+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    He was late mate . Their lad did him ( and himself ) a massive favour by taking evasive action .Given the conditions , it was a leg breaker.
    It happened right in front of us, it was late and Stead was lucky he didn't make contact. It looked like a tackle out of frustration because Stead was getting flattened time and again and the ref doing nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Looking at the replay Ward was marking no one and Vaughan and Hewitt stood watching. Turley went over to cover Jones to try and stop the cross.
    That's what confuses me, Turley plays in the right side so why was he going to cover Jones, he was the wrong side surely?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    It happened right in front of us, it was late and Stead was lucky he didn't make contact. It looked like a tackle out of frustration because Stead was getting flattened time and again and the ref doing nothing about it.
    That 'tackle' came about because Thomas, who couldn't find a pass under pressure decided to roll the ball into an open space rather than clear it down the wing and away from danger. Stead basically had no option other than to try and win that ball and committed himself the moment he set off and wasn't pulling out. It was quite literally a sliding tackle, perfectly acceptable in the past and looked a lot worse than it probably was. It wasn't a potential leg breaker at all as he tried to win the ball with his feet low, not at shin or knee height.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    That's what confuses me, Turley plays in the right side so why was he going to cover Jones, he was the wrong side surely?
    He wasn't covering Jones, watch the replay, he goes with the Tranmere striker that makes a run in behind Ward because he would be clean through on goal if he didn't shield him away and force him to go backwards. There's no way he can then get back to being the right central defender before the cross comes in, he does his job perfectly it's just unlucky the cross beats Ward

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    He wasn't covering Jones, watch the replay, he goes with the Tranmere striker that makes a run in behind Ward because he would be clean through on goal if he didn't shield him away and force him to go backwards. There's no way he can then get back to being the right central defender before the cross comes in, he does his job perfectly it's just unlucky the cross beats Ward
    I was only going off what another poster said about him covering Jones and that confused me. I think it was just a good cross to be fair and decent movement from their attack. Sometimes you can't do anything, had Ward been tighter on the scorer, someone else isn't covered

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Yeah because basing an opinion on a player on how he performed 10 years previously is always worthwhile...
    An opinion from people who have watched the player is probably more worthwhile than some chatter on a fans' website It's also worthwhile noting that Port Vale sacked him for assaulting their captain. Or was that too long ago to matter. A lot can change in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    An opinion from people who have watched the player is probably more worthwhile than some chatter on a fans' website
    Not when they watched the player 10 years ago in a handful of games it isn't.

You can point to plenty of players that have been here on loan and gone on to have succesful careers atr the same level or higher like Jones did but two that come to mind are Chris O'Grady and Matt Ritchie. O'Grady was pants and the jury was fairly split on Matt Ritchie when he was here.

You mention a lot can change in 4 years when talking about him getting into a training ground bust up (and presumably winning, therefore losing his contract as he took on the captain) but that's exactly my point about the fact you saw him in 7 games 10 years ago. Training ground scuffle's are fairly common, he got unlucky that his part in the fight caused the damage it did but that incident on it's own doesn't make him a "nasty peice of work" nor does it make him not worthy of carrying on his profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Probably because he knows Jones is cr@p and can't defend

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Not when they watched the player 10 years ago in a handful of games it isn't.

You can point to plenty of players that have been here on loan and gone on to have succesful careers atr the same level or higher like Jones did but two that come to mind are Chris O'Grady and Matt Ritchie. O'Grady was pants and the jury was fairly split on Matt Ritchie when he was here.

You mention a lot can change in 4 years when talking about him getting into a training ground bust up (and presumably winning, therefore losing his contract as he took on the captain) but that's exactly my point about the fact you saw him in 7 games 10 years ago. Training ground scuffle's are fairly common, he got unlucky that his part in the fight caused the damage it did but that incident on it's own doesn't make him a "nasty peice of work" nor does it make him not worthy of carrying on his profession.
    All your points would be valid if it were not for the fact that he is now, as most if not all would agree, crap.

As for his character, if you remember there was an incident where Jones kicked the ball away in frustration and it hit a young Notts fan and hurt him, and Jones did not apologise. That made him unpopular at the time.

Personally I think he looks a right **** with his dyed hair and arm to arm tattoos, but I realise that's a personal thing on my part. I suppose tattoos are alright really , but I think a player should reach a certain standard before he hits the tattoo shops for double sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    All your points would be valid if it were not for the fact that he is now, as most if not all would agree, crap.

As for his character, if you remember there was an incident where Jones kicked the ball away in frustration and it hit a young Notts fan and hurt him, and Jones did not apologise. That made him unpopular at the time.

Personally I think he looks a right **** with his dyed hair and arm to arm tattoos, but I realise that's a personal thing on my part. I suppose tattoos are alright really , but I think a player should reach a certain standard before he hits the tattoo shops for double sleeves.
    I remember the incident where he smashed the ball into the kids face. I think it was the 2-2 draw with Torquay. He tried to whack it at the advertising board on the Sirrel side, but missed and smashed it square in the kids face from about 5-10 yards away. In fairness, he did come across after the game but I think it was too little too late and the crowd weren't very receptive to say the least.

I was glad we never signed him then as I thought he was average at best and in the 10 years since, can't say I've seen much improvement.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast