+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the F A Cup carry much excitement for you ?

Does the F A Cup carry much excitement for you ?

Yes, like many, I’ve been at Wembley! Never mind 1968...what about 1970 and the League Cup?
    In days gone by, I remember rushing into the school playground at break time (1960s) to read a specially set up blackboard, written by the school caretaker, of the 3rd round (and thereafter) Cup draw. Great excitement and discussion.
    Sadly for me, I no longer have that enthusiasm. I struggle today to have much motivation about the FA Cup. I guess I lost it several years ago.
    We (me and “she who must be obeyed”) maintain our passion for WBA. We continue with our season tickets and have got to know our baggies friends, who have sat alongside us at the Hawthorns, for many, many years. They will comment, “where were you, we missed you at the Cup match?”
    Clearly, a number of Championship and Premiership clubs now play lip service to the competition. Indeed WBA are themselves certainly guilty of not playing their best side. (I fully understand why, in view of the priority of the League)
    So for me, almost with regret, I’m more concerned about beating Wigan in the Championship fixture than the Cup. I suspect we will field a better starting side for the former match.
    Is it possible to retrieve the excitement of yesteryear?

For me when I was a kid the dream was to score the winner in the fa cup final in injury time but times have moved on and it's sad that none of the so called big boys can be bothered and us really. I think the last big fa cup game for atmosphere was against Everton when we were only getting around 8000 to turn up to around 32000 it was electric

Quote Originally Posted by Lost city albion View Post
    For me when I was a kid the dream was to score the winner in the fa cup final in injury time but times have moved on and it's sad that none of the so called big boys can be bothered and us really. I think the last big fa cup game for atmosphere was against Everton when we were only getting around 8000 to turn up to around 32000 it was electric
    It has lost its appeal. There are so many reason.
    Clubs, as Prando says, “pay lip service” to it.
    There is much football on telly now, it is overkill.
    Many of us have matured ( we’ve aged) and have other things to do

I guess there is many more reasons too. I don’t know the last time I watched the final. It is years now, actually it is decades. Football has evolved with the money thrown at it and for me, not for the better. It is not like it was when I was a kid growing up.

Oh for those Halcyon days.
    Last edited by Baggiemadguern; 05-12-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Back in the 50s/60s The Cup Final was just about the only live TV you saw. We'd start watching at 12 o'clock for the full Preview build-up, and wouldn't miss a minute. It sounds incredible, but the Cup Final was more important than winning the League in those days - no exaggeration.
    Since Sky, League Football has steadily evolved to be all-important, and when Ferguson gave The Cup the elbow back in 1999 The Cup quickly lost its prestige.
    I couldn't tell you who won it last Year, or the last 10 years, it almost seems irrelevant now. Pity.

I found my interest diminishing when we stopped picking our best side. I am not against the big teams playing weakened sides because it improves our chance of getting to Wembley for a great day out! During our premiership years it was our only chance of winning something but we had no interest, which was very frustrating.

There are a host of reasons, too many to mention, as to why th FA Cup has lost its magic. It used to be the climax of the season and also the final game of the season, kicking off at 3pm on the first Saturday in May. It's now relegated to a minor affair to be fitted in wherever possible. Until the bigger clubs stop putting out reserve sides and take it seriously, which I don't see happening, sadly it will not regain the prominence it once held.

About the FA Cup in general no. About the Baggies Cup Ties absolutely. Love a good Cup run.

Well heres my view on it as a Tyke...

The FA Cup 3rd Round tie at the start of the new year, was my first ever game at Oakwell actually, all the way back in Jan '81 against the mighty Torquay.

But it really has lost its appeal for me over the years and once again I/we find that the League is more important than any one-off Cup run. Yes a run to the Qtrs for example would be ace, but its NOT our priority anymore and hasn't been for a long time now.

Just can't get up for cup games or Internationals any more always used to love un but not any more .

I still love the FA Cup and I'd be absolutely ecstatic were we to win it again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)