+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Is Brexit a dead duck?

... what's great about this mess is that it's showing up this rabble of MP's for what they are - career opportunists who have put self-interest before their responsibility to act on behalf of the electorate. We have MP's who are beholding to both right and left wing interests; this may never stop until we have genuine leaders who tell those interests to f-off when necessary. Out of this we may eventually go back to having a parliament which is fit for purpose; clearly this will take time, even a generation. In the meantime we have to continue facing down the liars until they decide their life as con artists in parliament is not worth the hassle.
    Oh, by the way, it'll still be a no deal exit and this won't become clear until February.

Brexit? Goes to show that referendums don't mean sh1t as we think we're in a free democratic society. They have intention of leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Brexit? Goes to show that referendums don't mean sh1t as we think we're in a free democratic society. They have intention of leaving.
    ^^^^^^

The Establishment (inc Sid) won't let us leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I don't agree about Corbyn. Does the expression 'don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes' ring a bell? If he had jumped on the second referendum bandwagon, whole swathes of his voter base would never have voted Labour again. Now Labour are perhaps poised to form a government, if May cocks up again, which is almost inevitable. Don't expect him to cancel Brexit though, that's what voters asked for whether you like that or not.
    There’s a great thread on Twitter about how Brexit is as if 52% of the population have asked someone to build them a cheese submarine. Theresa May got her job because, despite previously claiming otherwise, she could actually be the one to build the cheese submarine.

Corbyn’s position always has and continues to be that he would definitely be better at building a cheese submarine than May. Only now, he’s got a bit over 3 months to do it rather than 2 years. I’m struggling to share your opinion of him that he’s some kind of strategic genius. His “strategy” has largely been governed by the fact that he wants Brexit, but the vast majority of his party doesn’t.

As soon as the referendum result was announced the government should have concentrated on putting in place new trade deals outside the EU. Instead they have tried to bodge a deal which keeps us as near to remain as possible.When a remainder in in charge of negotiations, what else can we expect.

Quote Originally Posted by gozzie321 View Post
    As soon as the referendum result was announced the government should have concentrated on putting in place new trade deals outside the EU. Instead they have tried to bodge a deal which keeps us as near to remain as possible.When a remainder in in charge of negotiations, what else can we expect.
    Would the UK not have broken some law by doing what you suggest? I thought we unable to ‘officially’ start talks, and don’t we have to sort ourselves out with the WTO as we are only members of it through our EU membership?

I agree that a stout remainer should not have assumed control of our exit. But then those that ran the leave campaign distanced themselves from the hornets nest after vigorously shaking it. Brexit is like Notts current season, shambolic.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    There’s a great thread on Twitter about how Brexit is as if 52% of the population have asked someone to build them a cheese submarine. Theresa May got her job because, despite previously claiming otherwise, she could actually be the one to build the cheese submarine.

Corbyn’s position always has and continues to be that he would definitely be better at building a cheese submarine than May. Only now, he’s got a bit over 3 months to do it rather than 2 years. I’m struggling to share your opinion of him that he’s some kind of strategic genius. His “strategy” has largely been governed by the fact that he wants Brexit, but the vast majority of his party doesn’t.
    The cheese submarine would be great if we used good old fashioned English cheddar, its all that fancy stuff from the continent with holes in it that would cause the problem . . . hmm?

I don't think this is the establishment trying to keep us in. They've had plenty of chances to do that in other ways, only yesterday the High Court ruled that the violations of the campaign rules by the leave campaign (and there were plenty) weren't enough to invalidate the referendum, that would've been an easy way to do it. Last week the European Court ruled against an 80 year old ex soldier who settled in Italy after going there to fight who wasn't allowed to vote - another PR friendly way to do it - but they didn't.

I think generally speaking we always look for conspiracies when it's normally a question of incompetence and slow decision making when large organisations are involved.

Also MPs in this country are elected to take decisions that they see fit for the country. People who expect their MP to be in favour of Brexit at any cost don't understand the rules and traditions of our political system.

I'm not saying everything in this country is perfect but it is certainly a free country and I'd advise anyone who disagrees to travel a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I don't agree about Corbyn. Does the expression 'don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes' ring a bell? If he had jumped on the second referendum bandwagon, whole swathes of his voter base would never have voted Labour again. Now Labour are perhaps poised to form a government, if May cocks up again, which is almost inevitable. Don't expect him to cancel Brexit though, that's what voters asked for whether you like that or not.
    Corbyn will never get into No10 he just doesn't have the voters to get him there luckily. It'll be a hung parliament and Labour will have jump into bed with the SNP who will demand either Labour remain in the EU or they get another independence vote. Unfortunately at the moment we have 5 unelectable parties, well 2 really.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I don't think this is the establishment trying to keep us in. They've had plenty of chances to do that in other ways, only yesterday the High Court ruled that the violations of the campaign rules by the leave campaign (and there were plenty) weren't enough to invalidate the referendum, that would've been an easy way to do it. Last week the European Court ruled against an 80 year old ex soldier who settled in Italy after going there to fight who wasn't allowed to vote - another PR friendly way to do it - but they didn't.

I think generally speaking we always look for conspiracies when it's normally a question of incompetence and slow decision making when large organisations are involved.

Also MPs in this country are elected to take decisions that they see fit for the country. People who expect their MP to be in favour of Brexit at any cost don't understand the rules and traditions of our political system.

I'm not saying everything in this country is perfect but it is certainly a free country and I'd advise anyone who disagrees to travel a bit more.
    They are elected to make decisions but they are also elected to represent their constituents

Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast