+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Naysmith's 2 years at Palmerston

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Captain I like your style and your thinking, - which is logical and sustainable in a normal business setting. However, the problem with football is that it is not a normal business, and the paying public are not willing to wait for 4- 5 years to see players being nurtured in the way they should, - especially as they will then be simply cherry-picked by the bigger clubs.

Until or unless football at the highest level realises that without grass roots clubs, they are nothing, and that ultimately they will die out quicker than the dinosaurs in a cataclysmic catastrophe.

An agreement must be set that a decent percentage of any deal from a major sponsor is set aside to support grass roots clubs across the country, - finding and nurturing talent, who are then able to progress through a pyramid system, - with each successive club benefiting from their input. That is the only way to ensure that football survives.

The 'dog eat dog' system is all very well, but we are already witnessing cannibalism on a massive scale, and eventually like all models of capitalism, the top dog will have no alternative but to eat itself.
    Excellent post Jardi which hits the nail on the head on precisely why the game at our lower level struggles so much. However can you ever see the situation improving with some of the much needed money filtering down to the lower levels or will the upper echelon simply greedily grab as much as they can without any consideration of the game at our level?
    It's not even worth asking the question as we all know the answer to that one.

Spike, sadly we do all know the answer.

There will come a time, (when clubs realise that they should have invested in grass roots teams) however, by then, as always, it will be too late. I may not see it, - but it will happen when football destroys itself through pure greed, - but the game will wait until the tsunami is about to strike before attempting to run for the hills and save itself.

Now is the time to act, as the sea draws slowly, almost imperceptibly back from the beach, sucking the life out of the tiny creatures who have no strength to fight back.

I do hope I'm wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Spike, sadly we do all know the answer.

There will come a time, (when clubs realise that they should have invested in grass roots teams) however, by then, as always, it will be too late. I may not see it, - but it will happen when football destroys itself through pure greed, - but the game will wait until the tsunami is about to strike before attempting to run for the hills and save itself.

Now is the time to act, as the sea draws slowly, almost imperceptibly back from the beach, sucking the life out of the tiny creatures who have no strength to fight back.

I do hope I'm wrong!

jardi you have it spot on ,everything in football is inflating and not just the balls ,prices to watch matches ,player wages ,among other costs ,if the trend of these things keep rising it will have to come to a point somewhere down the line when it shudders to a halt .

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Same with me mate. He will be gone though in the first semi decent offer he gets .
    Indeed he will. Just as he did when he came here from East Fife.

Personally I'd be glad to see the back of him and the proof of his progress to date is the crowds which speaks volumes.
    Without dobbie would be probably be 30% less at a normal have me game.
    His patter is dour and if he's anything like that in the dressing room you can imagine the atmosphere.
    Furthermore id love to see how many positions he's applied for by being at queen's, desperate to climb that ladder at any expense but just an opinion.

Naysmith's tactics mean pub on Saturdays for most!

We could have a lot worse a manager but also a lot better.
    If we want to go places he's not the man for the job. If we want to just plod along , a safe bet then he's perfect.
    One thing is, the players do seem to play for him. He has brought some decent players in on the whole.
    Just think he could get more out of them if he was more tactically daring. The old saying of tries not to get beat rather than goes out to win sums him up perfectly imo Fine away from home but not at home.

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    We could have a lot worse a manager but also a lot better.
    If we want to go places he's not the man for the job. If we want to just plod along , a safe bet then he's perfect.
    One thing is, the players do seem to play for him. He has brought some decent players in on the whole.
    Just think he could get more out of them if he was more tactically daring. The old saying of tries not to get beat rather than goes out to win sums him up perfectly imo Fine away from home but not at home.

With the current state of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if the board are just wanting someone to keep us plodding along for the next few years before then attempting another drive for success.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    Naysmith's tactics mean pub on Saturdays for most!

Last Queens game you attended was .....?

Quote Originally Posted by CptQueens View Post
    With the current state of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if the board are just wanting someone to keep us plodding along for the next few years before then attempting another drive for success.

with queens making a loss every seasons end i cant see us holding out for a drive for success anytime soon and in the meantime we are loosing fans while plodding along stagnating ,only way we can get success is either through investment or a new approach ,which would mean a new more tactical manager ,which still doesnt guarantee success but at least it would be seen as trying .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)