+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Millmoor capacity

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    ...i remember Burnley having a huge stand down one side.......must have held a few thousand.
    Stoodin it a couple of times. When they scored against us it was like bloody thunder in there.
    I hope we sounded as load.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Official attendance seems to be 18,324. Interestingly only just over 8K saw us beat Norwich 4-1 the first game of that season and only just over 10K saw us beat Chelsea 6-0 two weeks before the Barnsley game. They weren't Chelski in those days as 10 of their 11 were English, only the hapless goalkeeper Barrota was a 'foreigner'.

Whilst on my wander around the internet I looked at some of the other 'big' games in those years. Only just over 10K saw us beat Arsenal 3-1 in the League Cup in 78, a team that by my reckoning included 10 internationals.

The game in May 1982 against Wednesday was seen by 20,513. At that point the capacity was 22,000 and was only reduced when the section next to the railway end on Millmoor lane side was seated.

Btw, after 13 years as a member, footymad has decided that my email isn't valid on my original account so after 3 weeks of waiting to be authorized, I am back under this.

Something else that I've just remembered... the Main Stand seating didn't originally go right up to level with the Players Tunnel and was extended, I think, when Anton Johnson was in charge (may have been earlier) - and would have increased the capacity a bit.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 05-12-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    There were 24k there for the Leeds cup tie about 1972. Proper crush that was.
    It was 1971 I think. That was the biggest crush I've ever been in. Remember being lifted off my feet with arms pinned by my sides just trying to reach the turnstile. Been a bit claustrophobic ever since. Just looked online out of curiosity and gate receipts were £7,666. Works out to about 30p each!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    It was 1971 I think. That was the biggest crush I've ever been in. Remember being lifted off my feet with arms pinned by my sides just trying to reach the turnstile. Been a bit claustrophobic ever since. Just looked online out of curiosity and gate receipts were £7,666. Works out to about 30p each!
    If I was a tax man I would be looking at that.

Quote Originally Posted by tony2606742 View Post
    The game in May 1982 against Wednesday was seen by 20,513. At that point the capacity was 22,000 and was only reduced when the section next to the railway end on Millmoor lane side was seated.
    I was at that game and am surprised that the crowd figure is so big - but that's the figure given in the Gerry Somerton book. Maybe the Main Stand had been extended by then, but there was no other seating in Millmoor at that time?

1964 Millers vs Burnley FA Cup massive crowd I think Colin Clish broke his leg in this one,great full back.

Taken from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/...millmoor.shtml

Millmoor stats

Millmoor was built in 1907, the club formed in 1870.

The highest recorded attendance at Millmoor was back in December, 1952 when 25,170 fans saw Rotherham take on local rivals Sheffield United in the old second division.

Millmoor has one of the smallest pitches in the country, measuring 115 yards long, and 75 yards wide.

The record gate receipt at the ground came in the FA Cup third round against Southampton in January, 2002. The club took £106,182.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    I was at that game and am surprised that the crowd figure is so big - but that's the figure given in the Gerry Somerton book. Maybe the Main Stand had been extended by then, but there was no other seating in Millmoor at that time?
    I thought some of the seating on. the Railway End of Millmoor Lane was in before 82?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I thought some of the seating on. the Railway End of Millmoor Lane was in before 82?
    As I recall CA, it was done in between Emlyn Hughes's 2 seasons.

BTW How can I get my original account reactivated?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast