+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warne on his planning for the January transfer window

Quote Originally Posted by tom12026 View Post
    Mourihno says just that and it ,s working very well for him-not
    Mourihno has said it at every club he has ever managed and yes it has worked so far.

Warny does things differently to Mourihno tho so hardly a good comparison to make.

If Paul thinks this current squad does not need improvement and is stating this publicly how does he think it is going to effect his players? Are they going to think - well this great news for my wife and kids - or are they going to think - well that's not good news because I'm a footballer who wants to win things but this club is just happy to be in the Championship and struggle to survive every season, I'm off!

Make your own mind up what you think will happen I know I have.

My thoughts are that you do not criticise your players in public.He moved some deadwood on in the summer and brought improvements in so perhaps that is his aim but above all doing it quietly.He may think some players are not up to the level he would want but knows that it would be counter-productive to shout it from the roof-tops if for no other reason than getting the best price for them if they move.He will not want some-one to think they are buying garbage will he.

Good points Tom

2 or 3 better quality players in. A couple of dissapointed sales with 2 or 3 more off the books.

He's made the club a better place to come and succeed imo so bring it on! Either way we'll have another go ont roller coaster!

My thoughts are that you do not criticise your players in public.He moved some deadwood on in the summer and brought improvements in so perhaps that is his aim but above all doing it quietly.He may think some players are not up to the level he would want but knows that it would be counter-productive to shout it from the roof-tops if for no other reason than getting the best price for them if they move.He will not want some-one to think they are buying garbage will he.
    Remember that there will be players he has that want to progress in their career. If you were a player at Rotherham what would you like to hear from your manager?

A, we are happy with what we have. IE, a struggle to stay in this division every season.

B, I would like to improve the squad and make us a better team so were not struggling to just keep our head above the water every season.

If our manager and any of our players chose A, then they cannot call themselves professionals.

I would prefer him to tell me in private and not in the advertiser but I see your point

I would prefer him to tell me in private and not in the advertiser but I see your point
    They're fully aware Tom. It'll be a crunch time for those nearing the end of their contracts like Newell for instance. We haven't heard if the contract offer still stands or what about the other players who're reaching the end of their contracts int summer.

I would hate to lose too many players with league 1 winning experience. That might sound negative but we have to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Yikes.... Not a happy bunny reading that to be honest.

We will need to recruit in January for sure and that's not an observation that's a fact.

I understand that there is still lots of improvement yet to come from the players and this is a good thing but with everything hinging on the 2nd half of the season we definitely have to sign a few players or gamble on these players keeping us up and that is a massive gamble.

Every manager in every division should be looking to improve the squad they have and not just looking to replace players who leave.

As stated above, not a happy bunny after reading that.
    The first half of this season as gone better than i expected to be honest,but and there is always a but,can we expect these same players,to give their absolute maximum,and more,for the second half of the season,the lads have got to reach burn out at some point,and that is when we are going to struggle,i am thinking of Michael Smith in particular,he simply cannot keep that level of performance up for a full season,its almost impossible to do so,maybe that is why Warney is taking it easy with Michael Proctor,that when Smith's form does drop,he can bring Proc's in to the team,as far as the January transfer window is concerned,we simply have to recruit,a few new faces will give the team,the lift they deserve,after all the effort the current players have put in,that is the least they deserve,we shall see.

If Rodak goes how about a bid for Martinez who is currently on loan in Spain where he’s only played 3 games this season. He’s not played first team for A rsenal since he was here either.

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    If Rodak goes how about a bid for Martinez who is currently on loan in Spain where he’s only played 3 games this season. He’s not played first team for A rsenal since he was here either.
    I agree with that mate but again it will come down to wages it’s a risky game not having our own first team goalkeeper.

PW on January | "I don't really want to lose anyone but I only want to bring in people that want to come in and play. This window might pass by with no ins or outs and that's fine with me. There's nowhere on the pitch that we're lacking talent."

Can’t say I agree tbh, when there injuries especially in the back then we need back ups, maybe fetch our players back from loans

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast