+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reserves vs Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed the game but please don't overlook the glaringly obvious before you say, " These players put the first team to shame with their energy and skill and the football they play".

This level of competition is truly pitiful. It's played at a jog-trot, with minimal physical contact, between two teams of boys and a few stiffs. Most of these players would drown, without a trace, in the ugly, brutal, man's world of Div 2 !
    Do you watch the reserves?

What you say about a jog-trot shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

Great post and video!
    Some lovely movement off the ball by our youngsters,especially down the right hand side!...not seen that for months!!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the game but please don't overlook the glaringly obvious before you say, " These players put the first team to shame with their energy and skill and the football they play".

This level of competition is truly pitiful. It's played at a jog-trot, with minimal physical contact, between two teams of boys and a few stiffs. Most of these players would drown, without a trace, in the ugly, brutal, man's world of Div 2 !
    Thought most of the first team was jog trotting its way through league 2 hence our goals against to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    Do you watch the reserves?

What you say about a jog-trot shows you have no idea what you are talking about.
    I used to watch Notts Reserves regularly, when they played in the North Midlands League because the majority of games were played in the evenings. It used to be good for a laugh and we had some genuine talent amongst our youth players, ones who went on to make the step up to the first team

The current reserve setup is IMO a lower standard to the North Midlands League in every way. You are, I guess from your username, retired. I'm in full time employment, so afternoon midweek kick offs are a complete non-starter.

Like I said, i'm glad you enjoy these 'kickabouts' but I stand by my contention that MOST of these players are simply not physically or mentally strong enough for first team football. IMO MOST of them never will be.

The gulf between this level and the level that our cr@p current first team play in is enormous.

I used to watch Notts Reserves regularly, when they played in the North Midlands League because the majority of games were played in the evenings. It used to be good for a laugh and we had some genuine talent amongst our youth players, ones who went on to make the step up to the first team

The current reserve setup is IMO a lower standard to the North Midlands League in every way. You are, I guess from your username, retired. I'm in full time employment, so afternoon midweek kick offs are a complete non-starter.

Like I said, i'm glad you enjoy these 'kickabouts' but I stand by my contention that MOST of these players are simply not physically or mentally strong enough for first team football. IMO MOST of them never will be.

The gulf between this level and the level that our cr@p current first team play in is enormous.
    The team that played Tuesday beat a championship reserve team, the level is far higher than North Midlands League. We have a lot of talented U23's, it seems you are comparing today's reserves with the reserves of 10 years or more ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    The team that played Tuesday beat a championship reserve team, the level is far higher than North Midlands League. We have a lot of talented U23's, it seems you are comparing today's reserves with the reserves of 10 years or more ago.
    Absolute tosh. First of all he's probably comparing against the 70s team, when we had 1,000 plus watching games played at Meadow Lane. I used to watch every game, and we had a very good team. Mick Vinter played at that level, and when he stepped up, he scored enough goals to save us from relegation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12