+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Who took you to your first Notts match?

Quote Originally Posted by centenarypie View Post
    My Dad, 21st March 1970 Notts V Hartlepool, 1-0 to Notts, Les Bradd diving header at Spion Kop end.
    Seems like yesterday.
    COYP
    My first game also. My dad took me and my twin brother. On my birthday last year my brother rang me from the ground on a pretext of picking up tickets and he met me there. With him was Les Bradd. My brother had arranged for a replica programme from the game which Les signed and presented to me. Absolutely priceless.
    It made up for the crappy Cadbury's Bournville bar he bought me as kids, when I spent 3 weeks pocket money on a tank that fired matchsticks for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    We stood on the County Road side and I also remember going below to the concourse at half time and seeing numerous supporters having a pee outside the tiny toilet blocks, which were so small they couldn’t possibly accommodate the demands of even a fairly small crowd.
    I also remember this. There was a steam (as in cloud) of piss under the Roadside every match at half-time. The ground was a mixture of coke (as in coal) and dust and it formed a hill under the stand which people stood on to take aim, upwards for modesty's sake, although that wasn't very wise in terms of the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Attachment 11216

Who took you to your first Notts match?

Here I am off to Meadow Lane with my Grandad. While I’m looking round to make sure the wheel hasn’t fallen off the wheelbarrow, Grandad’s got his eye on a young lady on her bicycle. I think that’s AH approaching in one of those newfangled automobiles.
    My grandad took me on a very cold December day in 1965 and we lost 2-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Is that the game where Les Bradd scored a diving header? I didn't even know you could do that before he did it. That game was better than ***, although obviously I wasn't aware of that that the time, also being 7.

This current team isn't even fit to wear their shirts, even though we finished just 5 points above re-election that year.
    Unfortunately the brain cells which recorded how the goals were scored have long since been obliterated. However Sir Les did score twice in that game so you may well be right. Seem to remember Eric Probert scoring a diving header in the magnificent comeback against the mighty Man U mid 70s when the United fans re-arranged the County Road stand after the 2-2 draw. Who can also forget the diving header on the half volley that Andy Gray scored against us for Everton in the FA cup mid 80s.

I think the win against Southend that year made us safe from re-election and boy what I will give if we end up in a similar position at the end of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by KintoreMagpie View Post
    Unfortunately the brain cells which recorded how the goals were scored have long since been obliterated. However Sir Les did score twice in that game so you may well be right.
    Never mind, we can all agree he is a club legend. There were some great goals in his collection.

The scrape with re-election was the previous year, I think, on goal average. But we wouldn't have been relegated, you had to be a serial offender for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    In the 50's I was living with my Grandma and Granddad my brother was living with my Uncle Jim (my mum was seriously ill, my dad had to work so my sister's stayed at home looking after mum)

Not sure when it was but Granddad took me and my brother on the bus into town and then on the trolley bus down towards Trent Bridge... He walked us round Meadow Lane and then across to the City Ground...When we got back to Trent Bridge he stopped us and asked if we wanted to go to the football which team would we choose...My brother said Forest I guess because Uncle Jim was a Forest fan and went to the games...I said Notts because I knew my dad and Granddad supported Notts...Next home game I went with Granddad for my first game, not sure who it was but that started my relationship with Notts and a Davenport beer at home beer crate to stand on in the Kop...
    You had a lucky escape there, Wedgie! Just think if your brother had gone to your Granddad's and you had gone to your Uncle Jim's, you could have ended up a regular at the City Ground. Or would you still have chosen Notts?

Would have been my dad, although my auntie, uncle, gran and cousin would have been there too. Would have been mid to late 70s can’t remember who against but I’m sure it was a 0-0 draw. Later I always remember it took us ages to get to our place as my uncle was a copper and he knew everyone or seemed to!
    Last edited by TedBovisPie; 08-12-2018 at 12:21 AM.

My dad and it was against Carlisle,(his team) and it was a Tuesday night match on a mild night towards the end of the season, I think it was 74 but wouldn't swear to it.
    We got in just before kick off on the terracing in the main stand. There was 9,000 or so and it was the first time I'd been in a crowd bigger than the school jumble sale. Absolutely loved it, everything about it, from the smell of tobacco and beer to the man in the Ivor Thirst scoreboard and Bovril at half time. A late night up on a school night, the pitch was bright green with the floodlights on and everything was absolutely perfect. Like all the other posters that first match is seared into the mind. It finished a draw, 2-2 I think but it could have been 1-1, no idea who scored for us but I was hooked.
    My dad still comes down now and again and with the hindsight of an adult I can't thank him enough for regularly giving up his Saturdays to watch terrible football at a club he didn't support, he always preferred Forest because of the style of football.

My dad took me to my first game in 1961 but I can’t remember who we played but George Smith was the goalkeeper. I was hooked especially as after each game we walked down London Road, mushy peas in Central market, wait at Huntingdon Road Bus Station for the Football Post and then a 25 bus back to sunny Carlton - happy days.

I’m sure I wouldn’t be on my own in saying this is quite possibly one of the best NCM threads for a while. Some fantastic stories reinforcing why we are ‘Pies … just wonderful.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast