+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Queens v Dunfermline

Having said all that in my last post , I have to say that the weather was as brutal as I can remember and I can go back 40 years of watching Queens. Tony Gervaise got taken off with hypothermia in Nov 85 v Dunfermilne and the conditions yesterday were worse than that top of the table clash 33 years ago . Its maybe been colder before but the cold/ wind/ rain combination trio was something else . On reaching my front door after game , my hands were that cold that I couldn't turn the key. I finally got in and just lay curled up in bed for a while to try and warm up before I went for a 12 hour night shift !
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 16-12-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Having said all that in my last post , I have to say that the weather was as brutal as I can remember and I can go back 40 years of watching Queens. Tony Gervaise got taken off with hypothermia in Nov 85 v Dunfermilne and the conditions yesterday were worse than that top of the table clash 33 years ago . Its maybe been colder before but the cold/ wind/ rain combination trio was something else . On reaching my front door after game , my hands were that cold that I couldn't turn the key. I finally got in and just lay curled up in bed for a while to try and warm up before I went for a 12 hour night shift !
    JR for us hardy souls that braved that yesterday it was far from a wondrous experience in those conditions which were as nasty as I can remember in a long time. Not a brilliant game for David Norman to say goodbye to the club but a nice gesture at the end of the interview from Sandra to give a little memento of his time at Queens although he did point out conditions were slightly different from Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    No, I certainly did not. Fool you...

I'll be travelling to Alloa next weekend? Will you?
    So you are giving your money to Alloa FC and not QOS

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    JR for us hardy souls that braved that yesterday it was far from a wondrous experience in those conditions which were as nasty as I can remember in a long time. Not a brilliant game for David Norman to say goodbye to the club but a nice gesture at the end of the interview from Sandra to give a little memento of his time at Queens although he did point out conditions were slightly different from Vancouver.
    David Norman comes across as an unassuming and pleasant guy along wuth being a pretty decent footballer. We will all wish him well now at Whitecaps and his future career.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasQOS View Post
    So you are giving your money to Alloa FC and not QOS
    Well I've no choice as it is an AWAY match...

JR, I mentioned the Tony Gervaise issue to some people on Saturday and I'm surprised that a few players did not suffer from hypothermia on Saturday, - because that combination was much worse than the conditions up at East End Park back then.

That said, the conditions were nowhere near as bad as the Met Office suggested, - and to issue an amber warning was way over the top. Unfortunately for them, - that was a major 'cry wolf' moment and the next time, - people will completely ignore the warnings which could end up in tragedy or thousands of people being trapped on ice or snow bound roads.

To the match itself, how Dunfermline did not end up with 3 or 4 goals will remain a mystery. A combination of superb, reflex saves from Martin, - saturating the goal mouth with defenders, poor shooting by the Athletic players and sheer luck earned us a point, but it certainly had nothing to do with Naysmith's tactics!

Why did he ask Harkins to play in the role of loan striker, - when he is 35 years old and is recovering from a hamstring injury? Risking him upfront on a day of severe wind chill was crazy, - especially when Murray and Bell were on the bench and they could have run the Dunfermline defence a merry dance.

As it was the Dunfermline defence and midfield were given so much time, - they had the opportunity to put a foot on the ball and then weigh up whether the were going to pass forward, square or to the flanks, - they were never challenged and it was an utter disgrace. Please watch the entire 90 minutes Mr. Naysmith and provide your team with copious coffee to stop them falling asleep, - or better still, - take the players out to Brown Brothers and watch the video in one of their refrigerated lorries, preferably with a large fan blowing freezing air on them and with some rain thrown in for some good measure, - just to get the authenticity of what it was like for the brave 700 supporters who turned up to watch that utter dross.

While you're watching the video, - ask yourself why Martin didn't attempt to claim the ball at any of the corners? This has been a repeated request on this Board for many, many months. It was a pure fluke that we didn't lose several goals from allowing the opposition to attack at will.

Why did we not leave Frizzell on the centre circle at corners, - as it would have meant at least two defenders watching him and it would have also given us an outlet to give our defence a breather.

The biggest question though has to be this: Why was Stirling on the bench? Is that the best way to reward your player who came off the bench against Ross County and scored the previous week? Saturday was all about playing the ball on the deck and running at defenders and Stirling would have done just that........but was he injured?

Most appalling of all was the fact that we never had a shot on target, - and their goalkeeper Robinson often swelled the ranks of the Dunfermline midfield, - but he might as well have come up front as their was no risk of us scoring.

Please be in no doubt that was an appalling display on Saturday which was tactically inept.

I am happy to stand up and back you when many berate you, but that display on Saturday was totally and utterly unacceptable.
    Last edited by jardi; 17-12-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    JR, I mentioned the Tony Gervaise issue to some people on Saturday and I'm surprised that a few players did not suffer from hypothermia on Saturday, - because that combination was much worse than the conditions up at East End Park back then.

That said, the conditions were nowhere near as bad as the Met Office suggested, - and to issue an amber warning was way over the top. Unfortunately for them, - that was a major 'cry wolf' moment and the next time, - people will completely ignore the warnings which could end up in tragedy or thousands of people being trapped on ice or snow bound roads.

To the match itself, how Dunfermline did not end up with 3 or 4 goals will remain a mystery. A combination of superb, reflex saves from Martin, - saturating the goal mouth with defenders, poor shooting by the Athletic players and sheer luck earned us a point, but it certainly had nothing to do with Naysmith's tactics!

Why did he ask Harkins to play in the role of loan striker, - when he is 35 years old and is recovering from a hamstring injury? Risking him upfront on a day of severe wind chill was crazy, - especially when Murray and Bell were on the bench and they could have run the Dunfermline defence a merry dance.

As it was the Dunfermline defence and midfield were given so much time, - they had the opportunity to put a foot on the ball and then weigh up whether the were going to pass forward, square or to the flanks, - they were never challenged and it was an utter disgrace. Please watch the entire 90 minutes Mr. Naysmith and provide your team with copious coffee to stop them falling asleep, - or better still, - take the players out to Brown Brothers and watch the video in one of their refrigerated lorries, preferably with a large fan blowing freezing air on them and with some rain thrown in for some good measure, - just to get the authenticity of what it was like for the brave 700 supporters who turned up to watch that utter dross.

While you're watching the video, - ask yourself why Martin didn't attempt to claim the ball at any of the corners? This has been a repeated request on this Board for many, many months. It was a pure fluke that we didn't lose several goals from allowing the opposition to attack at will.

Why did we not leave Frizzell on the centre circle at corners, - as it would have meant at least two defenders watching him and it would have also given us an outlet to give our defence a breather.

The biggest question though has to be this: Why was Stirling on the bench? Is that the best way to reward your player who came off the bench against Ross County and scored the previous week? Saturday was all about playing the ball on the deck and running at defenders and Stirling would have done just that........but was he injured?

Most appalling of all was the fact that we never had a shot on target, - and their goalkeeper Robinson often swelled the ranks of the Dunfermline midfield, - but he might as well have come up front as their was no risk of us scoring.

Please be in no doubt that was an appalling display on Saturday which was tactically inept.

I am happy to stand up and back you when many berate you, but that display on Saturday was totally and utterly unacceptable.
    Yes the performance on Saturday was abject at best and we offered no forward threat throughout. Jordan Marshall was probably our best attacking player and for the Manager to put Harkins up front at the start of the second half was even more baffling than the absence of Stirling in the starting line up as he can always off a threat with his pace. Frizzel looked and played like a lost soul out there amongst others equally under performing but that may have been the effect of the atrocious weather. Need to have a far more positive approach for the Ayr game or they will reap their revenge on the 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post

I am happy to stand up and back you when many berate you, but that display on Saturday was totally and utterly unacceptjiable.
    But, but, but, Jardi , we got a point, a clean sheet, still 4th, depleted squad, blah, blah. Don't let that fact that we probably achieved this more by good luck and Dunfermline's inability to convert their chances detract from Naysmith's shrewd tactical genius. Even if we got beat we would still be in 4th I think. Even without Dobbie, who probably wouldn't have seen much of the ball if he had played so poor was our build up play, zero shots on target in a home game is absolutely depressing. Conditions were bad, Dunfermline handled it better, but I expected us to come more into it after the break, we did slightly but still no great threat to Dunfermline's defence. Naysmith and Stirling must have an issue, why else was he not involved after last week's showing? He would certainly have been a threat going forward on the wing. I can see us setting up for another defensive display at Alloa, hopefully our luck holds out again and we scrape a point.
    Last edited by Auld_Chippy; 17-12-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Today's Standard suggests that Naysmith will blank the tape from Saturday!

Nay sir, - that is not the way to move forward! Use the tape as a tool to embarrass a full time side into realising just how bad they were.

On top of that, - even though Martin was truly brilliant at shot stopping last Saturday, - please use it as a tool to prove that any decent side will take lots of goals off us - if Martin does not start coming to claim crosses, - or at least punch the ball. I've mentioned this point for well over a year now, - but still nothing is done about it! - Why is that Mr. Naysmith? You are the manager after all!

If Shankland hits top form against us in 11 days time, - we will certainly be embarrassed then, - so better to start working on the problem now.

Furthermore, we play Dundee at Dens Park in a month's time, and Kenny Miller will rip us apart if Martin does not start to claim those balls into the box.

The one thing that an attacker fears is a keeper who punches the ball, - conversely the one thing an attacker loves is the opportunity to head the ball unchallenged.

So yes, - I'm sure I sound like a record that's stuck, - but Queens are going nowhere in the league or the Scottish Cup until we start ironing out the problem of dealing with balls into the box.

Oh and rather than blanking that tape...........the entire team should be forced to watch that debacle, - if only to work on the basics like closing down opponents.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)