Yes, like many, I’ve been at Wembley! Never mind 1968...what about 1970 and the League Cup?
In days gone by, I remember rushing into the school playground at break time (1960s) to read a specially set up blackboard, written by the school caretaker, of the 3rd round (and thereafter) Cup draw. Great excitement and discussion.
Sadly for me, I no longer have that enthusiasm. I struggle today to have much motivation about the FA Cup. I guess I lost it several years ago.
We (me and “she who must be obeyed”) maintain our passion for WBA. We continue with our season tickets and have got to know our baggies friends, who have sat alongside us at the Hawthorns, for many, many years. They will comment, “where were you, we missed you at the Cup match?”
Clearly, a number of Championship and Premiership clubs now play lip service to the competition. Indeed WBA are themselves certainly guilty of not playing their best side. (I fully understand why, in view of the priority of the League)
So for me, almost with regret, I’m more concerned about beating Wigan in the Championship fixture than the Cup. I suspect we will field a better starting side for the former match.
Is it possible to retrieve the excitement of yesteryear?