+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 145 games

145 games

since we had an opponent sent off against us.

And people say things even out over time? Fok off, man. This table is the last five seasons but the last player sent off against is is six seasons ago, And then you look at some of the refereeing decisions against us over the last few years...then try to tell me there's not a rabbit off somewhere.

Interesting... and no surprise! I became a slightly bigger fan of VAR today.

And Zip, I also saw some plonkers on SoMe that said it evens out over time... Well now you and science have just proven them wrong.

Rafa was understandably furious today.

I've not seen Rafa that angry in a press conference for a long time - and rightly so. Was terrible decision to not send Boley off, even the Wolves pundit said he should of gone and it should of been a penalty.

It's a ****ing joke that we don't get decisions like that going our way, yet i'm not surprised anymore. Must be something in Ref's guide book that says "**** Newcastle as hard as you can, don't worry we'll always say you were right".

I don't believe they put a man on the moon and 9/11 was an inside job .. But I don't believe every ref in our last 145 games is biased against us and hates Newcastle .
    Wimbledon went 167.. It's just a stat.
    Remarkable but just a stat.

I don't think anybody is saying every ref is biased against us, some have very good games.

But we do get a lot of decisions against us in regards players being sent off. I know it's said it evens itself out but it clearly doesn't.

It's over half a decade now since we played against 10 men.

In regards to the Wimbledon stat - hopefully i'm jinxing it but i think we'll beat that record personally.

I actually think there is a case to be made for refs behaving differently when they're up here. I think that they come determined not to be seen to be cowed by a big crowd. I think we've got a reputation for giving refs a hard time and they, in turn, have the attitude that they're determined not to respond to that-or bow to it- which leads to them favouring the opposition. I'm sure this is on a largely subconscious level and maybe it's only by fine margins, but...we all know how matches can be decided on fine margins.

The problem is that a couple of poor decisions against us early in the game leads to the crowd getting on the ref's back and then the whole situation just becomes a cycle where the ref tries to prove he isn't intimidated, leading to further unjust decisions leading to further abuse, etc, etc.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, generally-we did land on the Moon and 9/11 was an atrocity perpetrated by Islamic terrorist scum, pure and simple-but I genuinely believe that refs come up here determined to show their assessor that a big crowd won't turn them into a homer and in doing so they go too far the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I actually think there is a case to be made for refs behaving differently when they're up here. I think that they come determined not to be seen to be cowed by a big crowd. I think we've got a reputation for giving refs a hard time and they, in turn, have the attitude that they're determined not to respond to that-or bow to it- which leads to them favouring the opposition. I'm sure this is on a largely subconscious level and maybe it's only by fine margins, but...we all know how matches can be decided on fine margins.

The problem is that a couple of poor decisions against us early in the game leads to the crowd getting on the ref's back and then the whole situation just becomes a cycle where the ref tries to prove he isn't intimidated, leading to further unjust decisions leading to further abuse, etc, etc.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, generally-we did land on the Moon and 9/11 was an atrocity perpetrated by Islamic terrorist scum, pure and simple-but I genuinely believe that refs come up here determined to show their assessor that a big crowd won't turn them into a homer and in doing so they go too far the other way.
    sounds like it could be right

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    since we had an opponent sent off against us.

And people say things even out over time? Fok off, man. This table is the last five seasons but the last player sent off against is is six seasons ago, And then you look at some of the refereeing decisions against us over the last few years...then try to tell me there's not a rabbit off somewhere.

you just need to look at the teams who have played the same number of games as us to see a major disparity.

the only other teams with a low number showing, are those that haven't played many games in the premiership

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    sounds like it could be right
    It's also noticable that the six clubs with the lowest number of sendings off against them are what you PRESENTLY might call the less significant clubs in this division.

Cardiff
    Wolves
    Brighton
    Huddersfield
    Fulham
    Newcastle United

Certainly none of your glamour lads anywhere near this end.

I think the true imbalance is shown when you see how many players we have had sent off in the same time. I would wager most of these other teams numbers would be quite close. I dont have those stats. But. The toon (according to Mathew Raisbeck-radio newcastle commentator) have had EIGH**** off in that time.

Bradley Johnson, the last player sent off against us (in a prem game) actually had his red card rescinded. He also managed to get sent off with Loic Remy (who then missed the derby the following week as his wasn't rescinded) so even the last player sent off against us didnt give us a numerical advantage.

Long ago, we beat stoke 5-1 on boxing day. We got 2 pens that day and they had 2 players sent off.

It seems decisions have been "evening themselves out" ever since.
    Last edited by waalsendmick; 11-12-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)