+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The owner said I’d manage England: then he sacked me …

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    The trick is, believe what your own eyes tell you and not other people. In pre season, I was telling anyone who would listen that we were shipping goals for fun and the defence looked awful. Most people I spoke to put it down as the team not having enough time to gel and other such silly excuses. You could see something was badly wrong, even then. As you say, every manager has a fresh start at the beginning of a new season. Nolan Failed miserably, got sacked, end of.
    Absolutely correct about pre season! Hence why I had a bet on relegation after the Derby game. I got a nice 25/1 so I'm going to have a sweet grand if we do go down! It was obvious what was happening, end of last year you could see it, we had no battle in the centre, when we lost O'Connor that for me was the warning siren going off. We never replaced him or Yates and if we fail to do so in January, we are almost certainly down.

I'll also say it again, we don't have a decent keeper as well. Nolan claims that he "had" to get rid of Collin, I suspect he was told he can have all his signings or keep Collin. The fact he never replaced Collin either said to me that Nolan didn't know what he was doing. For all Collin's faults, he was twice the keeper Fitzsimons is and those two areas are in my opinion why the defence that was decent last year is so weak this year

Anyway i quiet like Neil Ardley

I think Notts County should stick with him for 2 or 3 seasons no matter what

Just cant understand how if they sack him in a few months, Notts County will be any better of

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Absolutely correct about pre season! Hence why I had a bet on relegation after the Derby game. I got a nice 25/1 so I'm going to have a sweet grand if we do go down! It was obvious what was happening, end of last year you could see it, we had no battle in the centre, when we lost O'Connor that for me was the warning siren going off. We never replaced him or Yates and if we fail to do so in January, we are almost certainly down.

I'll also say it again, we don't have a decent keeper as well. Nolan claims that he "had" to get rid of Collin, I suspect he was told he can have all his signings or keep Collin. The fact he never replaced Collin either said to me that Nolan didn't know what he was doing. For all Collin's faults, he was twice the keeper Fitzsimons is and those two areas are in opinion why the defence that was decent last year is so weak this year
    Collin certainly had a lot more experience than fitzsimmons .

I do not think Fitzsimmons had any football league experience before he came to notts county, the way things are going he will be returning to non league where he belongs

Not sure about O conner , i agree he seems the type we need. But how many games did he play for Notts last season, seems we managed pretty well without him for long spells last year, Perhaps that is why he did not seem to important for the management

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Just cant understand how if they sack him in a few months, Notts County will be any better of
    Don't dwell on it Davy, only you have brought it up

Collin certainly had a lot more experience than fitzsimmons .

I do not think Fitzsimmons had any football league experience before he came to notts county, the way things are going he will be returning to non league where he belongs

Not sure about O conner , i agree he seems the type we need. But how many games did he play for Notts last season, seems we managed pretty well without him for long spells last year, Perhaps that is why he did not seem to important for the management
    The second part of the season where we dropped away after losing Yates and O'Connor wasn't playing should have indicated to Nolan what we needed. And when O'Connor came on in the second half of the home playoff game and basically changed the momentum of the game. Sure there was concerns over his fitness but to not have a ready replacement was diabolical

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Based on what? We were conceding 3+ goals a game and hadn't won in 9 league games under Nolan when he was sacked, the "5 games" is complete nonsense, you don't start completely fresh as soon as the first game of the season kicks off. (We were also comprehensively beaten in 3 out of our 4 pre season friendlies)

Care to work out what their win rates were for Notts County this season? I'll give you a clue, Nolans was 0% with just a point to his name and Kewell got us 13 of our current 19 points from his games in charge.

Also, the chairman quite clearly backed Nolan in the summer and look where we've ended up, look at the squad he built with that money, a manager hasn't been backed that well financially in League 2 since McParland was given a blank chequebook and even that clown managed to do a much better job than Nolan.

We have 12 more points than we did when he was here and we're not currently having to watch Richard Duffy try and play football. There's two benefits already.
    You can add to that AH's statement about asking Nolan, in that transfer shambles, if he needed more defenders and Nolan saying he was happy with what he'd got - get that? - HAPPY!

What about Nolan being robbed by officials versus Coventry
    Officials versus Coventry? I must have missed that one - who won?

What about Nolan being robbed by officials versus Coventry
    I knew that would be the only thing you could respond to in that post

Let's ignore the MK Don's game and Kewell still managed 13 of our 19 points, should we have stuck with him through the bad times (that actually consisted of 3 losses and back to back draws) or do you think we should only stick with managers you like?

Nolan was the best manager he already proved that guiding us from relegation , then getting us to the play offs when the chairman would not back him last January

swindled in the play offs, and then the chairman wanted to change the style of play, and sacked him after 5 games

and why would he need defenders when it was the 3rd best last season

The club could pay a heavy price for sacking Nolan, none of following managers have shown there any better

All argumentitives come back when we are in league 1, cause only then will they be better than Nolan, but we all know its not going to happen in the foreseeable future

so all kewell supporters ... off

Nolan was the best manager he already proved that guiding us from relegation , then getting us to the play offs when the chairman would not back him last January

swindled in the play offs, and then the chairman wanted to change the style of play, and sacked him after 5 games

and why would he need defenders when it was the 3rd best last season

The club could pay a heavy price for sacking Nolan, none of following managers have shown there any better

All argumentitives come back when we are in league 1, cause only then will they be better than Nolan, but we all know its not going to happen in the foreseeable future

so all kewell supporters ... off
    Good heavens Davy, you are allowed to have a different opinion from other people, no need to get defensive about it. Others agree with you. It's fine! Save the digs for the opposition not our own

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast