+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand and Ball

Hand and Ball

Personally I think there is a distinct difference between handball and the ball hitting the hand. One entails intent to obtain an unfair advantage, the other is an accident. Like many I have seen the incident many times and read and heard Jay’s atermatch comments. Personally I do not think there was any intent but I accept others might disagree. He admitted that the ball hit his hand and not that he handled the ball. Yet I have heard and seen a lot of people saying that he has admitted handball. As far as I am aware he has said no such thing and it is irresponsible to twist the matter like this.

It’s an interesting dilemma Q buddy. I’m no expert, but understand that in addition to the “deliberate or not” question, there is an aspect relating to whether the players hand was in an ‘unnatural’ position ? That interpretation clearly down to the referee and assistants. Very subjective.

Refs take the easy option nowadays and give the foul even if the ball is drilled from a few yards onto the arm/hand. The rule is it's handball if deliberate. Commentators & punters on TV talk crap then others follow.
    I don't think, in fact I'm sure, Rodders didn't mean to handle it.

As I have stated before, the hand did strike the ball but in no way was it intentional. He put his hand to the ground to break his fall and in that motion, the ball struck it. If you read the FA rule on handball, for a free kick to be awarded it has to intentional. It wasn't and therefore the goal should have stood.

Rod is an honest chap. Decent guy, but anyone in his position in extra time at home scoring an equalizer in front of the Brummie end would have found it nigh impossible to tell the ref at the moment it happened. Could have happened to us and we would have had to just take it.

I seem to remember that earlier in the season we lost at Boro to an injury time goal, which was a handball by Ayala before he ‘scored’. We didn’t beat Brentford because, at the end, they scored from a foul throw. Fortunately, this time, the poor decision went our way.

This handball situation has gone on for too long in football.

The answer is simple,ANY contact between hand and ball should be given as a foul without exception.

In hockey ANY contact between ball and foot is treated as a foul.

It’s a problem easily solved.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    This handball situation has gone on for too long in football.

The answer is simple,ANY contact between hand and ball should be given as a foul without exception.

In hockey ANY contact between ball and foot is treated as a foul.

It’s a problem easily solved.
    Said this for many years and have been shouted down on Many occasions over it but I'm in complete agreement with you mickd.give em all and no arguments then,end of

You will have players deliberately aiming at oppositions arms & hands to gain a free kick. Doesn't work for me Mick & 53.
    Would the upper arm count? How about the shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    You will have players deliberately aiming at oppositions arms & hands to gain a free kick. Doesn't work for me Mick & 53.
    Would the upper arm count? How about the shoulder?
    It would solve the problem if they wore strait jackets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)