+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reflections on Yesterday

Reflections on Yesterday

Last time I posted this topic was following Ross County away. The summation of last night is basically a role reversal in short.

At Ross County, the team gave 110% to ensure a result. Last night it was nearer 10. If that.

At Ross County, the tactical set up was bang on. Last night it was hopeless and we were woefully exposed.

At Ross County, the support was immense. Last night it was sucked out of us after two minutes.

At Ross County, the players actually looked like it meant something to get a result. Last night it looked like they couldn't give a schit.

The last statement is probably a bit unfair, because frankly United were out played last night. However, Jobby looked like he'd done his homework and they attacked us at our most obvious weak point which was Edge. Sorry to say that as he has been good the last few weeks, but his old frailties were horrendously exposed last night by Shankland. Short of pace, weak in the challenge, poor reading of play, caught short playing guys onside etc etc etc. The third typified it - ball in the air to Shankland, who, despite being much smaller and 'weaker' (?), held off Edge, brought it down and turned to feed in the guy who then scored. That was just totally unacceptable albeit fair play to Shankland.

To me, the subby at half time should have been Frans for Edge. It seemed completely pointless bringing on another striker while still being just as likely, if not more so, to concede another goal as score one. We needed to solidify at the back and gradually try to work our way back into it. Robbie instead tried to 'go for it'. I doubt very much he'll try that again in a hurry.

Anyways, we move on to next week and go again.

P2BAA.

Looking back, we’d have taken one defeat in six and looked on it as a good run. It was a really bad day at the office yesterday. I still believe we have the makings of a good team. One thing though is RN talks about intensity, is it fair to expect the players to perform to a high level of intensity week in and out? Did the Goofy way the fixtures worked out take the edge of the intensity with the extended break and knock the team out of its stride?

Quote Originally Posted by USArab View Post
    Looking back, we’d have taken one defeat in six and looked on it as a good run. It was a really bad day at the office yesterday. I still believe we have the makings of a good team. One thing though is RN talks about intensity, is it fair to expect the players to perform to a high level of intensity week in and out? Did the Goofy way the fixtures worked out take the edge of the intensity with the extended break and knock the team out of its stride?
    I think there is a small part to that at least to begin with and Ayr just didnt stop attacking - we never found any rhythm. But still thats papering over the cracks

Thks group of players are capable of better against Ayr.

Biggest concern for me is that it took just 7 games to screw Robbie over. I guess old habits die hard for this bunch.

We need to not wollow in this, put it behind us fast with a win at Morton

Our away form is excellent just now, we are more than capable of bouncing back next weekend

agree one thing is we have had some whippings this year. Move on.

last night was shocking but to single out players is harsh the team was so poor, no one got pass marks. no one stepped up when we needed.
    the subby that should have been for me wasnt at the back but in midfield i reckon king was really poor and deserved to be hooked but i reckon we needed to get control in middle so i would have brought on Rabitsch or murdoch to have 3 in the middle. they were winning every 2nd ball and seemed to have lots of runners so if we managed to stop that by having an extra man in there we might have been able to stop them from being soo dangerous going forward while also maybe getting stanton and fyvie into the game more.
    only imo of course i dont particularly rate either of rabitsch or murdoch but i reckon they two would have both got stuck in and battled away which we didnt really do.
    put myself through the torture again by watching it on alba
    rakovan isnt a good keeper (should/could have saved at least 2 goals defo the pen)
    Watson got exposed for not being a natural RB
    Bouhenna was abit too casual and struggled v shankland
    Edge struggled with pace of shankland but even the basics which he normally does well was poor.
    Booth wasnt very good defending or attacking
    Fyvie way off the pace
    Stanton couldnt get into game and got outfought
    king less said the better
    mcmullan nothing coming off for him
    aird poorest game ive seen
    safranco works hard but needs to be better holding the play

Curran didnt really do much

overall poor night but im hoping its a blessing in disguise. itll settle everyone down who were getting big expectations. itll show we need to be improving if we want to win this league. theres still a long way to go in the season so what we need to make sure is we respond to this result and prove it was "a bad day at the office"

Edge was a stand out though he has little pace 1st goal didnt it take a deflection? More or lbs fault i think as it looped unnaturally over edge

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    We need to not wollow in this, put it behind us fast with a win at Morton

Our away form is excellent just now, we are more than capable of bouncing back next weekend
    I agree we move on. We know we are capable of better.

I still think Neilson is a fantastic manager.

What it shows is we need to do some good deals in January to give ourselves the best chance of title

Ran us ragged. From the kick off. Pass move
    Pass move. I'm no tactician on futba. But we were ripped to pieces. But we are not out of it yet UP THE TERRORS. ❤️

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)