+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ross MacLean?

Ross MacLean?

It seems like Falkirk are interested in taking Ross MacLean off our hands in a permanent deal. He never really nailed down a spot in our first 11. Currently on loan at Cappielow, a modest fee should secure his services you'd think.

I’d keep anyone from the u21 squad playing or loaned out and jettison Rose, Sammon, Donnelly, Frear, Bowman, McHugh as quickly as possible. After watching u21 play Ross Cnty I was impressed with majority and style of play. I say get them in squad to compliment those already playing (Campbell, Turnbull and Cadden) and play or bench to prepare for next season.

I always thought it odd MacLean didn't get more of a chance last season when our squad was absolutely gutted with injury.

It seems clear, however, that Robinson just doesn't think he's kicked on to the level required - and while you do get some late developers, at 20-21 if he's not obviously good enough for our 18, he's probably better moving somewhere else and hoping to build his career slowly a la Craigan/Lawless.

I can hardly remember a youth player we've freed going on to prove us really wrong, I'd be pretty surprised if MacLean breaks that trend.

Yet we continue to play phuds when perhaps could be blooding young talent before become disillusioned and move on. Some of the players Robinson has brought in, never to feature and too many to mention, a disgrace. He has squandered away salaries on meaningless acquisitions and we remain rooted bottom 6 again . Forget last season, it's history and look forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid View Post
    Yet we continue to play phuds when perhaps could be blooding young talent before become disillusioned and move on. Some of the players Robinson has brought in, never to feature and too many to mention, a disgrace. He has squandered away salaries on meaningless acquisitions and we remain rooted bottom 6 again . Forget last season, it's history and look forward.
    Aye, I don't think anyone would disagree Robinson had a 'mare last transfer window and you'd certainly hope that our cup winning youth team from 2016 would have at least been able to fill a few gaps rather than jobbing pros who cost more money. But as Livingstone showed on Wednesday, as plenty of others have done before him, the step up from talented youth to even being solid senior player is very difficult.

And ultimately, especially at a club like ours, if you're good enough you force the manager to give you a chance. I don't think there's been a single talent we've failed to blood that's become disillusioned, moved on and really proved us wrong in the last 25 years.

A fair summary there HD. I heard a cuppla months back Craggs 'had it out' with young Livingstone. Similar to the Luke Shaw situation at Man U 18 months back - questions over whether he was applying the graft to accompany the undoubted talent. Could be bollox, but then again ...

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    A fair summary there HD. I heard a cuppla months back Craggs 'had it out' with young Livingstone. Similar to the Luke Shaw situation at Man U 18 months back - questions over whether he was applying the graft to accompany the undoubted talent. Could be bollox, but then again ...
    Interesting. There's no excuse for not being fit enough given the sports science knowledge these days and the awareness of players/coaches - plenty of whom are clearly in our youth system - of the importance of hitting the gym.

You could excuse a 16 or even 17 year old for not being strong or fit enough for 90 minutes but by 18/19 that's becoming weak. Livingstone is 20 - if he's not up to it there's an underlying problem somewhere.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)