+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: United 1 WBA 2 - report

United 1 WBA 2 - report

Sorry for the late report…was straight out on my work Xmas do after the game and been busy with various family stuff etc today…..
    ---
    United’s poor form against fellow sides occupying the top 6 places continued as they lost to West Brom on Friday evening. It is now only 1 win from 5 at Bramall Lane as well and no wins in the last 3 games on home territory. Ultimately it was the same old story as a decent start to the game and good, energetic football saw United take the game to the visitors but poor defending let the Baggies back in and after this there was only one winner as the Blades yet again ran out of steam.
    Manager Wilder went back to his usual strongest eleven in many people eyes with Sharp and Duffy back in for Washington and Lundstram. Tyler Smith was on the bench after being recalled from Barrow in the week. West Brom had a star packed starting eleven featuring current and former internationals.

In bitterly cold weather conditions, the Blades started the brighter with Duffy influential early on. The midfielder hit a curling cross shot that Johnstone had to push around the post. Egan headed wide from the resultant corner. United kept pressing and Norwood’s range of passing was impressive again. United’s good start was rewarded when they took the lead. It came after West Brom threatened ton the break but Basham halted Barnes with a superb tackle. Norwood played it onto Duffy whose through ball was precise and beat the offside trap. MCGOLDRICK was onto it and held off Dawson before finishing coolly via the post. It was a big moment for the striker after missing so many chances in recent weeks.

United continued to impress and another smart move saw several passes before McGoldrick blazed high and wide. Duffy then nearly found Sharp after another good move. West Brom had not threatened but won a free kick but Barnes sent it over the top. From a corner Gayle had his effort blocked from O’Connell.

The Blades were back on the attack and more fluent football saw O’Connell advance and his cross was superb but evaded everyone and was cleared. The visitors had not really been in it but suddenly they were level. Norwood’s pass was straight to an opponent and as it came forward Barnes got down the left. His cross went through a sea of bodies and fell perfectly for the unmarked BARRY whose finish was superb, right into the top corner with his left foot giving Henderson no chance. Soon after the goalkeeper had to save from Phillips after Fleck had given it away. Norwood also made a mistake soon after and United threatened to unravel after such a solid start.

The second half saw the early stages with West Brom having much more of the ball and were winning the loose stuff too. They were also playing noticeably higher up the field. United were struggling to get a foothold and Rodriguez and Phillips were causing issues getting into little pockets. Barry was becoming more influential also and Fleck and Norwood were now not in the game. At the top of the field Sharp had barely had a kick. O’Connell tangled with Gayle and there were loud appeals for a penalty waved away.

Coutts came on for the disappointing Fleck as United tried to get on the ball more.

On the hour West Brom should have scored. Egan misjudged the ball on the bounce and actually handled it in an attempt to stop the attack but the referee wisely played on. The ball was played across to an unmarked Barnes but with just the keeper to beat Henderson managed to get enough on the shot to deflect it over.

West Brom continued to control things and Rodriguez then darted forward and shot wide with men over before Phillips fed Gayle and Basham had to make a last-ditch interception. With 14 minutes to go; West Brom were in front. A ball forward was chased down by Phillips and Egan could not handle his pace and he took the ball away from the defender who was grounded. The cross came over and once again the visitors had a number of men forward. Barnes cleverly flicked towards GIBBS who hit a superb low finish right into the corner.

Washington came on for Duffy as United tried to make something happen but were struggling to create much. However Sharp had a good chance when the ball came over and the skipper was well placed but blazed over. After this West Brom managed the game expertly as the game ticked into three minutes of stoppage time. United could not muster even an attack in this period as the visitors celebrated the come from behind win as the full time whistle went.

United – I came out feeling really flat last night. Maybe I should not and that is not that I am critical of the team or Wilder. Sure a few could have done better and Wilder could have reacted to the change of tactics maybe. We could have made changes (Sharp should have come off for Washington long before the 2nd goal) but the reality is these players and this manager are doing as well as they can do. We are a good side but not a great one and not a team that looks like it believes it can beat the better teams or get promoted.

We are getting the most out of the group. However, we are not quite good enough. We are bottom of the form guide out of the top 6 teams in terms of games against fellow contenders. People will say we beat Norwich but for me it is beating these teams when they are in the top 6 and are contenders with you that is the difference. We rarely did it last year and have not done it all this year. We have been unlucky in some games but when it matters, we have had big drop off in performances particularly in the second half of games against the likes of Derby, Leeds and West Brom. All three teams were there for the taking but we simply do not have enough quality at either end of the field to make it count. You sensed what would happen when they scored last night.

I am going to get slammed for this when we still sit in the top 6; but I came out sensing déjà vu from last season and cannot see us finishing much higher than the 10th we got last year. I think us being 3rd before last night will see a long time ago in a months’ time. I hope I am wrong but the body language of the players last night was almost an acceptance of they are not quite as good as their counterparts. That is a worry when we are so high up and concerns me.

