+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldham

I would not be surprised if all of them made the first team as our illustrious leaders like to fill the first team with overhyped, underdeveloped below average boys to justify to themselves only that the academy is still working, well news flash it is not we are producing nowt but a conveyor belt of midgets who are clearly miles and miles away from what is needed for football league standard but never mind they look good with their tippy tippy football in the reserve leagues. One of the most laughable reasons for continuing with the current academy model from our board was “we won’t be able to play against the Liverpool, Man Utd and Man Cities of this world” if we downgraded, who gives a flying F..K most of these games take place in the working week when the hardworking fans have their nose to the grindstone, but never mind we can come and watch them getting their ars.s handed to them on a Saturday, gee thanks Mr Bowler a great deal for the fans.NOT !!

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I would not be surprised if all of them made the first team as our illustrious leaders like to fill the first team with overhyped, underdeveloped below average boys to justify to themselves only that the academy is still working, well news flash it is not we are producing nowt but a conveyor belt of midgets who are clearly miles and miles away from what is needed for football league standard but never mind they look good with their tippy tippy football in the reserve leagues. One of the most laughable reasons for continuing with the current academy model from our board was “we won’t be able to play against the Liverpool, Man Utd and Man Cities of this world” if we downgraded, who gives a flying F..K most of these games take place in the working week when the hardworking fans have their nose to the grindstone, but never mind we can come and watch them getting their ars.s handed to them on a Saturday, gee thanks Mr Bowler a great deal for the fans.NOT !!
    Not really one for a well thought out point are you?

I feel like we’ve been through this but.. Hassal is the issue not Bowler, if we didn’t have the youth team we wouldn’t have more budget. Even if it did it wouldn’t be enough to attract pros of a level to get us over 16th.

The youth set up is a godsend, if you want an example of what happens when a majority shareholder starts bleeding money and the youth team isn’t seen as an asset I’d like to point you to Stockport, Chester, York, Darlington, Wrexham, Scarborough and basically most other ex league clubs languishing in non league or out of business completely. The only down side is that it might mean he holds on longer.

No just straight to the point no point in skirting around the issue, just watch Brexit for an example of skirting around the issue. Academy needs downgrading before it puts us out of business and it will !

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    No just straight to the point no point in skirting around the issue, just watch Brexit for an example of skirting around the issue. Academy needs downgrading before it puts us out of business and it will !
    I would respectfully suggest that the Academy is actually keeping us in business rather than putting us out of business. Down grade it or scrap it and I can say with some confidence there would be no more money to bring in the type of player you cite as likely to elevate us above lower mid table. The players from the Academy in our first team are as inconsistent as you might expect with youngster particularly at the level we are playing at. Jones has disappointed by and large this season and Ainley has looked good in flashes. Kirk has been our most creative player in terms of goals and assists but he is not yet consistent. George Ray, who seems to be the butt of a lot of your criticism and yet has been evident when our defence has been at it's best this season, is a player who could possibly play a league higher and Ng and Pixie (both Academy players) will command a fee in the next couple of years. The manager has done very well in convincing these players to extend their contracts which is protecting our investment and should be credited as such/

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I would respectfully suggest that the Academy is actually keeping us in business rather than putting us out of business. Down grade it or scrap it and I can say with some confidence there would be no more money to bring in the type of player you cite as likely to elevate us above lower mid table. The players from the Academy in our first team are as inconsistent as you might expect with youngster particularly at the level we are playing at. Jones has disappointed by and large this season and Ainley has looked good in flashes. Kirk has been our most creative player in terms of goals and assists but he is not yet consistent. George Ray, who seems to be the butt of a lot of your criticism and yet has been evident when our defence has been at it's best this season, is a player who could possibly play a league higher and Ng and Pixie (both Academy players) will command a fee in the next couple of years. The manager has done very well in convincing these players to extend their contracts which is protecting our investment and should be credited as such/
    Two things..

How come Bury and Accrington plus many others our size and less able to pay their players like Maynard more than we can? They don't have academies and some clubs have seen the light that the PL and the Championship doesn't need to sign untried youth players from L1 and L2 especially when they have dozens of their own, most who even so don't make the grade? ie the world of football has moved on and our board is stuck in a time warp.

Secondly, The National league and L2 is of a similar standard nowadays and when Tranmere played Wrexham last season over 8000 fans turned up, when we had a job to get in 6000 when we played Port Vale!

760,000 pounds a year on the academy MUST mean we starve the first team of funds and we have to play academy graduates no matter how bad they are.

I see Dave Richards has shown the forwards where the onion bag is today, get him upfront on Saturday.

The academy is the only option to people lacking imagination. losing £500000 a year a watching abject football is a great business model, have a word with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Two things..

How come Bury and Accrington plus many others our size and less able to pay their players like Maynard more than we can? They don't have academies and some clubs have seen the light that the PL and the Championship doesn't need to sign untried youth players from L1 and L2 especially when they have dozens of their own, most who even so don't make the grade? ie the world of football has moved on and our board is stuck in a time warp.

Secondly, The National league and L2 is of a similar standard nowadays and when Tranmere played Wrexham last season over 8000 fans turned up, when we had a job to get in 6000 when we played Port Vale!

760,000 pounds a year on the academy MUST mean we starve the first team of funds and we have to play academy graduates no matter how bad they are.
    Re Bury, they are really pushing to get their academy off the ground, it is cat 3 now but they are trying to improve facilities to make it cat. 2 so they think it is worthwhile. Their accounts in 2017 show they made a loss of £2.8 million (can't find 2018). It would seem they have someone who is prepared to cover these debts, whilst we have someone who takes it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Let’s have look at the academy players in the first team who the club hope will make them a few quid

Might as well start with my main target of criticism

George Ray ( will leave on a free) injury prone mistake ridden will who an earth would part with any cash for him.
    Perry NG could see him moving on for a small fee probably £100,000 to £150,000
    Harry Pickering should also command a small fee in a couple of years
    James Jones gone backwards since his injury when championship team Preston made an offer in the region of £300,000 for him which was rejected. Can’t see any offers for him anywhere near that currently so as £300000 not deemed his value then nothing coming for him.
    Ryan Wintle does not look like he will attract any offers just not good enough to play at a higher level.
    Tom Lowery released on a free
    Oliver Finney released on a free
    Owen Dale released on a free
    Charlie Kirk inconsistent talent with consistency can see a small transfer fee being received
    Callum Ainley as above

No real money spinners but this is just my humble opinion let’s see what happens.

I think thats a fair assumption for the players as they are now, but no ones just about to leave. In a season and a half these could be very saleable assets.

Pickering is looking like a solid left back who's comfortable on the ball and can deliver a set piece, another season and a half of development plus a bit of consistency and he could be a championship player.

Ainley and Kirk - both of these are creative players who score and create goals, neither of them are lacking in size (even if they could do with filling out a bit) and Ainleys fast. If they can add consistency to their game you're talking £500,000 each minimum.

Ng, if he was 3 inches taller he'd already be in the championship, as it is he's a competent centre back, very comfortable on the ball and a good passer. Bit more experience and he'll be fine. Maybe £300,000.

If Jones can regain his drive and aggression he's easily a £300,000 player.

I don't know why people presume that the academy cost is something that we'd just be given if we cut the category, thats not how it works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast