Leeds were victorious in the Yorkshire derby at Bramall Lane for the first time since 1992 when they won the top-flight championship. It was a big win for the visitors who solidified their position in the top two and in doing so dealt a blow to fellow promotion rivals United who lost for the first time at home since opening day. In truth it was a game where neither side really deserved to win the game and a point would have been fair. The Blades maybe had more chances but Henderson made more saves than Peacock Farrell. Both Sharp and Roofe missed good headed chances whilst the two keepers made saves from Halme and then McGoldrick respectively. Ultimately it was a howler from the Blades custodian that settled the game as he gave Leeds their winner on a plate to Hernandez.

Manager Wilder made three changes with Baldock, Sharp and Duffy in for Freeman, Lundstram and Washington. Clarke and Freeman were not in the matchday squad presumably due to injuries. Leeds started with young keeper Peacock Farrell in goal after his penalty save in the week and began with Kemar Roofe as a lone striker supported by Hernandez and Alioski.

United started on the front foot with Basham making several marauding runs as the Blades found gaps through the middle. Norwood was involved at the base of the midfield prompting and Stevens and Baldock were well advanced. Leeds broke out and had an opening but Basham stepped in to make a key block. Cooper had to hobble off after he fell awkwardly and was replaced by number 52 Halme!

McGoldrick had the first effort when he ran forward and hit a raking low shot that Peacock Farrell tipped round the post.

Stevens was booked for a soft foul and this was a theme that would continue most of the game. Henderson made a tremendous point blank save from the sub Halme who dropped on the second ball to fire goalward. Egan was then carded after Roofe rolled him to get behind the centre back. The free kick was blocked and then at the other end Peacock Farrell who had looked less than happy with the crossed ball; dropped a Duffy centre but as McGoldrick wildly blazed over; the referee had adjudged it to be a foul. Roofe was then booked for a high challenge on Egan.

The best chance of the half came when McGoldrick sent over a delightful cross but Sharp nodded down and over when he should have scored. It was a really bad miss and out of character for the striker who has not scored since his hat trick in October against Wigan.

The second half saw Leeds make a change with Alioski hooked for the youngster Clarke. The youngster was brought down by Baldock who was booked and then the same man forced Henderson into a low save. Klitsch then danced his way through and Henderson had to save again as Leeds looked the more threatening now.

Washington replaced the disappointing Duffy and McGoldrick dropped into the advanced midfield role.
United came again and after indecisive defending, McGoldrick was able to get on the loose ball and with Peacock Farrell out of position, the striker drew a man and seemed set to score but he rather telegraphed his shot and the keeper kept it out with his feet.

The game was finely poised and it seemed one goal would settle it. Leeds were finding more gaps but at the back they did not look convincing and the home side were still throwing men forward. Norwood was booked for a blocking foul before some odd decisions both ways infuriated all sides of the ground.

Stevens fired over with a rasping drive but Leeds were inches away from leading when Roofe headed just wide after a cross came over from the right. It seemed a moment of quality or a mistake would settle it and it was the latter.

Egan knocked a ball back but it was overhit and sent Henderson scampering across. The keeper inexplicably kicked it weakly straight to Clarke who showed great awareness to roll it back across goal and HERNANDEZ tapped home. It was a dreadful goal to concede and with less than 10 minutes to play; United now had all on even getting a point from the game.

Halme was booked for knocking Sharp over with the United skipper finally getting a decision after a frustrating afternoon. United huffed and puffed and won a few corners but they came to nothing. Washington chased down a loose ball and O’Connell centered but it was cleared by Jansson. Johson came on for Stevens as the game then went into 4 minutes of additional time. United won another corner and as the ball dropped, Washington hooked an overhead kicked effort and it beat the keeper but bounced off the bar and away. It was not long after when Johnson overhit his cross, that the final whistle went seeing a rare Leeds win at the Lane and putting them temporarily top of the league until Norwich usurped them later in the day.

United – Frustrating as hell. We should never have lost but we say this so much. We should never had drawn is often said. Never do I say we were lucky to win that. Only twice have we got draws v Birmingham and Rotherham where we did not deserve it. Every other win we have had to play well and deserve it. We simply do not get wins unless we play really well.

It is a real case of déjà vu as United created a fair few good chances, had a lot of the ball and controlled large swathes of the game but once again a game where we maybe deserved to draw or even edge a win; we lost. It happened countless times last season and is happening again this season. Sadly, it is not a coincident this keeps happening. We do not do enough in both boxes when it matters and so many times in the last 12 months at home have teams stole something at the Lane at the death. We make mistakes or do not finish. No one was particularly awful but no one offensively was stand out.

Today we did alright. At times we played some good stuff and at a good tempo. We got men forward and pinned Leeds back. We had large spells where we are on top and if Sharp scores that chance or McGoldrick scores his chance it is different but even taking those away I felt we did not do enough in the final third and lacked belief. Poor crosses, poor final ball and no one committing defenders. For a home side I did expect a bit more second half. We were the only side at home today not to score in the Championship and we need to really do more to pressure the keeper/defence who had just one save to make in either half.

I thought we shaded the first half but it was quite even. I felt too many key men were not at their best and this has happened a lot in the last 7 or 8 games. People rave about Norwood, Fleck and Duffy but they are very inconsistent at the moment. Duffy has played well in about 1 game in the last 5. Ditto for Fleck. The latter I think has had a poor season – I got called a lot of that but he is not really influencing games in terms of creating or scoring. The defence was fine saved for the silly back pass and a few moments where players dived in and of course Henderson makes the big rick. I felt we had some ok performances but not enough stand out performances. Outside of Bash who played really well? You could say the same for Leeds and both teams cancelled each other out somewhat but if we want to get in the top places, we have to have players really grasping the nettle. Our midfield three and strikers did not really do that today.

I see some on twitter being quite optimistic about the performance and where we are and we have played well most of this season but I see real parallels with the side from last season in terms of us starting to trail off. I do not see Wilder getting much more out of this group really. That is not a criticism of him or the players. We tend to forget none of these players have played higher than middle champ or League One. That is a fact. Indeed, many are very definitely journeyman type players who Wilder has got punching above their weight. On one hand we have many fans of rivals telling us we have players that no one would get excited about but and we get annoyed but they are right. There is a reason why players like Sharp, Fleck, Duffy, Bash, McGoldrick etc have never played top level. They are not good enough to do that. That may seem harsh but again is reality. They are not good enough or consistent. A lot of the time I look at McGoldrick and Duffy and think how have they not played top level but then I look at the lack of goals/end product and consistency week in, week out and you see why.

I feel frustrated tonight. I am not sure why. We are right up amongst the challengers and have some exciting games to come but I see the same again v West Brom and Derby etc. We saw it so many times last season where we have more of the ball, create stuff, don’t finish teams and ultimately teams sneak a goal and get points they do not deserve. As I say it has happened too many times for it to be a coincidence. Wilder needs some help and if he does not get it; I think we will end up around the mid table places. I said this at the start of the season and got panned for it but on personnel and wage bill that would still be a very good achievement. Look at comparable squads/players such as Stoke, Swansea, Preston, Millwall, Reading, Hull (many of them have players who have played much higher) and where they are now.