+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reflections on Yesterday

JM in post # 1 was wanting Frans on for Edje at half time.

No, & that's why it didn't happen. It was 0-2 at half time & we were to be attacking our favourite end.
    The back four had been led a merry dance in the first half, not Edje alone. Watson, Bouhenna & Booth were equally responsible.
    To hook Edje at half time would have been much too dramatic & not on. I did call Curran for King during the interval, it was logical.

Further observations - Ayr Utd are the best team we've seen in our league this season, McCall has built a hard-working team of journeymen with lots of pace & enthusiasm around a free-scoring centre. And they were missing two of their best players on the night, Forrest & Adams. Plus previously ever-present Mark Kerr(!).

Now next week at Morton becomes the most important game of the season because how we react to Friday's embarrassment will really test our mettle & have a big bearing on the remainder of the season.

I said at half time it makes no sense to hook edge as we have used one sub already. I actually thought Ayr would run out of puff. Best team ive seen in this league - if i were an Ayr fan id be delighted at their ability to attach so quickly.

Shankland was blatantly playing off Edge every single time. He was never near Bouhenna. I felt Fyvie was playing so deep that he was almost on the goal line, probably in an effort to stop the centre of defence being overly exposed. Consequently he could bring nothing to bear in the middle of the park where we subsequently lost out big style. My feeling at half time was that if nothing was done to sort out the back four then we were inevitably going to concede more. And that is exactly what happened. I appreciate it was awkward as the enforced keeper sub left RN's hands tied somewhat but I still feel that that was the half time subby needing made. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter now. It's gone.

We need to get ourselves sorted pronto now as a win next week is critical. With the remaining fixtures this month where the top four are all playing each other at times, should we go the rest of the month unbeaten then we will likely end the month not a million miles from the top as the now, crucial, January transfer window opens up. Keep the faith guys, in Robbie we trust.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 02-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.

James - that is spot on he knew he could turn or run at him and he always to a step forward or back on crosses. Cant blame Fyvie he had been out for 3 weeks.

This may be a year and a half project but i still wont rule us out. Long way to go.

Pos. Team. Pl GD. Pts
    1 Ross County 4 2 9
    2 Arbroath 4 3 8
    3 Alloa 4 3 8
    4 Dundee Utd 4 3 5
    5 Elgin 4 -11 0

the rot is deep. Robbie is the man.

Did you not feel James that at 0-2 with us playing down the hill in the second half we had a good chance?
    I did and no way did I expect 0-5.
    So with the expectation of a good old-fashioned comeback, taking off a centre half for another centre half at half time would have had us scratching our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    Did you not feel James that at 0-2 with us playing down the hill in the second half we had a good chance?
    That's the crux of the matter - with no changes at the back I felt we were always likely to concede more, which we did. While that's likely then no matter how many forwards are on then you're going to be constantly chasing the game. We needed to stabilise the ship first and foremost then gradually try to then get a grip in the middle and try to then exert pressure the longer the game proceeded. But as I said, it's all irrelevant now.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    So with the expectation of a good old-fashioned comeback, taking off a centre half for another centre half at half time would have had us scratching our heads.
    me too - how wrong we were but move on..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    That's the crux of the matter - with no changes at the back I felt we were always likely to concede more, which we did. While that's likely then no matter how many forwards are on then you're going to be constantly chasing the game. We needed to stabilise the ship first and foremost then gradually try to then get a grip in the middle and try to then exert pressure the longer the game proceeded. But as I said, it's all irrelevant now.
    we couldnt change due to the siegrist injury - maybe we should have but as i am an expert on all things i said at half time keep it the same with King off.

lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)