+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The owner said I’d manage England: then he sacked me …

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Kevin Nolan:
    “ After Coventry, they told us how they wanted to bring the average age down, bring through youngsters so we had more saleable assets,”
    This is the bit that sticks out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    This is the bit that sticks out for me.
    I wonder if AH got carried away with what Southgate was doing and thought he could do the same at Notts, not realising England fell short when we met any half decent and Southgate is on a long term project and not tied to players on contract.

If so more the fool KN for going along with it.

Interesting. To be honest, I thought AH made the decision too early. Now I'm left wondering if he could have turned it around. Obviously this interview is very one-sided. It doesn't explain our poor form after Christmas, our diabolical recruitment over the summer, or the lack of fitness the squad has shown so far this season. It seems like KN took his eye off the ball somewhat.

But one thing is clear: he had a great relationship with the players. For that reason alone, I think he deserved more time to turn it around. I would have given him 10 or 15 games to pick up some points - 5 was too few by far.

AH is largely to blame as well. Replacing someone the players love with an arrogant man like Kewell was never going to work. Never. But he feel for it anyway. And despite not wanting to become a club that sacks players, he has gone down that route anyway.

Makes me wonder: where would we be now if Nolan had stuck around? My guess is we'd have more points than we have now, and Hardy would certainly have more money.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Interesting. To be honest, I thought AH made the decision too early. Now I'm left wondering if he could have turned it around. Obviously this interview is very one-sided. It doesn't explain our poor form after Christmas, our diabolical recruitment over the summer, or the lack of fitness the squad has shown so far this season. It seems like KN took his eye off the ball somewhat.

But one thing is clear: he had a great relationship with the players. For that reason alone, I think he deserved more time to turn it around. I would have given him 10 or 15 games to pick up some points - 5 was too few by far.

AH is largely to blame as well. Replacing someone the players love with an arrogant man like Kewell was never going to work. Never. But he feel for it anyway. And despite not wanting to become a club that sacks players, he has gone down that route anyway.

Makes me wonder: where would we be now if Nolan had stuck around? My guess is we'd have more points than we have now, and Hardy would certainly have more money.
    All this talk about diabolical recruitment ..... some of what he did was really good and I wouldn't fault him for that part - let's face it, we were calling out for an attacking winger and some forwards who could score and we got it. His big problem was not bringing in a central defender (I think we only needed one) and a ball-winning midfielder (or keeping O'Connor). Yet again we went for quantity - oh when will we learn!

As painful as the style of play was to watch..it was always horses for courses with Nolan. At one time I thought the guy was a one trick pony..the last January transfer window changed my mind..a disaster in most eyes..unfortunate in mine.

The summer was more down to us fans rather than the management. Most of us were guilty of criticising the style of play..leading to a new approach..which needed time and another window in my opinion.

Our snobbery and impatience is as much responsible for this predicament as AH’s naivety for taking notice.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH View Post
    Our snobbery and impatience is as much responsible for this predicament as SHOWN’s naivety for taking notice.
    I really can't go along with that and it is not reflective of most posts that were being made here but it does picture AH correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH View Post
    The summer was more down to us fans rather than the management. Most of us were guilty of criticising the style of play..leading to a new approach..which needed time and another window in my opinion.

Our snobbery and impatience is as much responsible for this predicament as AH’s naivety for taking notice.
    Notts fans are useless. It's all our fault, we should get the sack.

Actually, it was the lack of wins during 2018 that bothered people, not the style of play, although the two things might be connected. And Hardy apparently urged Nolan to build a younger squad of saleable 'assets'. That is a business decision and not the responsibility of fans in any way, shape or form.

Most on this board were pleased we did business early and were impressed with the players brought in, as were the bookies, that's why we were favourites to go up. Now all of a sudden Nolans recruitment was poor. Most on here thought we were in for a good season, now two managers in the blame game starts.

Does not mention his love for the bottle does he?.

I think that was true of the forwards but most also said we lacked, and we still do, a proper ball winning midfielder and a decent centre back or 2. I do think we have been unlucky with Ben Hall’s injury.... but to not get a midfield general has killed us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast