+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Reading Post Match Thoughts

Has the handball on the line been mentioned?
    At the time I cheered because I thought the ball was over the line before Mattock scored, having watched the highlight it looks like handball so why didn’t their player walk?

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    At the time I cheered because I thought the ball was over the line before Mattock scored, having watched the highlight it looks like handball so why didn’t their player walk?
    I'm not sure either the referee or the liner were in any position to see the handball as there were that many players in and around the six yard box, so maybe if Mattock hadn't put the ball into the net we maybe wouldn't even have got a pen.
    Also it's an interesting point made about should their player have received a card of either colour, if the ref or liner did see it, being as we scored? Not sure of the ruling on that one but interesting point.

Difference is - Swift cost £2m and probably gets 12-15k a week.

..... it was a free transfer, according to Wikipedia..............

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I think you've answered your own question. You've only seen the handball with the benefit of a replay. Much as we criticise referees they are only human and he probably didn't see it in real time either because there were so many bodies inside the 6 yard box at the time.
    Doesn't really matter anyway because we scored and salvaged a point.

I like how you've written salvaged a point mellowmiller. Personally I think that we won it or nicked it.

I would have thought that even if the ref did see the handball he lets play continue for a few seconds.
    If RUFC didn't score then he awards a pen....this assumes he saw the handball though

Mentioned it in post #13 , Topper. Watched tv highlights and it is not at all obvious from that camera angle at normal film speed , although it was from my seat a few yards behind the goal. Don't think that the ref saw it, but if he did, should he have booked/sent the player off , even if he played "advantage"? I think that is still a sending-off offence, but can any qualified refs out there confirm?
    Last edited by mikemiller; 18-12-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Mentioned it in post #13 , Topper. Watched tv highlights and it is not at all obvious from that camera angle at normal film speed , although it was from my seat a few yards behind the goal. Don't think that the ref saw it, but if he did, should he have booked/sent the player off , even if he played "advantage"? I think that is still a sending-off offence, but can any qualified refs out there confirm?
    "CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
    attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
    changes places with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee’s permission
    commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence
    commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
    commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball
    denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by an offence which was an attempt to play the ball and the referee awards a penalty kick
    handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal
    makes unauthorised marks on the field of play
    plays the ball when leaving the field of play after being given permission to leave
    shows a lack of respect for the game
    uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands
    verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart"

I reckon he should have been booked (if the ref had seen it) Red card if he had prevented the goal or clear goal scoring opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    "CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
    attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
    changes places with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee’s permission
    commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence
    commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
    commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball
    denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by an offence which was an attempt to play the ball and the referee awards a penalty kick
    handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal
    makes unauthorised marks on the field of play
    plays the ball when leaving the field of play after being given permission to leave
    shows a lack of respect for the game
    uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands
    verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart"

I reckon he should have been booked (if the ref had seen it) Red card if he had prevented the goal or clear goal scoring opportunity
    Thanks for that wrinkly, very enlightening, so the fact their player didn't receive a yellow card for the handball, irrespective of the fact that we scored, suggests the officials didn't see it, so if Mattock hadn't scored and the ref not given us a penalty, would have been hard to take UTM

I’m not sure how the Ref didn’t see it tbh, yes there were plenty of bodies there but the Ref was running in and from the highlight had a good view, did he see it, did he think it was the keepers hand or is he just another Ref who can’t do his job?

This is why I think they should answer a few questions after the game, it astounds me how managers get reprimanded for having their say on the officials.

Obviously it’s a waste of time bringing it up, barriers are truly up when it comes to officials

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast