+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Great to see how Stead celebrated at the end, just showed how much it meant to him. I also noticed during the game a Tranny player get the hump with him about something and tried to provoke a reaction . The way he just calmed the lad down was a lesson in itself. The man is an absolute credit to himself and profession. Correct decision to book him though, dirty bustard.
    So pleased to read your comments. I firmly believe that Stead is the captain and leader we need on the pitch to see us through this difficult period.

Whilst Jones could have closed down the player quicker or threw himself at him and risked missing completely when the player shoots, Jones, Milsom and Ward are all in position to block the shot and it either deflects off Ward or Fitz is just beaten by a very average shot far too easily, you can't lay the full blame on Jones for it and for some fans to be screaming "get him off!" after he'd also just set up our first goal was a bit over the top.

Turley marks his man tightly and goes with him out wide so whilst he is "out of position" when the cross comes in there's not much he could have done differently other than ignore the strikers run. The cross beats Ward too easily imo, Hewitt can't get in front of the player (and shouldn't be expected to really) and Vaughan isn't likely to win many headers in our box. Not sure you can really single out an individual for it.

Fitzsimons 6.5
    Hewitt 6.5
    Turley 6.5
    Ward 6.5
    Jones 6
    Milsom 6
    Vaughan 6
    Davies 7
    Thomas 8
    Hemmings 8
    Stead 9

Ardley 9 - His subs strengthened us after his initial tactics and team selection had worked, can't ask for much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Jones at left-back was the concern. It baffles me how a player of his experience, who has played either left midfield or left-back all his career, can defend that badly. He looks terrified of confronting or tackling any wide player he faces, and yet physically he should be quite an intimidating presence. You could have put a traffic cone in the left-back position yesterday and it would have stopped more balls going into the box. Yes he created a goal and did okay going forward, but defending is his first job and he doesn't do it well enough.
    Those of us who saw him in the Munto season knew he was bang average at best and also a nasty piece of work but those voices were drowned out by others saying how much Chesterfield fans rated him, even though he hardly ever played due to injury. Before that, he was sacked by Port Vale for attacking his captain. We should never have offered him a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Sid, I think a 9 would be a point too far for Stead, don't get me wrong he did have a good match... But I would knock a point off him for the stupid tackle he did, which deservedly he received a booking for...Some of the refs we have seen at the lane this season would have sent him off IMO...Thomas was MOTM for me, much improved...
    It was a slightly late slide tackle with no studs showing that Stead thought he could make with the wet pitch. How he got a yellow and there player got nothing for a later challenge on Thomas where he left his stoods in I’ll never know.
    I was just glad to see determination.

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    So pleased to read your comments. I firmly believe that Stead is the captain and leader we need on the pitch to see us through this difficult period.
    I have seen a lot of great players and one or two I regard as' legends ' in my years supporting Notts. Stead is neither but he will be a player I will remember with great fondness . I hope he gets a job in the media. When he does an interview or is a guest pundit on Sky , not only does he come across well , he actually knows what he's talking about. So much better than some of the dross ex-players Sky come up with.
    Last edited by navypie; 16-12-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Those of us who saw him in the Munto season knew he was bang average at best.
    Yeah because basing an opinion on a player on how he performed 10 years previously is always worthwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    It was a slightly late slide tackle with no studs showing that Stead thought he could make with the wet pitch. How he got a yellow and there player got nothing for a later challenge on Thomas where he left his stoods in I’ll never know.
    I was just glad to see determination.
    I loved the determination shown by Stead as well but he got lucky. Their lad took evasive action , if he hadn't ( the conditions didn't help ) it could have been a leg breaker.
    t

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I loved the determination shown by Stead as well but he got lucky. Their lad took evasive action , if he hadn't ( the conditions didn't help ) it could have been a leg breaker.
    t
    If you think that absolutely standard sliding tackle could be a leg breaker you might as well say any tackle could be a leg breaker, which I suppose is true.

A player breaking his leg shouldn't automatically mean a red card though, it can just be bad luck, a lad I went to school with who I realised yesterday now plays for Basford United broke someones leg in an interform match at lunch time and there was nothing at all wrong with the tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    If you think that absolutely standard sliding tackle could be a leg breaker you might as well say any tackle could be a leg breaker, which I suppose is true.

A player breaking his leg shouldn't automatically mean a red card though, it can just be bad luck, a lad I went to school with who I realised yesterday now plays for Basford United broke someones leg in an interform match at lunch time and there was nothing at all wrong with the tackle.
    He was late mate . Their lad did him ( and himself ) a massive favour by taking evasive action .Given the conditions , it was a leg breaker.
    Last edited by navypie; 16-12-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I saw the video of the goal and it looks like Turley wasn't where he should have been for the second? Ward usually plays on the left side doesn't he? But Turley was not between Ward and Hewitt for the goal. Ward was the nearest defender but it looks like Turley went walk about and Ward was left to cover a couple of players so a bit of both but mainly Turley I'd say
    Looking at the replay Ward was marking no one and Vaughan and Hewitt stood watching. Turley went over to cover Jones to try and stop the cross.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast