+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we have an academy?

Do we have an academy?

Heard today that around 9/10 young lads from Rotherham have been offered scholarships next season at the two Sheffield Clubs.

That’s half of the intake for both clubs combined per season.

Couldn’t believe it.

What’s that all about???

Surely not true.

Howdy what’s your source? Sounds like to me like a lord haw haw post

I think we have academy teams, although not as advanced as those of most clubs these days. Some clubs boast U8's all the way through to U23's. Not sure what we've got or even if we have an actual base.
    When you look at how many players we've brought through the ranks and into the first team over the last 10-15 years and what their contributions have been to the first team, I'd be surprised if it's even into double figures.
    The last player to come through our ranks who was sold on for decent money is probably Will Hoskins.

Last edited by howdydoo; 02-12-2018 at 06:16 AM.

Yeah I made it up Brin. *sighs*

The other clubs probably have more money and better facilities but surely these lads would have a better pathway through a club like Rotherham?

I know Rotherham do have teams through the age groups. I learned that when I made the story up. It’s based on Bawtry Road. My ‘do Rotherham have an academy’ comment is aimed at the local scouting network really.

Heard it’s been non existent. Probably put on the back burner from Evan’s days.

Think they have trials but rarely any scouts out watching grassroots footy.

Suppose it’s a lottery anyway. Just seems a shame, if true. Which it is.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

The other clubs probably have more money and better facilities but surely these lads would have a better pathway through a club like Rotherham?

I know Rotherham do have teams through the age groups. I learned that when I made the story up. It’s based on Bawtry Road. My ‘do Rotherham have an academy’ comment is aimed at the local scouting network really.

I know of three lads who all go to Wickersley school have been offed scholarships at the Sheff clubs one of which is my nephew. A Real shame as they are all very very good players.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

Howdy, So how long allegedly did we look at these lads before saying no? For someone who rarely posts you seem to be in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by kevthemaltbymiller View Post
    I know of three lads who all go to Wickersley school have been offed scholarships at the Sheff clubs one of which is my nephew. A Real shame as they are all very very good players.
    Hope your nephew does well but if he’s good and plays for Wednesday then he has a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Howdy, So how long allegedly did we look at these lads before saying no? For someone who rarely posts you seem to be in the know.
    I think the issue here was when these kids were 10/11 our club had a certain manager in charge that wasn't interested in the academy. A little quote from our managers lips at the time was " I may only have a job for a couple of years so why should I be bothered about kids".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast