+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 55 of 87 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Is Brexit a dead duck?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    A general election which is sure to follow will be very interesting.
    I don't think it will be interesting at all, I think we'll just end up with more of the same. It will still be a choice between Conservative and Labour because there are no other serious options. There may well be a small swing to the far right but nothing significant and they won't get close to winning any seats. I like to make predictions, and at the moment mine is that at the next general election the Tories will get most seats, but it will be either a tiny majority or a hung parliament. The main shift will be towards the apathy party, with a low turnout because people just can't find an option they believe in. If you're expecting a dramatic shift, I think you'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I don't think it will be interesting at all, I think we'll just end up with more of the same. It will still be a choice between Conservative and Labour because there are no other serious options. There may well be a small swing to the far right but nothing significant and they won't get close to winning any seats. I like to make predictions, and at the moment mine is that at the next general election the Tories will get most seats, but it will be either a tiny majority or a hung parliament. The main shift will be towards the apathy party, with a low turnout because people just can't find an option they believe in. If you're expecting a dramatic shift, I think you'll be disappointed.
    I hate to say it but on this one occasion I think Elite is right🤔

I agree. Corbyn needs to be careful what he wishes for because Labour under him has no chance of winning.

Neither a second referendum nor a general election is a good idea currently. May's deal is... sort of alright, I guess, and the sensible thing to do would be to go with it. I still think that, in the cold light of day, that's what will happen.

That's when things start to get really interesting, though. Time to see which side was right.

I am not expecting any dramatic shift also and don't want any shift to the far right or the far left. There is no far right party anyway at present, Ukip is finished as a political force. Labour I suppose could be described as a far left party under Corbyn. The interesting bit is like you say what % of the population will bother to vote for the rubbish choice they have.

Very astute assessment. I can't see the balance changing much at all , although I think Ms Soubry may be going back into legal practice. The country is hopelessly divided and is likely to remain so.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Neither a second referendum nor a general election is a good idea currently. May's deal is... sort of alright, I guess, and the sensible thing to do would be to go with it. I still think that, in the cold light of day, that's what will happen.

That's when things start to get really interesting, though. Time to see which side was right.
    That’s a big call. I haven’t seen anyone, anywhere predict that May’s deal will pass, and you can get 9/1 at the bookies if you think it’s a goer.

I reckon it’ll be a lot closer than what most people seem to think. May’s tactics of running the clock down and panicking some into voting for her deal will certainly work on quite a few, though probably not enough. What happens then is the good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    That’s a big call. I haven’t seen anyone, anywhere predict that May’s deal will pass, and you can get 9/1 at the bookies if you think it’s a goer.

I reckon it’ll be a lot closer than what most people seem to think. May’s tactics of running the clock down and panicking some into voting for her deal will certainly work on quite a few, though probably not enough. What happens then is the good bit.
    I think 9/1 is very good value.
    I only see the 2 absolute extremes of the tory party as her problem. A lot of the 117 who voted to boot her out will fall into line, I can imagine the DUP folding too. She'll get some labour traitors too. Many brexiteers will fold and remainers like Clarke and Morgan have already said they'll vote for her brexit. But if only 20 ERG hold out, plus 10 remainers, she's probably lost it.

As someone who wants to stay in the EU, I'm glad there are some tories not satisfied with the deal who think it's worth the risk to try to get a second and bigger mandate to leave, even without a deal. They risk having no brexit at all. Great, let them put all their chips in and roll the dice. They have a chance and it'd be a fairer, more democratic route than May and Gove's sly, blind brexit based on a bent vote in 2016. Johnson should fancy his chances against Corbyn in a GE in 2019. So, I won't be having any of that 9/1. May will fall this month and it's a GE or 2nd ref before much of this year has passed

What probably happens next is that all other options will be voted down so they can put it back to the people to have a second vote.
    Something they have worked towards from the start.
    The interesting thing would be what would the politicians do if the result of a second vote had the same outcome has the first.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    What probably happens next is that all other options will be voted down so they can put it back to the people to have a second vote.
    Something they have worked towards from the start.
    The interesting thing would be what would the politicians do if the result of a second vote had the same outcome has the first.
    Most likely? Without a GE, a new tory leader takes us out with the so-called 'managed' no deal

Page 55 of 87 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast