+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the start of something new?

Lightbulb Is this the start of something new?

Just reflecting on David Norman's time at Queens and I wondered if there is potentially a relationship in the making between ourselves and Vancouver Whitecaps. The way that the MLS is progressing it could be of benefit to both parties in terms of youth/coaching exchange.

On another note, without being too stereotypical it could even be a potential benefit to the likes of Solway Sharks, especially with Ice Hockey growing so rapidly in the UK at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by CptQueens View Post
    Just reflecting on David Norman's time at Queens and I wondered if there is potentially a relationship in the making between ourselves and Vancouver Whitecaps. The way that the MLS is progressing it could be of benefit to both parties in terms of youth/coaching exchange.

On another note, without being too stereotypical it could even be a potential benefit to the likes of Solway Sharks, especially with Ice Hockey growing so rapidly in the UK at the moment.

Let’s hope so Captain. Must say I was impressed the lad and also pleased to see Queens giving the lad a great send off. Well done

An intetesting post Captain. In what way do you think the Sharks, Queens and Whitecaps could some kind of 'tie-in' that could benefit all three clubs ?

I see the Solway Sharks much like Queens having been around for a long time now and although picking up league titles
    and cups they have never played in the top British Ice Hockey League and, of course, the Doonhamers have not appeared
    in Scotland's top football league since 1964.

An excellent signing but one I can’t see us repeating.

The relationship with Sheffield Utd is one that really could benefit us.

Semple has played nearly 25 games which in loan terms is a great number of games. That will impress Sheffield and hopefully encourage them to send more players our way.

By looking at young Semple interviews he has thoroughly enjoyed his time with us.

Was there not some connection with Norman to someone at the club hence the reason he came ?
    He did well, decent player and really got stuck in. Shame we didn't have him for the season .

Is it confirmed Semple is going back ?

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    Was there not some connection with Norman to someone at the club hence the reason he came ?
    He did well, decent player and really got stuck in. Shame we didn't have him for the season .

Is it confirmed Semple is going back ?

The deal was helped by a connection of assistant Dougie Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    An intetesting post Captain. In what way do you think the Sharks, Queens and Whitecaps could some kind of 'tie-in' that could benefit all three clubs ?
    Not entirely sure how it could work In practice but it would be interesting to look at it closer, especially with there appearing to be no real significant investor in and around the area. I know the MLS was previously a laughing stock to world football but in reality it is being run in a fantastic way for entertainment, business and sporting purposes. We would be kidding ourselves if we said the Scottish game is in better shape. We could grab ourselves a tiny slice of a market that will only continue to grow. Maybe even through the Dumfries council finding a twin town or city in Canada? The benefit for them? A gateway into the European market?

Interestingly the current set up with some top ice hockey teams in the UK is they have links with Universities (including my place of work) to offer free courses which then act as an incentive for players to come across the pond to play as well as coaches. This has seen British players getting greater exposure to a new variety of player and ultimately led to the UK now being promoted the top international league to play the likes of US and Canada for the first time.

Not entirely sure how it could work In practice but it would be interesting to look at it closer, especially with there appearing to be no real significant investor in and around the area. I know the MLS was previously a laughing stock to world football but in reality it is being run in a fantastic way for entertainment, business and sporting purposes. We would be kidding ourselves if we said the Scottish game is in better shape. We could grab ourselves a tiny slice of a market that will only continue to grow. Maybe even through the Dumfries council finding a twin town or city in Canada? The benefit for them? A gateway into the European market?

Interestingly the current set up with some top ice hockey teams in the UK is they have links with Universities (including my place of work) to offer free courses which then act as an incentive for players to come across the pond to play as well as coaches. This has seen British players getting greater exposure to a new variety of player and ultimately led to the UK now being promoted the top international league to play the likes of US and Canada for the first time.
    Thanks for that good reply. There is a lot of pro Scottish sentiment in Canada . Maybe we could get twinned with a town over there although I believe we are twinned to a German town at present. I should know the name as I cycle by the Dumfries sign nearly every day and the name of place we are partnered with..
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 17-12-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Twinned with Gifhorn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)