Cauley Woodrow says his partnership with Kieffer Moore is shaping up to be the best of his career so far.

Woodrow turned 24 on Sunday, the day after he netted twice in the 4-2 FA Cup win at his former club Southend United to move onto five goals in his last five games. Moore, who also struck in that match, has 13 for the season.

Woodrow said: “It’s got the makings of the best partnership I have had so far. I enjoy playing with Kieffer. We sit on the bus together, we have a good relationship and that comes out on the pitch.

“Sometimes it is difficult to play off each other but we find each other quite well and we’re both scoring at the moment so we must be doing something right. Some partnerships can take a long while to work but I think we have got up to speed with it very quickly.”

Woodrow signed from Fulham in August on a loan deal with a permanent move agreed for next month’s transfer window. But he was then injured in his first training session and missed the next two months. After netting five goals in six starts and two substitute appearances, he believes he will get even better once he is fully match fit.

“I have only played 45 minutes or 60 minutes here and there so I am a little bit off fitness-wise and behind the rest of the lads. So hopefully there is a lot more to come from me once I play more.

“After a difficult start and people giving me stick on Twitter, I have got my fitness better quickly and got a few goals. It was difficult. When you go to a new club, you want to show what you can do but I was sitting in the gym for ten weeks.”

Former England under 21 player Woodrow – who now has five in six after missing a penalty in the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday – is pleased with Barnsley’s attacking form but wants to return to getting clean sheets after the Reds conceded nine goals in three games.

He said: “We are scoring a lot of goals but we need to tighten up a little bit at the other end as a team.”