+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who took you to your first Notts match?

Mine was with my dad on the County Road terracing, the start of the 1981/82 season in the old division one. I mainly spent my early years chasing the old Scotsman up and down the stand, the one that shouted “County Lottery” and sold those scratch cards that you never won on !
    I remember the smells, the banter from the crowds, the hustle and bustle standing on the terraces and the happiness from the fans when we scored.
    Also using the toilets under the stand was like going back a hundred years, it was dark, it stunk terrible, voices echoed and it compared to being down a pit, I couldn’t wait to finish and get back up on the terraces for some fresh air !

My brilliant Mum and my late (Hero) Dad to the Lane against Chesterfield 69/70. Think it was a 1-1 draw. I was hooked straight away. We had earlier been on the dark side to see F word v Man Ure with Charlton and Best but for me the Best was at Meadow Lane. Probably the best time to start supporting Notts County too. Mum and oldest sister Julie still go; Mum in her late 80's now...and we are still waiting for Dad's wall plate so he is there in name but he will always be there in spirit. Great times I will ever be grateful for. Pity I can't bring myself to go much and watch that bunch of wallies playing now. Been once this season and that was to take my boy to his first game. At least he saw a rare victory v Crewe.

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    My father first took me to Meadow Lane in, I believe 1954, but no recollection of the opponents. I do however remember some of the players. Gordon Bradley in goal, an outstanding half back called Gerry Carver, and two great forwards in Ron Wylie and Gordon Wills.
    I also remember the old tunnel leading to the Spion Kop with the old scoreboard and tea bar. The scoreboard was sponsored by Shipstones brewery, and on top in neon lights was a figure called "Ivor Thirst."
    Ever since reading this post I've been on the look out for a picture of the old Kop scoreboard. Found one at last!

Name:  Scoreboard.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  23.3 KB

My Dad took me October 1950 sat on his shoulders on the old Spion Kop I believe it was Brighton we played 2-2 draw Sewell & Johnstone scored 38000 in that day. Best thing my Dad did for me that day, he would turn in his grave if he could see where we find ourselves today.

Nice one, and there was that little list in the programme to say which letter was which match, usually the locals, Florest, Imps, Stags, Rams and one or two choice games. Always a cheer if Florest were losing. Did it get updated after half-time? I seem to think it was half-time scores only. And were the pathway sort of steps or just a cinder path? Can't remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    My father first took me to Meadow Lane in, I believe 1954, but no recollection of the opponents. I do however remember some of the players. Gordon Bradley in goal, an outstanding half back called Gerry Carver, and two great forwards in Ron Wylie and Gordon Wills.
    I also remember the old tunnel leading to the Spion Kop with the old scoreboard and tea bar. The scoreboard was sponsored by Shipstones brewery, and on top in neon lights was a figure called "Ivor Thirst."
    About the same time for me in the "kids pen" Ron Wylie was my hero(still around) and not forgetting Tommy Deans and his barrel chest ,boy could we do with him now, he took no prisoners.

My dad took me, March 1977 against Blackburn. The best bit of parenting he’s ever done, even if it did condemn me to a lifetime of footballing misery that could only be soundtracked by The Smiths. Stood on the Kop watching a virtuoso performance from Carl Bradshaw keep us out. That was the season we just missed out on promotion to the old First Division and F***** crept up when Bolton bottled it. My version of “Sliding Doors” sees us go up instead of the Redbacks.

First time I went with a mate (Jonathan Wilson, where are you now?) was against West Ham in October 1979, when we went on the Kop not realizing this was now for away fans only. A slightly panicked visit to a steward saw us quickly relocated to the Main Stand.

With my uncle 5th May 1979 v Stoke City in front of 21,579 we lost 1-0 Stoke got promoted that day and celebrated at Meadow Lane...

Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by chedozie View Post
    With my uncle 5th May 1979 v Stoke City in front of 21,579 we lost 1-0 Stoke got promoted that day and celebrated at Meadow Lane...

Some things never change.
    Wow Paul you went to you first game at 20 !!!

Ha ****in ha, hope you’re all good mate I’m almost looking forward to a Saturday this week!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast