+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Millmoor capacity

I was at the Leicester 5th round tie at Millmoor v Leicester City in 1967/68 season There wee 24,000 there. They had the same attendance v Leeds in 70/71. I was there too.

The atmosphere in both games was electric.

What I remember most was my Dad had a Hillman Minx and we always used to come down Ferham road and Park on the main road about a hundred yards before the bridge.

As you walked over the bridge you had a good view of the ground particularly the Railway end and I recall it was teaming with people like bees round a hive. It was really special.

I was also at the Barnsley game mentioned above. I might be wrong but wasn’t that the game where Ian Banks scored a scorcher?

I also remember the toilets down at the Railway end where you could only keep the door closed if you put your foot there. Outside toilets - remember them?

There was also a capacity of 23,500 for the 4th round replay v Manchester Utd in 1967. I went to the first game at Old Trafford (there were over 53,000 there) but I didn’t go to the replay as I was too small. Dad and my eldest brother went and both say we were robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    I was at the Leicester 5th round tie at Millmoor v Leicester City in 1967/68 season There wee 24,000 there. They had the same attendance v Leeds in 70/71. I was there too.

The atmosphere in both games was electric.

What I remember most was my Dad had a Hillman Minx and we always used to come down Ferham road and Park on the main road about a hundred yards before the bridge.

As you walked over the bridge you had a good view of the ground particularly the Railway end and I recall it was teaming with people like bees round a hive. It was really special.

I was also at the Barnsley game mentioned above. I might be wrong but wasn’t that the game where Ian Banks scored a scorcher?

I also remember the toilets down at the Railway end where you could only keep the door closed if you put your foot there. Outside toilets - remember them?

Just been watching the Barnsley game after I found it in response to this thread.

Can't recall being at this but was definitely the time I was a regular, and close to time I started with my season tickets, although now long since lapsed due to work commitments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzLsgiavL6s&t=1024s

I think it's a shame really, that we've always been limited by our ground capacity. I'm sure in the days of 25000 capacity crowds we could have got more if the club had built larger stands in the first place. Donny and Barnsley both had 40000+ capacity grounds at some time in history.
    I know three sides of Millmoor were closely surrounded by buildings and a train line but there was loads of room behind the tivoli end to extend back but the club never ever took advantage of that.

I don't know if this will be legible but it's a copy from a 1950-51 promotion souvenir
    The crowds for div 3 North are amazing - even more so for the cup games

I recall quite a few of our turnstile operators were accused of letting people in for free. I'm sure they were outed in the press.
    People jumping over the gate and possibly not paying the full entrance fee.

If this was true then maybe our attendances were higher than declared for years.
    For the big cup games even if it was sold out then more people could have got in quite easily.

Just watched the video from the 81 game , first time I've watched it in a good number of years .

Two proper teams going at it , total commitment and plenty of ability and skill .

The two wingers on show , Towner and Barraclough displayed skills that you don't see so much today , beating your man and crossing the ball perfectly , both were superb that day .

What a bloody game that was .

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I think it's a shame really, that we've always been limited by our ground capacity. I'm sure in the days of 25000 capacity crowds we could have got more if the club had built larger stands in the first place. Donny and Barnsley both had 40000+ capacity grounds at some time in history.
    I know three sides of Millmoor were closely surrounded by buildings and a train line but there was loads of room behind the tivoli end to extend back but the club never ever took advantage of that.
    I read somewhere (possibly gerry somertons book) that there were embryonic plans in the 1940s (possibly 50s) to use millmoor as a new national stadium. The tivoli was to be extended up and back with a capacity of over 20k in that one stand alone. Plans just fizzled out.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just watched the video from the 81 game , first time I've watched it in a good number of years .

Two proper teams going at it , total commitment and plenty of ability and skill .

The two wingers on show , Towner and Barraclough displayed skills that you don't see so much today , beating your man and crossing the ball perfectly , both were superb that day .

What a bloody game that was .
    Yeh, shurrup abart it then.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I was watching a few videos of old games from the early 80's on YouTube recently. There's a video of a 2-4 home defeat to Barnsley which no doubt a lot on here will have been there that day. I was just 3 years old in 1982 and it would be another six years before I went to my first game.
    Millmoor looked absolutely rammed, and I've never seen the Railway End as full as it looked that day either. So I'm wondering what the capacity was at the time?
    There must have been at least 6500 Barnsley fans alone.
    I had a Rothmans football book around 1985/86 and I'm almost certain the capacity was listed as 18500.
    Who was there that day and can you remember the attendance?
    Official attendance seems to be 18,324. Interestingly only just over 8K saw us beat Norwich 4-1 the first game of that season and only just over 10K saw us beat Chelsea 6-0 two weeks before the Barnsley game. They weren't Chelski in those days as 10 of their 11 were English, only the hapless goalkeeper Barrota was a 'foreigner'.

Whilst on my wander around the internet I looked at some of the other 'big' games in those years. Only just over 10K saw us beat Arsenal 3-1 in the League Cup in 78, a team that by my reckoning included 10 internationals.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast