+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who took you to your first Notts match?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    He was one of very few white fellas who drove a black and white cab.
    My Dad was one of the others

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    It was a Dave Regis hat trick (wonder what happened to him?)
    He became Notts' Academy Manager today

My Dad 1949 Port Vale away on the train. My Mother came too but she went trent ham gardens.

Notts lost 3-1.

Thanks Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by KintoreMagpie View Post
    My first game was the last home match of 67/68 season against Southend which Notts won 4-3. As an impressionable young 7 year old I naively thought that all football games would be as exciting
    Is that the game where Les Bradd scored a diving header? I didn't even know you could do that before he did it. That game was better than ***, although obviously I wasn't aware of that that the time, also being 7.

This current team isn't even fit to wear their shirts, even though we finished just 5 points above re-election that year.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 06-12-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: I said shirts, not ****s

Cant remember the exact year or the opponents but it was roughly 45 years ago.

A relative (RIP) took me.

Stood on the Kop and remember the old scoreboard with the old lettering system e.g. A - (look it up in the program) 0-2

Away fans standing next to you, scarves tied round wrists, flared trousers, Bay City Rollers haircuts.

Then moved to JS Stand, now sit in the DP Stand.

Best games that stick in my memory for various reasons:

Winning at Leeds away in the cup circa 1976
    Losing at Highbury in the cup 5-0 circa 1977
    Winning at Villa on opening day of the season
    The night game against Spurs when they had a man (men?) sent off
    Sheff Wed at home - hence my user name.
    Losing at home to Macclesfield in a night game - 0-5 I think
    Beating Bradford on the opening day of the season, Hughes and Malone scored I think
    Various Wembley playoffs

And here I am looking at going to Crewe, FGR, etc

Married with children now.

My wife!

18/11/2017

Notts 3 - Cheltenham Town 1

I only started following Notts in 2009.

My dad used to say i would have to take over from him when he was gone so when he died i did.

Was hard work at first.

Probably more of a fanatic than he ever was now!

A Florist supporting Uncle took me to Notts v them in the County Cup circa 1973/4. Stood in the Kop with all the Florist fans, they ran out 4-2 winners (I think) much to the delight of my Uncle.

Back in those days we had my Granddad living with us and when I got home he asked how it was. I told him Florist won to which he replied "well that's good isn't it?" I replied with "I'm not sure, it didn't feel right?"

A few years later I decided to go to a match with a couple of Notts supporting friends and the rest is history.

What is really scary is if I had been easily influenced as an 8 year old I could quite easily have become one of them!

My Dad. 26th March 1971 away to Southend, a Friday night match and we lost 1 - 0. Despite being part of an enormous family, most of whom were born and brought up on Meadow Lane, he was the only one to become a lifelong Notts supporter. He then decided to inflict it on me....

The squad that season (cheers UTM!):

Barry Watling
    Roy Brown
    Bob Worthington
    David Needham
    Brian Stubbs
    Bill Brindley
    Geoff Ball
    Charlie Crickmore
    Jon Nixon
    Don Masson
    Mick Jones
    Dennis Oakes
    John Hobson
    Richie Barker
    Les Bradd
    Tony Hateley
    John Cozens

Quote Originally Posted by Scanlon's Hatrick View Post
    Cant remember the exact year or the opponents but it was roughly 45 years ago.

A relative (RIP) took me.

Stood on the Kop and remember the old scoreboard with the old lettering system e.g. A - (look it up in the program) 0-2

Away fans standing next to you, scarves tied round wrists, flared trousers, Bay City Rollers haircuts.

Then moved to JS Stand, now sit in the DP Stand.

Best games that stick in my memory for various reasons:

Winning at Leeds away in the cup circa 1976
    Losing at Highbury in the cup 5-0 circa 1977
    Winning at Villa on opening day of the season
    The night game against Spurs when they had a man (men?) sent off
    Sheff Wed at home - hence my user name.
    Losing at home to Macclesfield in a night game - 0-5 I think
    Beating Bradford on the opening day of the season, Hughes and Malone scored I think
    Various Wembley playoffs

And here I am looking at going to Crewe, FGR, etc

Married with children now.
    I was there the day Ian Scanlon scored that hatrick! My dad took me to my first match. Would have been around 1968 but I have no idea who it was against.

I was taken to my first game in April 1962 by my dad, who was originally from Middlesbrough and supported Boro. Notts played Northampton and lost 1-4.

I can remember raising the subject of supporters’ bad language with my dad after the game, telling him I’d heard several of them using a bad word, but dad said he’d heard several different bad words. Clearly, at the age of 9, there was plenty I still had to learn.

We stood on the County Road side and I also remember going below to the concourse at half time and seeing numerous supporters having a pee outside the tiny toilet blocks, which were so small they couldn’t possibly accommodate the demands of even a fairly small crowd.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast