+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Raheem got a point?

Has Raheem got a point?

'Pound' Sterling (as I call him) gets a rough ride on Notts Mad especially when he plays the race card but it would appear that this time he has a point, having been called a black canute at Chelsea (according to press stories).
    Is the dislike of Sterling nothing to do with being black but down to his underwhelming England performances? Or the inflated money he 'earns'? (Remember the machine gun tattoo?)
    I also see that throwing banana skins on the pitch is back in fashion at certain venues.
    Stan Collymore has spoken up strongly in Sterling's defence and used it to underline that the game still has a race problem, citing that old chestnut, the lack of black managers and /or black administrators.
    Last edited by sidders; 11-12-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Worth a look but too lightweight for the battle we've got coming especially with heavy winter pitches without heating. hth

I think it’s all being blown out of proportion. Was he racially abused at the weekend, most definitely. Does it happen too often? It probably does. However, football reflects society. Where as it stands there will always be an undercurrent of fascists. There were 40,000 people at the game being analysed. If you got a town with a population of 40k, what are the odds that someone in that town is racist? I am not saying it is right, as it most certainly is not.
    As for Sterling himself. Is it his fault that he earns obscene amounts of money? Is he the only England player that never plays to the levels he seemingly does for club? Is Sterling the only footballer that buys expensive things? Is Sterling the only footballer to have a tattoo that someone does not like? How many other footballers or anyone remotely famous are spread across the news about any of the above? That is where the problem is, and I do think Stirling gets the **** end of the stick in this respect. And I do think that there is an element of racism in our media.

Having watched the video the guy in the glasses certainly calls him a black c***.
    However, one racist moron doesn’t define why Sterling is disliked.
    The Great British public love a good scapegoat, and Raheem is the latest. Our media like to build players up just to knock them down again, and many people lap it up. That doesn’t mean that the media’s agenda is to spread racism, it’s purely to sell papers.
    Rooney had it, Wilshere had it, Beckham had it and Gazza had it. And they’re not black!
    Our best player currently is Harry Kane but from a media point of view he’s boring and gives them nothing to write about.
    Sterling is then arguably our next biggest profile player.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Having watched the video the guy in the glasses certainly calls him a black c***.
    However, one racist moron doesn’t define why Sterling is disliked.
    The Great British public love a good scapegoat, and Raheem is the latest. Our media like to build players up just to knock them down again, and many people lap it up. That doesn’t mean that the media’s agenda is to spread racism, it’s purely to sell papers.
    Rooney had it, Wilshere had it, Beckham had it and Gazza had it. And they’re not black!
    Our best player currently is Harry Kane but from a media point of view he’s boring and gives them nothing to write about.
    Sterling is then arguably our next biggest profile player.
    Hahaha wow. Ok. I will play. How can Stirling be compared to any of the players you mention? Rooney was vilified for shagging a granny, then drink driving whilst with some tart. Beckham for smashing his PA and being stupidly sent off against Argentina. Gazza had different issues, alcohol and knocking his ex wife about... all very much reportable, and interesting. Stirling’s worst crime is that he is less boring than Kane? Is it just me that thinks that the whole Stirling coverage is moronic?
    Why does the amount of money he earns matter? Why should his choice of tattoo make news? What he buys with his money? People have questioned his commitment to football, yet he has improved to be one of the best footballers in the Premiership.
    The media should leave the bloke alone, unless there is something worth reporting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Hahaha wow. Ok. I will play. How can Stirling be compared to any of the players you mention? Rooney was vilified for shagging a granny, then drink driving whilst with some tart. Beckham for smashing his PA and being stupidly sent off against Argentina. Gazza had different issues, alcohol and knocking his ex wife about... all very much reportable, and interesting. Stirling’s worst crime is that he is less boring than Kane? Is it just me that thinks that the whole Stirling coverage is moronic?
    Why does the amount of money he earns matter? Why should his choice of tattoo make news? What he buys with his money? People have questioned his commitment to football, yet he has improved to be one of the best footballers in the Premiership.
    The media should leave the bloke alone, unless there is something worth reporting on.
    100% correct. Sterling’s instagram post was a very eloquent illustration of the difference in treatment between him and the likes of Phil Foden.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    So do you think it’s racially motivated?

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    So do you think it’s racially motivated?
    Can you say it definitely isn’t?

What other reason is there for reporting what they have reported?

Quote Originally Posted by notts78 View Post
    hahaha wow. Ok. I will play. How can stirling be compared to any of the players you mention? Rooney was vilified for shagging a granny, then drink driving whilst with some tart. Beckham for smashing his pa and being stupidly sent off against argentina. Gazza had different issues, alcohol and knocking his ex wife about... All very much reportable, and interesting. Stirling’s worst crime is that he is less boring than kane? Is it just me that thinks that the whole stirling coverage is moronic?
    Why does the amount of money he earns matter? Why should his choice of tattoo make news? What he buys with his money? People have questioned his commitment to football, yet he has improved to be one of the best footballers in the premiership.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    this
    Quote from Sterling during the Liverpool dispute in 2015

"That’s not me at all. Money is not everything in my life,” he added. “I talk about winning trophies throughout your career. I don’t talk about how many cars I’m going to drive, how many houses I’ve got. I don’t want to be perceived as a money grabbing 20-year-old.”

I'm sure if he maintains that philosophy, any complaints he makes will be totally justified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast