+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nice story

Nice story

john Murphy and his partner Maxine have decided to give away Arbuckles, the diner business they have taken more than a decade to build on the outskirts of Downham Market.

And to the staff who will receive the gift – valued at some £7.5m – it’s a lucky break which could be worth a life-changing amount of money.

The decision, which has been more than a year in the preparation, was finally revealed to the 130-strong workforce at a staff meeting at the Downham Market restaurant on Monday morning.
    Mr Murphy told them the deal had been signed on Friday, meaning they had been business owners for the last three days without knowing it.

Mrs Murphy said: “What a great feeling it is to own your own business. I’m so proud of you, I’m so pleased for you.”

Afterwards, many staff were overcome by the news. Bar manager Andy Lucraft-Townley said: “I’m delighted for John and Maxine that they’re moving into retirement and it’s great they’ve bestowed the business on the staff who have become like their own family.”

Supervisor Gemma Jacklin, 31, who has been with the business for two years, said: “I’m absolutely shocked, it’s very exciting.”
Waitress Elaine Bowles said: “It’s really exciting, it’s a good opportunity, it really makes you proud to be working here.”
Fellow waitress Claire Dennis said: “It’s not just a job any more.”
Earlier, Mr Murphy said he and his partner had been looking for a way in which they could take a step back from the business, protect its future and reward their staff.
    The parents of Premier League footballing twins Josh and Jacob Murphy have scored a dream goal for staff, by giving away a £7.5m restaurant business to the workers who made it a success.

Up until the last line, I was wondering wtf is he on about

Aye, nice story. They sound like two very good people....and there are enough stories about all the cuntish things going on in the world to make this a very worthwhile post.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Up until the last line, I was wondering wtf is he on about

Aye, nice story. They sound like two very good people....and there are enough stories about all the cuntish things going on in the world to make this a very worthwhile post.

Aye ah thought it was a very long Oirish joke,till the last line...

Nice little town Downham Market is....

I really thought this was going to be some sort of joke as well

Nice story though, shows despites the ****e good things happen and we shouldn't forget that.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)