+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does the F A Cup carry much excitement for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I lost interest year’s ago.

The last cup finals I really watched were 87 and 88 with Coventry and Wimbledon winning.

The knocking down of the old Wembley finally did it for me ( a national disgrace ) and I hate the new stadium.

The 78 cup run is my fondest memory,from beating Blackpool 4-1 and then Man Utd 3-2 in the rain soaked replay.....I still can’t believe we didn’t win it that year.

Getting cheated in the semi a few years ago when Kanu handballed finally nailed the lid shut for me.

That said,fa cup days following Stourbridge FC have been some of the highlights of the last footballing decade for me.

To these sides it matters.

Who’ve we drawn by the way??
    All good points Mick...also the fact that most teams play at Wembly nowadays for play offs, weekly games semi finals etc.......it has lost a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    What!! ?.

Im more confused than ever before now, Q'ey kid.
    Aye up Acido. I’ll tell thee, I was answering the question posed by this thread.

For me there is on FA Cup Tie that epitomises what the FA Cup meant to Baggies fans.

On a cold Wednesday night in January 1968 we had a 3rd round cup replay v 4th Division Colchester. 38,488 turned up which I guess is about 30,000 more than if played now.

It was also 20,000 more than attended our Division ! game v Fulham a month later. How times have changed. For the better? Never.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    For me there is on FA Cup Tie that epitomises what the FA Cup meant to Baggies fans.

On a cold Wednesday night in January 1968 we had a 3rd round cup replay v 4th Division Colchester. 38,488 turned up which I guess is about 30,000 more than if played now.

It was also 20,000 more than attended our Division ! game v Fulham a month later. How times have changed. For the better? Never.
    I was at the 1-1 draw v Colchester. There were 4,000 Albion at the game (which later gave us preference for the Final).
    More at Pompey in the 5th Round, and I think there were 42,000 in all, which was probably 4 times their average gate.
    The Cup was massive in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost city albion View Post
    For me when I was a kid the dream was to score the winner in the fa cup final in injury time but times have moved on and it's sad that none of the so called big boys can be bothered and us really. I think the last big fa cup game for atmosphere was against Everton when we were only getting around 8000 to turn up to around 32000 it was electric

You’re spot on with the Everton game in 89.

I remember being at the back of the Brummie that day, it was unbelievable, absolutely heaving, a real stand out atmosphere in my memory. The bloke in front of me used to bring a little wooden pop crate for his nipper to stand on, Colin Anderson scored and the place just erupted, with everybody falling forward a very small clearing opened up and all you saw was this wooden pop crate minus the kid on it! One very frantic dad eventually got his lad back through the forest of legs but what a day, shame Kevin bas tard Sheedy had to go a bleeding spoil it.

The Cup game against Villa a year or two later when Gary Robson bost his leg was a good atmosphere too, we were a poor second best that day though.

I’ll always love the FA Cup, as somebody else has said, it was more important to win the Cup than the league, that’s how I saw it aswell. I’ve seen it from the non-league angle aswell, Dudley Town played York City at home the first round proper 1976/77. The ground was transformed, a big gate, radio people doing commentary, football league opponents, what a day, we should have won aswell, ended 1-1.

Cup final day saw me getting in front of the TV as early as possible to watch every minute of the build up. You were so envious of those in the final, even those in the semi as you knew what the prize was, Cup final day at Wembley Stadium. Now it’s all been watered down, the old ground had so much history, this new stadium has sod all, just a big Eastlands or whatever it’s called, I agree with much of Micks post. They could have found some way to have kept the twin towers, even one of them!

No, sorry to say but it’s nothing like the way it was, I still love it but it’s just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post
    You’re spot on with the Everton game in 89.

I remember being at the back of the Brummie that day, it was unbelievable, absolutely heaving, a real stand out atmosphere in my memory. The bloke in front of me used to bring a little wooden pop crate for his nipper to stand on, Colin Anderson scored and the place just erupted, with everybody falling forward a very small clearing opened up and all you saw was this wooden pop crate minus the kid on it! One very frantic dad eventually got his lad back through the forest of legs but what a day, shame Kevin bas tard Sheedy had to go a bleeding spoil it.

The Cup game against Villa a year or two later when Gary Robson bost his leg was a good atmosphere too, we were a poor second best that day though.

I’ll always love the FA Cup, as somebody else has said, it was more important to win the Cup than the league, that’s how I saw it aswell. I’ve seen it from the non-league angle aswell, Dudley Town played York City at home the first round proper 1976/77. The ground was transformed, a big gate, radio people doing commentary, football league opponents, what a day, we should have won aswell, ended 1-1.

Cup final day saw me getting in front of the TV as early as possible to watch every minute of the build up. You were so envious of those in the final, even those in the semi as you knew what the prize was, Cup final day at Wembley Stadium. Now it’s all been watered down, the old ground had so much history, this new stadium has sod all, just a big Eastlands or whatever it’s called, I agree with much of Micks post. They could have found some way to have kept the twin towers, even one of them!

No, sorry to say but it’s nothing like the way it was, I still love it but it’s just not the same.
    My memories from the Everton games.

They kicked us off the park in both games led by Peter Reid. Anderson at home (missed the reply) and Goodman away (our 2 best players) taken off injured.

Everton scored with a penalty at the Hawthorns after their players chased the ref and got him to change his decision even though the linesman 5 yards away gave nothing. Ref was Allan Gunn who lived in the next village. He died aged 60.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    I was at the 1-1 draw v Colchester. There were 4,000 Albion at the game (which later gave us preference for the Final).
    More at Pompey in the 5th Round, and I think there were 42,000 in all, which was probably 4 times their average gate.
    The Cup was massive in those days.
    Only missed Saints away in the 68 Cup Win. Watched it on the telly, Graham Williams in goal.

Only missed Saints away in the 68 Cup Win. Watched it on the telly, Graham Williams in goal.
    Same here. Only missed the Southampton game. One game that will always stick in my memory is the second replay against Liverpool at Maine Road. We went on to win the cup which was special but it was the following year that showed how great FA cup games could be. Being on the Brummie that freezing cold night they played Arsenal. As the game wore on it looked increasingly likely that the dour Gunners would get the 0-0 draw when Bomber fired in that late winner. What a feeling. Later the sixth round game at Stamford Bridge. Going 0-1 down but coming back to beat Chelsea 2-1. What a game. The cup felt so exciting back then.

I missed the 1st Liverpool replay (Anfield), then that Saints replay. Didn't know the score till the 10.30 highlights, and with 5 mins highlights to go Ossie went off and 5'7" Gray Williams went in goal! That's it then (I thought)! I think Chippy somehow got a winner with our backs to the wall.

Saw all Home and Away the following Year. Happy Days indeed!

The FA cup is the reason I became an Albion supporter. When they won it in 1954 the celebration bus came up the soho road to the Hawthorns, my old man took us to watch the bus come past and from then on I was hooked.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)