+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do we have an academy?

Where did I say that lads simply jump into a scholarship?

I understand Individual clubs award 8 to 10 ( outside the top clubs) scholarships every year maximum. Hardly easy is it?

I just find it strange that the Rotherham borough area is producing decent prospects and Rotherham haven’t approached most of these boys from the ages of 8yo - 16yo. They’d probably lose out to the bigger clubs but why aren’t they trying? Maybe they believe it’s a lost cause. I heard there’s actually at least 4 lads from Wickersley School been taken on by the Sheffield Clubs and more through the Grassroots team based there.

You seem to think that’s wrong and untrue but I don’t need to volunteer to know the truth. I concede, at other age groups it may be different.

Historically the half time games for youngsters at New York are made up of primary schools. The real players are playing at grassroots because not all primary schools have football teams.

Need to be looking a little further afield than that.

Just find it strange.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Where did I say that lads simply jump into a scholarship?

I understand Individual clubs award 8 to 10 ( outside the top clubs) scholarships every year maximum. Hardly easy is it?

I just find it strange that the Rotherham borough area is producing decent prospects and Rotherham haven’t approached most of these boys from the ages of 8yo - 16yo. They’d probably lose out to the bigger clubs but why aren’t they trying? Maybe they believe it’s a lost cause. I heard there’s actually at least 4 lads from Wickersley School been taken on by the Sheffield Clubs and more through the Grassroots team based there.

You seem to think that’s wrong and untrue but I don’t need to volunteer to know the truth. I concede, at other age groups it may be different.

Historically the half time games for youngsters at New York are made up of primary schools. The real players are playing at grassroots because not all primary schools have football teams.

Need to be looking a little further afield than that.

Just find it strange.

Hi Howdy, good to hear from you. As it stands, Rotherham have a level 3 academy which is pretty standard for league 1 clubs (Crewe/Colchester/Barnsley & Coventry are level 2). If and until we become a settled Championship club, the extra investment needed for a level 2 academy would not be financially viable especially as since EPPP came into force, if we were to unearth an amazing gem from a Rotherham school, the grade 1 academies can just take him for essentially peanuts. Under Evans the youth system was entirely superfluous as he wasn't interested in it, now the strategy has to be more focused on youth but our greatest opportunity is to find a rough diamond who has struggled elsewhere (Ajayi) or take someone with potential from lower down the pyramid (Purrington). If Ajayi continues to improve and we do get £10m for him, that means that the playing budget could increase by £3m a year for 3 years of £2m for 5 years attracting better players and making the chances of finding the next Ajayi all the more likely.

Hi Tony,

Nice to hear from you as well.

Both Sheffield clubs are also Cat 2 clubs.

I wouldn’t expect Rotherham to compete financially and upgrade their facilities to Cat 2 level.

What I don’t understand is why they are not at least approaching the best lads in the borough.

I understand that all the lads that have come through Wickersley we’re picked up at 12yo and older and none were asked by Rotherham for trials at any time.

A couple Rotherham lads have even had international recognition, I believe. I know one has for a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by tony2606742 View Post
    Hi Howdy, good to hear from you. As it stands, Rotherham have a level 3 academy which is pretty standard for league 1 clubs (Crewe/Colchester/Barnsley & Coventry are level 2). If and until we become a settled Championship club, the extra investment needed for a level 2 academy would not be financially viable especially as since EPPP came into force, if we were to unearth an amazing gem from a Rotherham school, the grade 1 academies can just take him for essentially peanuts. Under Evans the youth system was entirely superfluous as he wasn't interested in it, now the strategy has to be more focused on youth but our greatest opportunity is to find a rough diamond who has struggled elsewhere (Ajayi) or take someone with potential from lower down the pyramid (Purrington). If Ajayi continues to improve and we do get £10m for him, that means that the playing budget could increase by £3m a year for 3 years of £2m for 5 years attracting better players and making the chances of finding the next Ajayi all the more likely.
    Don't think our training facilities are good enough for Level 2.

Barnsley already had an indoor 3G pitch but had to build a new outdoor one for Level 2.

We haven't got any indoor training training facilities/ 3G pitches.

Rotherham play at Bawtry road at the University, so they have access to 3G/4G (?) pitches.

Not owned by the club, so doubt they would be allowed to apply for Cat 2 status.

Tony, private messaged you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123