Jacob Brown has the opportunity to force his way into the Barnsley team at right-back on a long-term basis with Dimitri Cavare suspended.

Cavare picked up his fifth yellow card of the season at Sunderland in the last league game so will miss the trip to Wycombe Wanderers.

Brown, who is being converted from striker to right-back under head coach Daniel Stendel, impressed in defence in the FA Cup win at Southend on Saturday while the other option is 19-year-old Jordan Williams. Brown said: “With Dimi suspended there is an opportunity for whoever plays.

“In the first few weeks of pre-season the gaffer put me at right-back a few times in training and I was a bit confused. I checked with him to make sure he knew I was a striker. But it was where he wanted me to play. I have taken to it. I was a bit nervous at Southend but having Ethan (Pinnock) and Liam (Lindsay) and Davo (Adam Davies) near me helped a lot.

“I want to go forward as much as I can but also do my part defensively. I would love it if I made it as a right-back or striker or any other position.”

Wycombe’s right-back is Jason McCarthy who Brown trained with through pre-season before he moved to the Wanderers in August. Brown said: “I learned a bit from him in the summer.
“He’s a good player, very athletic and I think I am athletic as well.”

Barnsley have conceded nine goals in their last three matches. Brown said: “You can’t just blame the back four or the ‘keeper. The way we press, it is the whole team. It just needs tightening up all round. I don’t think it’s difficult to fix.”

Brown has played 18 matches for the Reds, eight from the start and ten off the bench.
His only goals came in consecutive games against Fleetwood Town and Peterborough United two months ago.