I do not see the belief, mental strength and ability in this group to finish big games like the ones we have thrown away this season. They looked a beaten side last night even at 1-1 I felt. I did not sense they felt we could go on and win and it seemed inevitable they would get the winner After that I felt Wilder’s words summed things up when he said the players just looked like they then wanted to come off. Apart from the Sharp wild finish we never hurt them at all and second half did not have one shot on target or barely an effort on goal at all.

We have got the most we can out of these and I can only see us dropping down the league in future weeks. That is no knock on this group but they looked knackered last night and we are not even half way through the season. Keith Andrews on Sky summed it up. We start games well but cannot keep that intensity up and if we don’t finish teams off and we rarely do; teams then just pick us up and we look a tired group. Everyone keeps saying if we invest but we know now it is loans and I struggle to see how we can compete with fellow Championship teams for the decent Premier League loans we can get. They will blow us out of the water as they already have with the likes of Wilson, Mount, Abraham etc as Andrews said on Sky.

It is weird as we are still playing fairly well. It is good football and mostly decent to watch but we continually come up short when it counts. That means it is frustrating and you can sense that what happened last season is happening again. We will probably get a result at Ipswich but then play Derby and you sense the same thing will happen again; against a better team with quality to hurt us and we will dip out again.

West Brom – Really poor first 20-25 minute and deservedly behind. They have a wealth of talent but this did not show first half and we could have maybe got a few more goals with a bit more quality. They looked poor at the back and very square and you sensed as well they were not up for it. A decent goal changed everything and Moore must have got into them at the half. They then took over. They tweaked things second half and played higher up the field; pushed the wing backs on and Barry just sat in front of the defence and controlled the game. They played through the lines and looked dangerous every time they attacked 2nd half. They could have had another goal before they scored and after the winner; they saw out the game really easily with only one chance for Sharp. They deserved the win on reflection as they had more of the ball, more shots on and off goal and I felt had the better players – this is after a poor half hour but over the game 1-2 was about right really.

They have so much pace, talent and power. The players at the top of the field are in a different league to ours and have others in reserve that would walk into our team. They of course have a ridiculously higher wage bill and resources but that is what we are up against and there will always be teams coming down. If we want to challenge, we have to get somewhere near these teams in terms of outlay of resources. If we can’t do that/won’t it will be the same this season as last and next season.

I expect them to finish top two at the end of the season. I think them, Villa and Stoke have the best squads in the division and these three should occupy 3/6 places at the top (I expect Stoke to come strong). This means with Leeds, Boro who I expect to be up there; and with Norwich the pacesetters; you sense how hard it is for us to get in the top 6 and that is not even thinking about Derby, Forest etc. That is why my 10-11th prediction is not as outlandish as I feel some may say.

Opponent man of the match – Gareth Barry won Man of the Match. After Norwood had played well, he controlled things after the half hour mark and dictated the game second half. The front lads caused one or two problems with their running and pace – with Barnes and Phillips in particular.

Weak link – The defence could be got at and have some slow and clumsy players in Dawson and Hegazi. Adarabioyo was really poor and made a number of mistakes though and I felt he was the weaklink for them. Gayle was quiet-ish last night.

Henderson 7/10 – Not too much to do but he made a great save from the one on one from Barnes. H made a few other more routine saves. His kicking was ok with only one into touch considering we kept putting him under pressure again. Had bounced back well from that mistake. He was left badly exposed second half after having little to do in the first half.

Baldock 5/10 – I am not sure he has impressed me that much since he came back into the team. It was the right move with Freeman’s drop-in form but he has not made the shirt his own and not been like he was for much of last season. He looks a bit timid in tackling and his play and when he gets it does not have the drive or attacking thrust, he did show last season. His crossing is appalling. He has no confidence when he gets down the right that he will put the ball into a good area and he seems to lack the strength to put over a cross with pace and they often dribble to no one.

Stevens 7/10 – Think he played reasonably well. He has been one of our better players this season despite the usual unfair criticism. Stuck to his defensive task and was really far forward first half and involved in lots of good moves. Second half he had to defend more and they stretched us all over the field. Not sure he made any big errors or got caught out individually though. His crossing when he gets forward is not great and he really needs to work on this as he gets into good areas but pulls back these soft and weak crosses so often.

Egan 4/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare I felt last night. Made a number of mistakes or was slow to react to things. He had made a few errors even before the big ones second half. He mistimed a ball and handled it and got booked and they should have scored with this one but then he lost a race with Phillips but failed to either foul him or knock it out and he got away and they scored. Made a few silly back passes again too. They let him have the ball and he struggled to use it very well at all. Also, Gayle outjumped him on a few headers which was odd.

O’Connell 6/10 – Mixed really. He did some good things with a few headers and tackles and he also got forward first half on a couple of occasions. One cross that was deflected just wide was a beauty. He struggled at times with the pace and running second half but felt that the midfield in front did not help as we let them have so much of the ball and time to make the forward passes through the gaps.

