+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Millmoor capacity

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    I read somewhere (possibly gerry somertons book) that there were embryonic plans in the 1940s (possibly 50s) to use millmoor as a new national stadium. The tivoli was to be extended up and back with a capacity of over 20k in that one stand alone. Plans just fizzled out.
    That would have been crazy but brilliant. It would have been very tall and imposing because the tivoli end was quite a steep stand for a terrace.

I wasn't aware of that, but Port Vale definitely planned to have a "Wembley of the North" when they moved to their current ground, Vale Park, in about 1950... AND even made a start on building it. I think that the money ran out after two sides of the stadium had been completed, which gave it a strange lopsided look, with the other two stands/terraces scaled down from the original plan and so much smaller than the rest of it
    Last edited by mikemiller; 04-12-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Don’t know whether anyone went to Charlton in the 70’s before the days of all seater stadia but one of their terraces was massive

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    Don’t know whether anyone went to Charlton in the 70’s before the days of all seater stadia but one of their terraces was massive
    84,000 think the terrace was 32,000

Went to the last league game at the Valley (mid-1980's) before its redevelopment. The open end was mainly crumbling terracing by then and most of it fenced off for safety reasons. It was enormous though.

...i remember Burnley having a huge stand down one side.......must have held a few thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    There were 24k there for the Leeds cup tie about 1972. Proper crush that was.
    I was at that game too, fantastic atmosphere and we were robbed!

The Millmoor game was on 11th January 1971.

You may recall that same year that Leeds were the victims of a major giant killing losing 3-2 at Colchester in the 5th round.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    The Millmoor game was on 11th January 1971.

You may recall that same year that Leeds were the victims of a major giant killing losing 3-2 at Colchester in the 5th round.
    I certainly do..ray crawford i think..

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    I certainly do..ray crawford i think..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcP49QdHus

As Russ Abbott would say "Oh What an atmosphere"

There are some longer highlights if you don't mind B&W

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast