+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mansfield stewards and policing today

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Wasn't there yesterday so I'll leave others to judge, but no doubt stewards and the police will have been told to take a zero tolerance approach, bearing in mind the incidents a couple of years ago when a bunch of imposters turned up pretending to be fans and caused all sorts of trouble.

In all my time following Notts County away, the only time I've genuinely seen stewards overreact was at Bolton's old Burnden Park ground, where I saw a steward attack a Notts fan without any provocation.

I've seen various other clashes, and every time there have been a group of Notts "fans" claiming their innocence, but in every case they've actually been acting in a provocative manner to the point where officials had no choice but to intervene. Ninety-nine times out a hundred its a minority of so-called supporters going out looking for confrontation, and as far as I'm concerned you can ban every last single one of them.
    It is usually the same ones causing the trouble and I have to say some of them look the older than me so they should know better. I have never seen the younger lads or the so called 'burberry brigade ' cause any trouble at all. I remember being at Stevenage a few years ago and they showed great restraint in the face of extreme provocation. Perhaps they could show the 'ode uns' how to behave.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Ninety-nine times out a hundred its a minority of so-called supporters going out looking for confrontation, and as far as I'm concerned you can ban every last single one of them.
    Well I must be the one time out of a hundred then, because in 1998 they couldn't cope with the size of the away following. I was with my children and we had been swimming at Watermeadows, not the pub. We arrived and there was a big queue for the adults and no queue for the children at a turnstile that also allowed adult admission.

They didn't let me use that or, bizarrely, let them queue with me for the adult turnstile. They could not have been more unhelpful. Then a women steward said to let them in the chidlren's gate they would make sure they were alright until I got in. When I did finally get in, they weren't there but I saw them outside because they had been scared inside the ground, and they had let them back out again without telling me.

I don't call that good stewarding but you might know better and say that was my fault, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Well I must be the one time out of a hundred then, because in 1998 they couldn't cope with the size of the away following. I was with my children and we had been swimming at Watermeadows, not the pub. We arrived and there was a big queue for the adults and no queue for the children at a turnstile that also allowed adult admission.

They didn't let me use that or, bizarrely, let them queue with me for the adult turnstile. They could not have been more unhelpful. Then a women steward said to let them in the chidlren's gate they would make sure they were alright until I got in. When I did finally get in, they weren't there but I saw them outside because they had been scared inside the ground, and they had let them back out again without telling me.

I don't call that good stewarding but you might know better and say that was my fault, no doubt.
    Not at all, it sounds like the stewards in that case were idiots, and you did absolutely nothing wrong. If we're broadening the conversation to say stewards are not always good at organising the general matchday experience and using common sense, then I can think of various examples I've seen of such cases.

My point above relates to what I'd call direct conflict situations where you have a fan or a group of fans behaving in an overtly aggressive manner, and then complaining of heavy-handedness when the stewards or police intervene. I've only seen one case (as explained above at Burnden Park) where I thought the complainants had a fair case. In all the other conflict incidents I've seen, the so-called fans were looking for trouble, either goading opposition fans or directly provoking the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    As normal it was absolutely shocking..
    I can understand they have a job to do
    However
    Today was just pathetic and over the top.
    I hope when they return to meadow lane they’re given the same treatment..
    Those that were in attendance will know how over the top once again they were in the treatment of some supporters..
    I can see why many stay away from this game which is a shame...
    Poor form from the stewards and police

You seriously aren't blaming your numbers today on the stewards? " Well Arthur I'm not going there again because those stewards are deliberately hell bent on ruining my day!!" "I'll stay at home and keep safe".

People stood at the side of the stewards and police all afternoon, no bother, despite the half dozen or so complete bellcaps who continually shouted abuse, arms outstretched , a cheery Nescafé wave or two on show. When eventually one was removed after coming to the corner again, the seven or eight come running down the stairs like children, mobbing around the stewards taking him out......not one of them, not one, had any intention of doing anything more than shouting , and staging a mock 'rescue' of their friend...it was embarrassing. Meanwhile the hundreds of other Notts fans had, apart from the result, a trouble free afternoon.
    These few let down the vast majority, again. I work with several County fans good blokes, my dad even played for you, so I have no axe to grind at all here.
    We like any other club have our own clowns, so I'm not being biased.

I have done 90 odd grounds with Notts & since the bad days of early 70s until mid 80s I have always found that if you are ok with Police & Stewards they are fair with you,some grounds (Stags being one) you know that they can be strict so you take more care don't you?I haven't bothered making the trip the last few seasons but I have probably attended 8/9 games at "Field Mill" in the past & the majority of problems within the ground have been caused by drunken Notts fans rather than Stewards (sorry I still haven't forgiven our "fans" for wrecking the bogs when I was bursting a couple of years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I have done 90 odd grounds with Notts & since the bad days of early 70s until mid 80s I have always found that if you are ok with Police & Stewards they are fair with you,some grounds (Stags being one) you know that they can be strict so you take more care don't you?I haven't bothered making the trip the last few seasons but I have probably attended 8/9 games at "Field Mill" in the past & the majority of problems within the ground have been caused by drunken Notts fans rather than Stewards (sorry I still haven't forgiven our "fans" for wrecking the bogs when I was bursting a couple of years ago)
    The bogs were pretty bad when I went last time, but not because we wrecked them. I have been to nearly as many grounds, 70 maybe, and Mansfield as often as you, and I would not put most problems down to drunken Notts fans. On the whole, our behaviour has been good and most fans have just gone to watch the match.

I don't know why some of our fans are so keen to put down their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockwood View Post
    You seriously aren't blaming your numbers today on the stewards? " Well Arthur I'm not going there again because those stewards are deliberately hell bent on ruining my day!!" "I'll stay at home and keep safe".

People stood at the side of the stewards and police all afternoon, no bother, despite the half dozen or so complete bellcaps who continually shouted abuse, arms outstretched , a cheery Nescafé wave or two on show. When eventually one was removed after coming to the corner again, the seven or eight come running down the stairs like children, mobbing around the stewards taking him out......not one of them, not one, had any intention of doing anything more than shouting , and staging a mock 'rescue' of their friend...it was embarrassing. Meanwhile the hundreds of other Notts fans had, apart from the result, a trouble free afternoon.
    These few let down the vast majority, again. I work with several County fans good blokes, my dad even played for you, so I have no axe to grind at all here.
    We like any other club have our own clowns, so I'm not being biased.
    Who is yer dad mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    The bogs were pretty bad when I went last time, but not because we wrecked them. I have been to nearly as many grounds, 70 maybe, and Mansfield as often as you, and I would not put most problems down to drunken Notts fans. On the whole, our behaviour has been good and most fans have just gone to watch the match.

I don't know why some of our fans are so keen to put down their own.
    The vast majority of Notts fans are great & a pleasure to travel with (even the drunken ones) but like most clubs we have our share of idiots & certainly of what I have seen it is these who tend to have problems with Police & Stewards, if this is me being keen to "put down my own" then so be it.

Well the article was in the Sun, so it must be true....
    If you see the photograph on facebook of this incident you will see a lady on a mobility scooter in the background who isn't the slightest bit perturbed by what's happening, so it was hardly the Handsworth riots...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    Well the article was in the Sun, so it must be true....
    If you see the photograph on facebook of this incident you will see a lady on a mobility scooter in the background who isn't the slightest bit perturbed by what's happening, so it was hardly the Handsworth riots...
    But if it was in the Guardian . The Sun in not a newspaper I read but don't treat people who do like their idiots by using stupid emjois .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast