+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oh dear...we've been forced to play footballers!!

Oh dear...we've been forced to play footballers!!

The quotes below are lifted from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46440501

It is a sad day when a manager feels he has no option but to play footballers.

"If we go and try and outplay Celtic, the reality is we'll lose the game," he said. "History tells you that.

"We've had to tweak things, we haven't been quite as physical, we haven't had people that were rattling about, we have had to put more footballers in the team due to injuries and circumstances.

Time for him to go. All that talk about getting players out before any come in is down to him. He signed most of the dross. Connor Sammon FFS!

The only time we have played decent football this season was against Aberdeen, low and behold we won that game. If he thinks we can just go and steamroller Celtic he is in the wrong game. We need players that can win the ball and create something at the same time. I take it when January comes he will get rid of the football players we have and bring in even more physical players to replace them.

I want to be able to make a case for Stephen Robinson, I really do...but when he comes out with guff like that then it's very difficult to. In a season where we have been largely awful and have played little to no football resulting in zero entertainment for the support, to hear him coming out with that is just soul destroying stuff.

Deary me ... unless his comments have been taken out of context, there's a real problem in trying to get your head around his football 'philosophy' these days. A shameful loss on Wednesday will only increase the noise to shove him out the door. Not my choice personally, but it's getting tough watching hoof-ball week in, week out.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    it's getting tough watching hoof-ball week in, week out.
    You didn't have to watch too much of it on Saturday fortunately. Encouraging that we tried to play football, in spells, on a very poor surface.

Yep I think a heavy, demoralising defeat tonight will see more of the support turn against him.

That's a very clumsy quote. He can get some benefit of the doubt because 1) his initial point about outplaying Celtic is obviously true, and 2) we clearly did stumble into the Bigi-Turnbull pairing which has improved us. But still, it's a dismal thing to have said and he should know better.

More interesting, however, was this: "There's players we have brought in, we perhaps have to move some of them on which we'll do over the course of the next few weeks."

One of the things which impressed me most - and despite his struggles, continues actually - about Robinson is that he isn't too proud to bin 'his' players when it doesn't work. It was great how he shipped out Fisher after a few months, doesn't insist on playing Sammon ahead of Bowman etc. Few managers do this and it is a real strength. Of course, as he says, it's not easy getting unwanted players out of contracts but he did brilliantly at that in summer 2017 and needs to do so again in January. And then needs to sign better players.

Acknowledging your mistake/problem is the first step to fixing it and while I'd like him to admit the whole concept of his summer plan was flawed, this is hopefully a first step in that direction.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)