Basham 7.5/10 – Maybe our best player again – rivalling Duffy I suppose. He was all action and athletic again. Made tackles, blocks and got up and down. First half he was excellent and helped us carry the ball forward so many times. Maybe could have done a bit better to stop the cross in the first half on the goal. Second half he was put under more pressure and had to defend more and I felt Baldock did not help him much meaning he had almost defended two players at times. Might be our player of the season so far in terms of consistency.

Fleck 4/10 – I think he had had 4 or 5 decent games this season but overall, I think he had had a poor season. He rarely makes those driving runs, is not assisting for goals and looks a mile off the player of the last few seasons. Looks sluggish and also is not involved in games. When he does his passing is incredibly sloppy and he did that numerous times last night. He is just not playing very well at all and it was right he was taken off. A lot of talk about whether Norwood playing supresses him but I don’t buy that. He had to contribute more and get on the ball more. He seems to be hiding at times and not available for passes. May need taking out for a spell but then he normally is rubbish after breaks/suspensions but at the moment he has been one of our poorer players.

Norwood 6/10 – Superb to open the game with lots of pinging passes, clever touches and controlled the game. He was at the heart of everything we did. Then he knocked a few passes too long, gave the ball away on the goal and then became sloppy and his passing went awry. Second half he was largely anonymous. It is a worry how much he fades in games and the second half performances he puts in or often night and day from how he starts games.

Duffy 7.5/10 – First half our best player and was a real threat. He got on the ball, found himself in some great areas and was all over the field. It was one of those nights when he just looked bang up for it. They struggled with his running and movement. He set up the goal and involved in the other good attacks we had. As per normal he faded second half but that is because we did not have the ball and they were the aggressor. I would have still left him on as he was the only one who looked like creating something.

Sharp 5/10 – Never in the game. Got outmuscled off it much of the evening and looked quite leggy. Had one chance and blazed over badly when he should have at least made the keeper work. He had one of those nights where he was anonymous. I can see the reason why Wilder left him on as he can get a goal but felt Washington may have stretched some slow and leggy centre backs.

McGoldrick 7/10 – Some neat and tidy touches and link up play early on and felt he was good in that first period of the game. Had one chance he blazed over and another effort blocked but did score with a cool finish and at long last some composure. He did not see much of the ball at all in the second half and was defending/chasing as they had the ball so much more.

Subs –

Coutts 5/10 – I felt he may help us get more of the ball but he joined in with the rest in that he was really poor. He gave it away a few times and when he did keep it; it was only through the odd square and backwards ball. Cannot remember much he did positively really and got outpaced and shoved off it a few times. Looks badly off the pace and looks so slow. People may talk about what he was before and what he may be when he plays more games but I can only judge him on what I see at the moment. Sadly, that is someone who looks weak, slow and is not influencing games. He had a fair spell on the field today too.

Washington – Played for 15 minutes but cannot recall him touching the ball much as we did not really threaten or have any sustained possession or pressure.

Johnson – Brought on at the end but too late to really do much of anything.

Wilder 6/10 – Usual story. First half good for most of it but then we fell apart for a spell. You expected second half him to get us regrouped but as usual the let down after the break at the Lane came again. Not sure what he says to them at half time but either it is not working, they are not following his instructions or as I suspect are just so knackered from efforts earlier in the game, the pressing and passing goes completely. His changes did not work. I agreed with Fleck coming off for Coutts in an attempt to get us more of the ball but it did not happen but he had to try. I think Sharp was not in it at all and Washington would have stretched the defence more but he did not make this chance and when he brought him on, he came on for our best attacking player Duffy.

He seemed frustrated after the game and his words in the week about us brining just loans in show he will have to somehow pull a few rabbits out of the hat again. He knows no matter what this team does, they will struggle to beat the better teams. Our passing and composure and drops are frustrating and he says he needs to look at this but I think secretly he knows that the players are just not quite good/consistent enough against the better teams. Many of the players we play in such games have played at a higher level etc, where as ours have not. There is a reason for that. We are still very much overachieving and he deserves massive credit but his frustration you sense with what he had and is not getting (financial support) will only see him stay here for so long I feel sadly.

Referee – Jeremy Simpson. Fine. One booking, Egan which was right and stupid (handball) but maybe instinctive as it went over him. Not many bad tackles all game and cannot recall him getting too much wrong. Had to give decisions when both assistants did not help him – Duffy foul for instance.

Crowd – 23,400. West Brom only brought maybe 600-700. Really poor following but bad weather, Christmas, Sky all added to that and the poor crowd overall. You would have expected a lot more for a promotion clash under the lights but the above circumstances contributed to the figure. I still was a touch disappointed with it and it was very quiet again. People keep saying that I must be deaf but once again I barely heard any news from the home fans at all and it was so flat inside the Lane even when we were winning.