+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wrexham FA cup game

Wrexham FA cup game

Watched the game last night and Wrexham werein control for most of the game. Newport were lucky to get a draw. As the commentators said "you would think Wrexham were the league2 side"..

Our not wanted Brad Walker was defensive midfielder. He had an excellent game. Read the game well, positional sense excellent, and he appeared to just stroll around. His runs caused problems and he was a danger at set pieces. Was he not the player who did not have enough pace to play in midfield. and not good enough for our team???? His display last night was no surprise to me.

In the first half the commentators said what a good game he was having. In the second half they said how important he was in Wrexham`s system. I recall much earlier in the season when Walker had his only appearance as defensive midfielder Raynes saying how good he was, and what a pleasure it was to play behind him.

Recent comment by our manager "Wrexham want to keep Brad Walker. If they do they will have to buy him". Presume that would be for a low, low figure. What an absolute joke.

One of the big shortages in British football is good defensive midfielders who can read the game well. This young man has a lot of potential and could very easily be worth a big lot of money. He definitely should be recalled in January and put straight in the team. They should also offer him a 2 or 3 year new conrtract.

Brad Walker was never given a chance all the time he was here. It makes me so angry.

Totally Agree

Walker never really hit the heights for me and was a disappointing signing after so much hype about his Hartlepool performances. One of Artell's poorer signings in my opinion. He was given ample opportunity, mainly at CH and featured in 33 matches last season. When he was tried in mid-field, he did not impress. Artell had captured a much better prospect in Green and so it was the man on loan who took that all important midfield berth. This proved the best move as Green certainly helped us move away from the relegation mire in those final months. So what do they do to improve a player? Yes, they send him out on loan. Best tonic, obviously, because by all accounts he has done well and presumably Wrexham want him in January. If he doesn't want to return and fight for his place, then that is the best place for him and a fee must be up and coming, I would have thought. We don't know what went on behind the scenes, so I would not get too carried away, especially if this player moves on to pastures new.

Totally disagree with last post. Walker was never a CB. He was never given a chance at defensive midfield. Instead when he first signed we had a midfield that could not have fought its way out of a paper bag. Green arrived at a much later date.

Green served as a useful short term solution, and he done an excellent job. But he is nearing the end of his career. Walker is a young player with excellent potential. He is what the club is all about, signing young players, bringing them on and selling them to keep the format and the club going. If we sold him to Wrexham we would make a loss. Not a veru clever idea.

Dave Artell made a serious mistake with Brad Walker. The potential was there to see. But when you look at the complete balls up he has made of the midfield in all the time that he has been here it is no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Totally disagree with last post. Walker was never a CB. He was never given a chance at defensive midfield. Instead when he first signed we had a midfield that could not have fought its way out of a paper bag. Green arrived at a much later date.

Green served as a useful short term solution, and he done an excellent job. But he is nearing the end of his career. Walker is a young player with excellent potential. He is what the club is all about, signing young players, bringing them on and selling them to keep the format and the club going. If we sold him to Wrexham we would make a loss. Not a veru clever idea.

Dave Artell made a serious mistake with Brad Walker. The potential was there to see. But when you look at the complete balls up he has made of the midfield in all the time that he has been here it is no surprise.
    Beggers cannot be choosers. I will explain why. George Ray was injured early on and Walker had to slip into that CH role alongside Raynes. We had no-one else. He did play most of his games there, although there were occasions when Artell tried him in midfield. He made little impression on me in either position. Green arrive in January and was instrumental in improving our midfield. If Walker has anything about him, he will return in January and use the experience gained out on loan, to fight for a place in this side of ours. We don't want players who don't want to play for us.

If we sell him, he will definitely come back to bite us on the bum should Wrexham get promoted. In the brief highlights he was mentioned several times in the thick of things. I believe we should keep him as I believe Green is possibly one more injury from retirement. However, if the reports about Walker are true about him losing interest in football, then this doesn't bode well for future setbacks in his career.
    Another factor to consider is the possible departure of a few players. It would be better to have personnel ready for a seamless handover, either in the new year or next season

Alex mick the reason we started winning game was mostly because a certain midfielder who had been labelled a gem, a future auperstar, and our playmaker had been dropped, and not before time. Yes Green made a major contribution, but long before that Walker should have been in the midfield. We had no one else? Perry could have gone CB as he often has now. In sll truth DA has not got a clue when it comes to midfield.

I made this point when Walker was loaned out to Wrexham and I got slated on here for pointing out that Walker should have been in the starting 11 in midfield, someone stated that he is not good enough because he doesn't have enough pace, I imagine that twonk will remember that statement, but as I pointed out at the time his argument ruled out the whole squad. I always thought Walker was real quality but Artell is the problem with regards to Walker, as Walker pointed out he got to play at Wrexham whereas Artell didn't even give him an opportunity as substitute for Crewe. That is why Walker said he wanted to spend the remainder of the season at Wrexham, he is unlikely to get any game time at Crewe, so can't blame him really for making that statement,but the blame lies with Artell, who has not handled the situation well. We could end up losing Walker for very little money, Artell has already stated that Wrexham can have him if they come up with the asking price, its unlikely we will be offering him another contract and anyway why would he sign to remain at a club who wont give him any game time.