+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ot coal mines could be bought back to use

ot coal mines could be bought back to use

use them as underground farms for growing vegetables and herbs

top academics say they are perfect and will be able to produce alot more food than farms above level to help ease the growing food shortage with the growing population.

got the backing of the coal board who own the mines.

Great idea, the ponies should be happy

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Great idea, the ponies should be happy

Surely you'd only be able to grow mushrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by welovebooth View Post
    use them as underground farms for growing vegetables and herbs

top academics say they are perfect and will be able to produce alot more food than farms above level to help ease the growing food shortage with the growing population.

got the backing of the coal board who own the mines.
    I saw the programme where a former World War Two air-raid shelter 100ft (30.5m) under Clapham Common, London, is already being used to grow greens for local supermarkets and restaurants.

The only thing stopping this getting off the ground is the astronomical costs involved re opening any coal mine.
    Take Silverwood my old pit. The shaft alone is over 900 yards deep and was filled in when the mine closed. Methane escape alone would prove to be a very dangerous task, before trying to extract any landfill that was used to seal off mine shafts. For me it's a great idea but a non starter.

I wonder how much methane is down there after all these years mothballed ? .

Seems to me alot of investment would be needed to make this a viable business , we are talking about vegetables not gold or diamonds .

Could be the answer to Rotherham's dreams this: we have a plethora of old mines in the borough and Tony's ASD Ltd are world leaders in LED lighting. Bring it on 😁

Methane, rising groundwater, collapsed ceilings, access problems.
    Huge health and safety obstacles to overcome. Anything,s possible but it would need significant investment so that would mean some very expensive carrots

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I wonder how much methane is down there after all these years mothballed ? .

Seems to me alot of investment would be needed to make this a viable business , we are talking about vegetables not gold or diamonds .
    but if we are not growing enough vegetables and food gold and diamonds become worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast