what you had in mind? You will be in a small minority if so. Did you vote for leaving without a deal? From what you have said in the past I think not.
    Neither of these two options will find a majority in Parliament either.
    And both our Government and the EU insist that there will not be another deal in the future.
    So HOW can Parliament sort it out? They can't.
    An "informed" referendum is, in my opinion, the only way.

And I strongly predict that if we have another vote then Farage, Boris etc will win the day, as before.

But this time it would mean leaving without a deal.

VERY bad - but that's democracy.

No need for a second vote, most voted to leave and so it should stay.

It is not our fault that our negotiating team have not got their heart in leaving (as they are remainers) and bowing to every EU wim, and its not our fault that the EU still want everything their way.

The EU have said that if we throw out Mays deal in Parliament there will be NO other negotiating on other deals, IMO that tells me to leave without a deal and just walk away, for me its the only way forward for our Country, show some bollox towards the EU and stop us looking stupid to every Country in the world laughing at our pondering, dithering and arse licking to this corrupt organisation, it will be difficult for a few years until we get back on track, Carney the Governor of the Bank of England (and many others) was wrong when the vote to leave was cast and he said the £ would drop, house prices would drop and employment would rise, he's probably wrong again with his scare tactics which again IMO is out of order as a Bank Governor should not make his views public on this Brexit topic, there are too many fingers in the Pie on this issue, its supposed to be for the benefit of the British people they keep telling us, but is really for the establishment and all their money making schemes which P!sses me right off.

I did mention more than a few years ago that Britain was just as corrupt as most other Countries, this Brexit farce certainly makes me 100% correct which I'm not proud of, but very sad, frustrated and makes me very angry

Whatever happens I think that the reputation of the whole UK has suffered from all the bickering going on amongst those running the country and those in opposition who just seem hell bent on looking after their own interests ----quelle surprise!

This has been a big spur to those negotiating on behalf of the EU because they can see that there is not a united front so they will just stick to their guns and represent the 27 countries who are staying. I expected no favours and it certainly looks as though that is the case and I don't see how anyone can complain about whatever happens because the democratic vote was to leave, even though there was never anything written in stone as to what the plan was --it has remained the same and is a total shambles which would only be made worse by another vote!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    How many would support a second vote if Theresa's plan gets rejected in Parliament?

If there were three choices on the ballot how would you vote?

1/. Accept May's plan.
    2/. No deal.
    3/. Remain

remain for me.

Actually, the hard Leavers are beginning to warm to a second vote. They see it as the only way that Britain will leave without a deal...and there is some merit in their thinking.

If there were another campaign then Boris and Farage would front up the No Deal campaign, and they swayed the original vote by their charisma which tempted millions who do not normally vote to support Brexit.
    I reckon the same would happen again.

Last time Boris and Farage engaged with the public much more than Cameron, Clegg and Blair. And I fear the same would happen again.

Who would front the three options next time?

May's Deal - May, Hammond, Rudd.

No Deal - Farage, Boris, Rees-Mogg, Davis

Remain - Cable, Soubry, Blair

I fear that the No Dealers would win the day simply because of the force of their personalities.

I still reckon the Peoples Vote is the only way forward though.
    No deal for me based on the fact we've already had one , and the people that are entrusted to run our country are in -competent remoaners.
    The woman in charge should never have been allowed to pretend she cared and negotiate with the most corrupt organisation for many a year.

It's amazing what hand outs of money to sub standard countries does isn't it , I mean if we were Greece or Spain youd never have voted to leave , ( I mean in life who borrows money to pay off some
    One else's debt , when your borrowing yourself to do it. ( it's time we looked after ourselves for once - I was always told get your own house in order before you start with other people's )

I wander where the contributions will come from to offset the UK money that isn't going to be there , does anyone think that the dreamt up tariffs and levys our prime minister, Merkel and the rest of the line my own nest brigade will just about cover it.

It's corrupt , they are corrupt , and never was our best interest at heart .

I can't help thinking if we had Thatcher in power how different it would have been. ( before you jump on that wasn't really a fan ,just know she wouldn't have allowed them free reign ).

"Sinkov, pointless going over old ground, but this would be the first referendum in which we can actually see what the implications are.
    When you voted out, was Theresa's deal what you had in mind? You will be in a small minority if so. Did you vote for leaving without a deal? From what you have said in the past I think not."

You know the old Remainer question at the referendum 59, 'What will Brexit Look like ?', and of course it was pointed out that no one could say, no one really knew, so a vote to leave was a leap in the dark. Now you say we will be able to see the implications of the next referendum, but that is incorrect, we won't. On what terms will the EU have us back ? Will we keep all our opt outs ? Will we keep all or any of our rebates ? Will we have to submit our budget plans to the EU for approval as the EU is proposing ? Will there be a European Army that we will be expected to contribute to ? Where would this leave NATO ? Will we be forced to join the Euro if we go back, or will we be left in a second tier, slow track Europe if we don't ? Give me ten minutes more and I'll come up with another half dozen questions, the answers to which won't be clear either. And if we can't answer the above questions, then asking the EU if we can remain is every much a leap in the dark as leaving will be, in fact possibly more so. So if you're expecting a second referendum to provide some clarity then you're going to be sorely disappointed, it won't, it can't.

No, you're right, Theresa's deal was not remotely what I had in mind when I voted to leave. As for voting to leave without a deal, deal or no deal was never an option was it, it was Leave or Remain. There still seems to be some (probably deliberate) confusion over the term 'no deal'. We could leave without a withdrawal agreement and trade on WTO rules, which I would prefer to all other options now, but we can't leave with a trade deal because, although we wanted to negotiate one alongside the Withdrawal Agreement, and this is what I wanted and expected to happen, the EU refused point blank to talk about a trade deal until after we'd left. So no deal, in the real sense of the term, was forced upon us by EU intransigence, there was never a deal on the table to negotiate, all this last two years has been about the Withdrawal Agreement.

Just on the general question of a second referendum, I think it's one of the most, if not the most idiotic, dangerous proposal I've heard in a long lifetime of following politics. This is a democracy and yet you intend to tell 17.4 million people that their opinion is irrelevant, their votes are as nothing, to be ignored on the whim of the political class backed by the establishment. You're telling them they are too ill-educated, too thick actually, to be trusted with any decision on the future of their country, they didn't really understand what they were voting for, they got it all wrong, and those who know better will correct their mistake and decide their future for them.

Well best of luck with that 59, you're going to open a Pandora's Box, and god knows what will come out. It might well be something very unpleasant indeed.
    Last edited by sinkov; 30-11-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)